jatofau

Purchasing a used Rig Online-

hi everyone,

my name is jason and i just wanted some advice. i'm thinking about purchasing a used rig as my first rig. i've been looking online at various places (mostly here on Dropzone.com) and wanted to know if there is a way to find out if a sale is legitamate and not someone trying to swindle someone. is there anyone out there who can offer some advice?? thanks.

-jason

What works for many people is this. say I am selling a rig and you are intrested, You and I will agree on a Rigger or a DZ that the rig will be sent to for inspection, after I contact the rigger or DZ to be sure that they will act as the third party, I ship the rig to said third party the rig is inspected at your expense if there is any, if you decide to buy the rig you send me the money, after I recieve the money, I contact the third party and advise them to release the rig to you. If you decide not to buy the rig it is shipped back to me *I* would request that you paid the return shipping id you elected not to buy the rig, but thats something that you would have to work out.

I’m not saying riggers can’t do a good job of inspecting, but if I were to purchase a used rig (and the canopy is a PD), I would require the seller to send the canopy back to PD for inspection. It only costs $15 and you get a letter stating the condition of the canopy.

When I bought a used main, the guy didn't seem too happy about using a DZO/rigger so I used an escrow service (as it happens, the all-too-conviniently entitled “escrow.com”...) You should check it out, it's worth doing and is a relatively small price to pay for a large transaction like a rig. I think it cost $25 for a transaction of over $400.

Durham University Freefall Club

Grounds For Divorce website (band I'm in)

I was helping my g/f buy a rig. Ran into one seller that was outraged at the suggestion of sending his rig for inspection to a very well known rigger for inspection even though I was willing to pay the shipping costs and for the inspection.

You wouldn't believe the rude email he wrote pointing out that the "standard procedure in the skydiving community" was for me to send him full payment first and once my payment was processed he would send the rig to me and if I wanted an inspection that was up to me at that point. And of course, if there was a problem we could "figure it out" then. He was outraged that I would even suggest using a third party, and told me I was "obviously new" to skydiving and so he would not deal with me anymore.

To me it was pretty obvious that something was wrong. I did not bother to respond to his message and I just hope who ever bought the rig ended up with what they were expecting.

Using the "trusted third party" process to handle payment and inspection has a lot of value. In the end it's what we did for the rig that my g/f bought. She's happy with her purchase and the seller got paid.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Sounds like they were trying to pull something to me. As a seller I would have no problem shipping to a known rigger at a well known DZ for inspection after speaking with said party. If, however, they wanted me to send it to some home address, I would likely refuse.

-A

Not every rigger has a business address to ship to andx honestly how can you tell the difference betwen a home address and a business address. I mean if I wanted to I could have my address listed As 1000 Highway 412 E Suite 151 and what it really means is this package will be delivered to the Post Office(which resides at 1000 HW 412) and to put it in P.O. Box 151.

It's been a while since I checked but does the FAA's online airmen's database list addresses? If so, all you need is the rigger's name and seal symbol and you can verify the address.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I mean if I wanted to I could have my address listed As 1000 Highway 412 E Suite 151 and what it really means is this package will be delivered to the Post Office(which resides at 1000 HW 412) and to put it in P.O. Box 151.

For Post Offices in the United States this is inaccurate. The physical address of a US Post Office will not show up in most address databases because it doesn't even exist in the Post Office's official address database. If you rent a PO Box at a US Post Office, you must address any item to that PO Box as "PO Box 1151, City, State, Zip"

However, if you rent a "private mail box" such as the type at the UPS Store or other private company that offers Post Office boxes, then your mail must be addressed to "John Doe, 1000 NW 4th St., PMB 1151, City, State, Zip"

If you have a question about whether or not a specific address is a business address or a residential address, call the Post Office for that specific zip code and they may share that information. You should be nice though because most people who call the Post Office act like idiots and the clerks get sick of it after awhile.
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail