Jeth

Shit!! How do I get the damn thing in the bag!?!?

I had issues as well when I first started packing. After I got my own gear (sabre 170) and got the chance to pack at home it came pretty easy. At first I thought that I had the one sabre 170 out there that always had soft openings. Now I realize that my packjobs were just messy and it made it snivel longer. Now that I am actually packing it well it's been spanking the shit out of me. Time to learn some new tricks I guess.
Anvile Brother #59

Hi Tigra,
I have a PD 9-Cell. Its got 82 jumps on it, still feels very new. (But not as slick as soarfree's new Sabre2, thankfully! )
Ya, I would really like to do it with a packer there. After I closed it I was wondering if it was flyable or not. (I had my doubts. ;)) I know I'll get it eventually. And I really want to do it for myself, so I'm trying to practice now, before the season starts. But I will definitely have several supervised pack jobs at the DZ, too.

I do have that video! I've watched it several times already.:)

Hey Jeth, what did you buy and is it new? When both me and my rig were "new", I used a packer for a long time. I finally started practicing at home, but I'd bring it in mostly packed (but looking really bad, IMO) and dump it out right in front of my packer and have him redo it. He'd always be happy to take my money, but he was also quick to point out the job I did wasn't that bad and it would have opened!

You've got til at least March to practice anyway, right? There's a video- How to Pack Like a Pro- that might help too. You could order it from Para Concepts or Paragear.

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I developed a way to get my new 190 sabre2 in the bag after the second try. It's alittle expensive but it
works... You get a pair of scissors and cut that miserable,,has eyes and a brain little piece of sh*&
nylon in half and viola'.. all kidding aside, it takes
time. I have never cursed at an inanimate object more in my life than my canopy. I am convinced that
PD installs little cameras in these new canopy's via
satelite and sit back and laugh their asses off.
"wow did you see that one jump out the bag"haha

Here's one idea...

Precision packing (I think its also known as Psycho Pack, please correct me if I am wrong)

I do not use this process and do not vouch for it. There are much more knowledgeable people than I that can comment on this process.

http://www.precision.aero/packing.htm

Watch the video at the bottom of the page. It will make you sick how fast he sticks this thing in the bag.

I've been psycho packing for years - it's the easiest way to bag a canopy - especially new ones. Openings are always the same - soft and on heading. Mind you, probably not per manufacturers recommendations, so all is at our own risk.

Blue Skies,

fergs

You know what... it is sad to say, but I am glad to hear that others are having a tough time as well. First time I tried to pack that Sabre2 190, I swear that someone changed my d-bag for a smaller one. I looked, and said that thing just ain't gonna fit in there. 3 hours later... she was in...

But... still 3 months till we can start jumping again, so I have plenty of time to practice.

That's what sucks for me. I'm not gonna have my gear till probly early May, so no off season practice for me. I'll be the guy at the DZ that gets 2 jumps a weekend cause I can't get my stuff packed up in time to make a 2nd load on Saturday.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I bought and have learnt to pack on a brand new ZP. Ive only recently started getting it bagged everytime and lately it's started to get easy. Theres plenty of good advice in this thread but at the end of the day you just have to practice. I think the bit of advice that is most useful is that you need to learn how to keep control of the folded canopy with one hand while the other gets it in the bag which is a lot harder to do than it sounds. Good luck ;)

So how many practice packs did it take before you could do it at the DZ when you wanted to get on a load?

I'm starting to think I'm gonna have to pay a packer if I want to use my gear for the rest of my training. (I don't think my instructor will want to wait 2 hours for my de-brief! ;)) But I bet I'll learn a lot faster if I AM doing it to jump!

Hey JustaBill, I told ya you could come pack my rig anytime U want. No excuses! :P
(J/K. But when U do get yours, I will wait for U to pack it so we can get on a load together. :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

you should call both of my bosses and tell them I have to have this weekend off for "packing practice" B|

I'm sure both of them would think that was perfectly fine :S
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I packed once before getting my license.

Then I bought my own rig just in time for a RW camp a team was holding at my DZ. I packed for each jump both days. Granted we were not jumping every other load, but I made it in plenty of time for every jump I was on.

I started taking about an hour to pack, but over those two days, I dropped 30 minutes off that time. Now I can pack in about 10 minutes if I really need to hurry. I usually take about 15 though cause I don't usually jump every other load

Just keep at it. Once you get past that first steep time curve, it gets MUCH easier.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Thats very encouraging to hear!

Ok, I'm going to try to pack it at the DZ even if it takes me awhile. I only do about 3 jumps a day anyway, so I'll have plenty of time inbetween! :)
PFRX!!!!!
My Jump Site

Yay I got mine back in the bag. My recommendation is ask someone to teach you to psycho pack - I found it a lot easier than pro packing.

Be sure 1st too that you understand this is NOT for absolutely EVERY canopy and d-bag set up! ...What I mean by that is the bridal length (especially on SOME collapsable models) from canopy top attachment point to d-bag may not be conducive/accomodating to a psycho pack. It is for sure, the "easiest" way to manage a new zero-p canopy. However, do check 1st with someone who can recognize, and would KNOW whether or not your system will appropriately accomodate doing it.

Having too short of an attachment length (so that the canopy is not going in the bag symmetrically in relation to its attachment point) I have heard ...no personal experience here ...so I am open to rebuttal as well BTW... ...Can cause you problem with inconsistent openings.

Bottom line is I guess, ...do check with someone as well 1st, first hand, who can help you. No matter what you decide.

-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

http://www.packingparachutes.com/techniques_tips/greed.htm

This technique was taught at my DZ and I started using it on a 'new' canopy 5 years ago. I still use this method and it works exceptionally well.

One concern is the slider position. When I had my old Sabre, my sloppy use of this method pushed the slider around within the canopy and resulted in a few hard openings. These were strictly my fault and I learned to take more care with the slider position.

Before I start the second s-fold, I always check the slider position to ensure that it stays within the canopy fabric.

Also note: Keep the fabric under control! Take it slow and make the first fold as neat as possible and then get it in the bag. Get one or both knees on the bag and keep the air out of the first fold as you prepare for the second.

During the cold winter months, those of us in the frozen tundra of midwest America should get out the fabric every few weeks and caress its lovely folds. Practice, practice, practice.

Humm,this is a toughie.Everything is the same up till you get the parachute in the bag.If,the air channel is cleanly "Exposed" as last line stow exits,you have a pretty good chance of a slammer.Some Parachutes that if you "Twist","Roll" the nose 2-3 times will snivel.But,you really need permission from an Instructor(other experienced)person before trying this.Too Long a snivel(also possible line twists)might not be your cup of tea just yet.Ask around.rob