Travman

Aussies - Skydiving on Today Tonight

For those of us on the Australian East coast, I have heard that the channel 7 netowrk are doing a story on skydiving companies on Today Tonight tomorrow (Monday 17 Jan).
I have no idea what its about but the person that told me about it said in the ad they referred to skydiving companies as "Rambo's risking lives"
So it sounds like the usual quality programming we get from Today Tonight.

its on at 1830 in melbourne. I saw an ad for it - it is about Barwon (they didnt mention it but I saw the pink Cresco) heard something about "skydiving operations risking peoples lives". >:(

Im not even gonna bother taping it, it will be a typical TT piece and Im guessing it wont be too accurate - it will be a load of shit

Ok, yeah it was about Skydive City in Barwon, they did mention the death of the lady last year, but it was mostly about how they are being investigated for jumping through cloud, I'm not sure why they didn't get the cloud exclusion from the APF, but they made out like is was russian roulette.

The were allegedly jumping through cloud before CASA said it could be done. I believe they also had issues with the other users of the airport.

Most of the long-time jumpers at the DZ should be able to give you the background if you're interested; all my information is second-hand.

Today Tonight is the one with the "And next, the garden hose that could kill YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!" kind of stories. Very American in style, and directly counterbalanced by A Current Affair on Nine.

Both truely horrible examples of trash tabloid journalism at their worst.

Bobby,

you really miss Oz and our babes, it seems? And you're also missing our nice summer weather at the moment.

Can you slip back for a week end february for the Moruya boogie - it's down on the beach south of Sydney and will be a real blast!!! take a look at

http://www.funnyfarm.com.au/moruya.html

for details.

Otherwiswe all is well here in Australia since you left. The breweries have been able to go back to normal production and the Sydney beach babes now feel safe again.

Blue Skies,

fergs

I watched it, just happened to be on when I was at the gym. Just about jumping through cloud at Skydive City. I did my first tandem at Barwon and we came down because of cloud cover, went back up and jumped through a hole. I could definately see the ground... but yeah i'm sure every dz abides by every single casa ruling too.

i'm sorry but i had to laugh at luke though, allegations is the world you're looking for mate, i wanted to yell it at the tv but people would have thought i was strange.
:$

anyway we all know how rad today tonight is :P:D how dramatic!

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

Oh, and how coached was that silly little tandem passenger: "All I could see was white... I was terrified... it was so dangerous". :S

The vendetta against Skydive City by other users of the airport is beyond ridiculous. They literally have pathetic little men with nothing better to do sitting at the end of the runway with binoculars in one hand and a phone in the other, ready to speeddial CASA the moment a rule appears to be broken.

Seriously. To read about the saga (mostly from the p.o.v. of the other users of the airport), go to http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php and type in Barwon as a search term. Then check out the three 'CASA raids meatbombers' threads. It takes the pilots-vs-skydivers rivalry to new lows.

nothing to see here

That show is really b grade journalism and typical of channel 7 as they chase channel 9 in ratings.

They create drama in the media without proper facts.......all here say but yet they have already have Skydive city guilty of everything.

Another case of checkbook journalism gone wrong...again..

Hope that reporter paid for her tandem.

That report made me cringe at the way they targeted that business.

I recorded the segment and put it here (20Mb) http://rapidshare.de/files-en/373961/today_tonight_skydive_17jan2005.avi.html

Poor Luke: Keep your chin up! I trust the saying "no such thing as bad publicty" is indeed correct.

Blue Skies / White Skies with signed off cloud jumping procedures;) , Benno

Thanks for posting it Ben, I missed it when it was... on....

I must say she didnt look very scared with the big freak'n grin on her face......
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I must say she didnt look very scared with the big freak'n grin on her face......

Yeah Eiley is right, I think that idiot may of been coached just a 'little' bit

Hi Stranger! :)
Have you seen the latest on Pprune? QN!M has some 'input' into Clare's death that he wants to share with the coroner.

The guy is a dangerous whackjob.

nothing to see here

yeah saw that one, I really dont know whether to bother reading pprune anymore. Its one thing to go after luke for the 'alleged' safety breaches, but suggesting he had something to do with Claire's death is a load of bull. I wonder if anyone has bothered to tell this dick that gear maintenance is the responsibility of a licensed jumper - so I've got no idea how he can rope Luke into being blamed for that...

Also interesting to since people started suggesting QNIM and RS480 were the same guy RS has suddenly stopped posting..what a coincidence eh? :)