kkeenan

PD on TV

A TV show called "Hands on History" will feature Performance Designs in an episode about the Evolution of Parachutes. The show will be aired on the History Channel December 18, 2004 at 4:00 pm. Ron Hazelton, the host of the show, participated in the manufacturing process by learning how to inspect fabric, sewing reinforcement tapes and finger-trapping steering lines. After learning about the intricate process of building a parachute, his confidence was boosted and he decided to take one for a ride! Skydive Deland's staff took him on a tandem jump and he loved it! Don't miss it! It's going to be a great show!

View Episode information on historychannel.com!

I agree. It was a great show, but Bill Coe was pretty bland. The host was a fun guy. Bill Booth did a great demo of how a canopy opens.
I have it in my Tivo, I will try to upload it at some point.
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I agree. It was a great show, but Bill Coe was pretty bland. The host was a fun guy. Bill Booth did a great demo of how a canopy opens.
I have it in my Tivo, I will try to upload it at some point.

Thats how Bill Coe talks... He's talked like that for all 25yrs I've known him.... A great guy and the reason we have the HP chutes today....

Killer.....

I have it on TIVO (because I was jumping when it aired) - thank god for modern technology... I don't know what the copyright police would say if I uploaded it, and my current home computer does not like the firewire anymore ever since I broke the port... But, if you PM me, perhaps I could get it on DV or something.

The show synopsis:

1) Bill Coe and PD employees show the making of a PD parachute, including the laser cutting, basic airfoil/ram air discussion, inspection of fabric, sewing, strength testing, etc.

2) Bill Booth shows how a parachute deploys from the container, and discusses the change from a ripcord to pull out PC.

3) This history of the parachute (about 3 minutes)

4) The host does a tandem.

The "b-roll" footage is the PD factory team (I think) swooping ponds and stuff, and what appears to be a skyhook intentional cutaway. Also footage from WWII and parachutes slowing down space capsules into the ocean. The host does a cutaway in a harness simulator.

Good video to show friends and parents…

Relative Workshop is on the show too. These guys really seemed interested in how gear is made. It will be nice to see a show about Skydiving that isn't all "sport death". Well, let's hope anyway.

Bill, it was a pretty good show, really. I think that given the 1/2 hour they had to work with that they did a commendable job without so much as a hint at the 'sport death' theme. Hopefully you'll get the chance to see it soon.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

History Channel repeats pretty often so i'm sure it'll be on again....

I checked it and there are no re-runs this year... :(. (Their schedule does not go into 2005 yet, but still :().

I forgot to set it up to record - it would be great if someone could upload it.

I just checked on my TIVO and there are no future showings listed. I did find something called HALO:Freefall Warriors that will air on 12/30 and 12/31 (two parts) on Discovery Wings.

From the website:

Elite forces have embarked on month-long training for parachute freefall known as HALO—high altitude low opening. Follow recruits through ground school where they practice freefall maneuvers in the vertical wind tunnel.

AHHA, I just watched the online version....thanx.

I think that was a great production... easy for the whuffos to understand for sure...Their image of an inflated canopy helped a lot in the understanding...
anyways...

WAS That Bill Booth Catching a tandem? ahha, i wanna work for the history channel!!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!