craigwalsh

Travel Insurance That Includes Skydiving

Im going to Oz this summer to get my A license and then do some traveling and jumps along the way.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on travel insurance, companies to look at or recommend that will cover me for my travels and my skydiving.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Craig

try Axa, they cover skydiving as part of their high risk sports activities.

I think someone was compiling a list of insurance providers and that it was to go onto the BPA website. Not sure if it's there yet or not, but you may want to check.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

You could get a natwest gold account. They give free travel insurance and the kicker is it does cover skydiving so long as it's done with as part of a nationally recognised instructor program and you pay for it on your card. Holiday's also covered so long as you pay on your card.

It looks like you'll be doing AFF? In which case that'd probably be covered (check for yourself) as it's instruction.

My problem would be trying to convince someone that fun jumps are part of an instructional program.

This is just one option - there are also a number of insurance co's out there offering insurance that would cover you.

Look at somewhere arround £30 for a single trip or £100 for annual multi-trip.

I recommend getting a policy from

http://www.axatravel.co.uk/

You must get the Hazardous Sports option.

I was covered under this policy last year when I had an accident jumping in Spain. I broke my tib, fib, foot, knee and pride etc.

I needed some surgery, their people (outsourced to an emergency medical response company called CEGA) tried to talk to the hospital in Spain but were not happy with the level of care I was getting.

They flew someone out from the UK and rescued me, bought the last 4 rows on an Iberia flight and had a stretcher put at the back, arranged ambulances, the hospital in the UK - the lot. It was frankly, incredible. I reckon they spent £10k getting me home and didn't so much as quibble for a second about it.

Regards

James

Yeah I'm liking the AXA cover I've got. I've also got some exp handling claims against AXA policies from third parties - I know they've got good legal back up and deal with their own equitably.

Strangly I think they exclude camel rides... or am I remembering cover I used to have with columbus? (columbus no longer offer skydiving cover IIRC).

Hi Craig.

Try STA Travel. Our Premier insurance covers skydiving as long as it is not the primary reason for travel. If you intend jumping every day of your trip it will not cover you however if you are jumping less than 50% of the time you are away you should be OK. Our insurance costs less than that from Endsleigh. We have branches in Edinburgh and Glasgow and may even be able to sort out some good flights for you as well as overland travel options. There are other travel agents out there who can help but given that I manage a branch of STA Travel I'm totally biased and would say that you'll get the best advice and a pretty good deal from us.

I have found Harrison Beaumont http://www.hbinsurance.co.uk/ very reasnable.

You dont have to go for an extream sports package (this meens that you cant do lots of other "extream" sports).
For a 1 year Multi-Trip Worldwide cover, with Skydiving as an activity, I payed £113.

I have made a claim with them before, for a non skydiving insident (alost watch) and they paid up with no problems.

As stated in this month Mag, watch out for companies that only allow for 10 jumps, or trips that are have not got "The main purpous of trip" clause

Also make sure the it does have "repatriation cover"
Withoout this, you could end up in serious debt.

Harrison Beaumont also do equipment insurance, which is worth thinking about.

--------------------------------------------------
You only have one life, make the most of it.

make sure that the "skydiving" mentioned in the policy is not tandem only.

there was a policy i've checked which included skydiving and other extreme sports, but the fine print said it was only "instructor assisted skydiving".

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

oh yeah - that reminds me.

I found what appeared to be a great company called DogTag who offered insurance to extreme sports and had a neat system for ensuring whatever local medical care you had, had your medical records available.

Unfortuantely, although they were specifically geared towards extreme sports they only covered "parachuting" not "skydiving". Their definition of parachuting was a static line jump - anything involving freefall was excluded.

Do read the small print.