Punky_Monkey

The nerves will go away again right?

I started jumping in July...Had a terrible time with door fear. Even had to have the plane do a once around on one jump. With support of my instructor I got out the door. Started doing at least 2 jumps a weekend. Jump 13 Door fear went away and the nerves calmed way down. I was actually starting to relax in freefall.

Winter came and I have only been able to do enough jumps to stay current. About 1 or 2 every 4 weeks. The last time I jumped the 1st jump went good and the second I did a 2 way launch and we flipped but got stable. I freaked. My coach said he had never seen my eyes so big and that they were full of tears. I don't know what the hell happened to me on that jump to cause that reaction.

Weather should be good this weekend. I am jumping and doing my 1st diving exit. I know I might flip and would rather flip by myself than with someone. I feel more in control that way. I can get out of the flip the way I want to without worring about what my coach is doing while we are flipping.

Also have some tunnel time booked in April and I am hoping this helps to build some confidence in me. It seems I am lacking it at times. I didn't have this problem before winter? I just don't get it?

But let me tell you my nerves are at an all time high. They have been all winter. It will go away again right? And quicker than when I began jumping?

I will not let this beat me!!:)
Just needed to share this and looking for some words of encouragement. Thanks.
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

I find that long breaks (for me a few weeks) between jumps makes me a lot more nervous before my next jump. Jumping more regularly may help you with your fear.

Any instructors should probably answer the rest of your questions.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

The hardest jump (after the first) I've ever made was jump 11, after not jumping for four weeks. On the drive to the DZ, I almost talked myself out of jumping anymore -- I'd already proved to myself that I could do it, repeatedly. I am so glad I didn't give in to fear. I've been able to do some things I'd never dreamed of, the joy and rewards of the journey have been incredible, and it's only just begun.

I had door fear on one level or another through my first 100 or so jumps. I'm still afraid of heights, and do not like pulling above 5k -- looking down between my feet and realizing the distance involved is frightful. Sure, it's irrational, but tell that to my endocrine system. I still get a bit nervous on the first jump after not jumping for several weeks, not as much as I used to, but that little bit is still there.

Fear is a healthy part of the sport. Acknowledge it, understand it, dominate it, but ignore it at your peril.

I went through exactly the same thing that you are going through. I recall three rides down with the plane in my earlier days. A lot of people told me that strong fear would really diminish around 50 jumps and they were right. I still get butterflies when I haven't jumped in a while but it goes as soon as the plane starts to taxi.

And finally, an AFF instructor I know who has a D license and more than 2,000 jumps gets really really nervous in the spring when she makes her first jump after a long winter break in the northeast. She's an amazing instructor, competitor and all around skydiver. You're definitely not alone.

If you can stick it out, it's worth it. The tunnel will also be very helpful too. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lisa

The nerves are part of the great thing about the sport.
I started to get a few nerves towards the end of AFF. My first jump out of the skyvan each day was always the most nerve racking.
Something about looking out the big open door, makes it more thrilling than the twotter.
Also getting your own gear and packing your own chute helps, IMHO. (Though the first jump on my own pack job was also a good thrill)

I will not let this beat me!!

You just answered your own question. Know your fear.

Tunnel time will help build your confidence.
Jump as much as your time and budget will allow. Re-arrange a few things if you have to. This will help loads, too.

I was nervous this last weekend, my first jump back after a botched up landing injuring my ankle. It's natural. You know why your nervous. Relax. You'll have great time.

Easy Does It

Embrace your fear, make it part of the excitement of jumping.
I'm brand new and obvioulsy still very anxious and nervous which makes the moment I step off the door (the point of no return) so exhilarating. God, I love skydiving:)
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

It seems from your post that you have a fear of flipping. You mentioned it twice, like it is a big deal.

If you are not 100% confident that you can get back over, I say, work with your instructors. If you know you can get over but need practice, spend a solo dive just doing flips... It is a lot of fun.

One of my most fun skydives was dedicated to flipping all over, every way I could find to flip, starting with a flip out of the door of the plane.

For levity, and so you can laugh at me, I have attached a photo of me flipping at the WRONG time. Yes, that is me in a head down with a 4way team. :P

Anyway - go have some fun.

thanks for the picture...it made me smile...:)
I do have a problem with flipping, I don't like the out of control feeling that comes with them. I am always afraid that I will stop them on my back and be stuck there? I know arch, 1/2 barell roll, etc.

Before I even knew how to do flips on purpose I had did a coulple and got myself out of them. It freaked me out, but my coach told me there was no problem. I got out of it and got stable and pulled at the correct alt. I was on hop-n-pops at the time.

Come to think of it I am starting to wonder if this is why I don't like low alt jumps now.

I am going to take your advice and start doing some jumps where I am just flipping. The more I flip and get myself out of it the more comfrotable I think will feel when it takes me by suprise.
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

During my static line course, I had one jump where I was supposed to do my first controlled turns. I dipped my shoulder too far, ended up helicoptering really fast. I tried to recover, and ended up on my back. Looking at my altimeter, I saw that it was pull time, so I pulled, on my back. It worked, but i was FREAKED! I had to go right back up, since I failed the jump, and I thought I was going to throw-up on the way up to altitude, I was so nervous! The fear always disappears after I'm out the door. I believe if a jumper ever completely loses the fear, he/she is dead. Get back up there!

I just had a 2 month layoff between my last SOS gear jum and my own orientation jump and i was scared shitless, but once i was in the air it was all fun again and the safety procedures became 2nd nature just 'cos im having so much fun :)
Get out there! B|

Thanks to all of you. I'm still quite a way back. Many more jumps to go. I'm afraid of this/that/the other thing. Since I haven't jumped since January 1st...WAY out of currency :$. I'm up in the air tomorrow. Hopefully 2 or 3 jumps. I've got the cash now. Didn't have the right days off, bad weather, etc. You all know how the sport is. Tomorrow I have the day off. A fist full of cash, and predicted Blue Skies!B| So, My biggest fear was that I've been out of the Air way too long. Everyone says currency makes it easier for us rookies. The posts I've read here just make me want to jump even more. Thank you all for your encouraging words!!!:)

Thanks for the pictures...

They really help...:)
Seeing these pictures helps me to realize that people do flip from time to time and that this early on I have already learned tools to get myself out of them.

I actually can't wait to jump this weekend....I already told my coach I am doing one jump where I totally mess up the exit and then I am just going to keep fliping...

I guess I have to realize we all flip from time to time and it's wait you make of it.

I'll let you know how it goes...
Punky Monkey

I taught myself front flips on Wed. The first one I tried, I ended up perfectly stable...on my back. I was over 9k, so I didn't really give a damn, just barrel rolled over to my belly. But being all stable on my back was cool in itself.

Maybe you should practice/learn backflying...you'd be more comfortable in case of a flip that put you in the wrong attitude. And spend some time in that tunnel BEFORE you jump again...that tunnel is an awesome training tool. Maybe do a five minute session before your next load.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Hey,

Fear is normal. I felt it tremendously before each jump for my first 50 jumps or so. Lessening with each jump. When I retrained this past July and started making between 10 and 15 jumps a month since then, I have found the fear to be much, much lower. But like someone else said, that fear is part of the experience. Accept it, breath into it, and let it go. Keep jumping. The more you jump, the less you'll fear and the more possibilities in this sport will open up to your imagination.
-B
"What kind of man would live a life without daring? Is life so sweet that we should criticize men that seek adventure? Is there a better way to die?"
- Charles Lindberg August 26th, 1938

You will always get the nerves now and then, no matter how long or how many times you jump. It just happens. I was stuck in a horrible shitty job a few months back and I got so stressed I couldn't even get out to the dropzone, period. When I finally did, I realized that the life/death drama of jumping out of an airplane wasn't anywhere near as stressful as the fucking job I was stuck in, so about two weeks later I bailed on the job and got a much better one. But there's always some part of you that's trying to say, "Are you nuts ? This could kill you!" It's hard to rationalize with that kind of a feeling, since it's not really arational feeling and can't be reasoned with. The thing you just gotta do is to accept that it happens to ALL of us now and then. Anyone who says it doesn't happen to them is either lying or needs their head examined. Once you get onto jump run, just concentrate on the job at hand, your final equipment check, check a buddy's gear, check the spot, look for any stray aircraft below, and go. Once you're out there the fear has usually dissolved and you're diggin' it and dealing with whatever it is you need to be doing.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Robin, flip1.jpg is begging for explanation! A satellite, on the flat, how did the jumper get in this position?!?

I laugh at it only because I've so many, um, less-than-pristine moments of my own.

Hey Dave! I finally found it!

I couldn't for the life of me remember how the heck that happened. It got me curious... So I've been scrubbing through video from that era to see if I could find it.

Clicky

Oh and btw... this was a long, long time ago... We're all amazingly badass skydivers now. You know... except when we're not. :D:D:D

Thanks for the pictures...

They really help... I have seen so many skydiving videos and never see any uncontrolled flips

Punky, you just havnt stumbled on the video guys secret vault yet.....As Robin has shown us, the pics exsist, of all of us...:$

They really help...Smile I have seen so many skydiving videos and never see any uncontrolled flips...I think this could be why when I botch an exit and flip I get nervous...

That's the perfectly normal tendency of people to want to look cool :P. I'd suggest spending one whole jump repeatedly getting unstable then recovering. It's really not that hard (if it was, I couldn't do it :$). Once it's clicked you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

Go be safe and have fun!

Promised an update...
Well, here in WI we had a snow storm on Saturday and then Sunday clouds were to low to jump...

We have a pilot this Friday so hopefully the weather will be good and I can jump. They are talking snow again but it's early yet. It still leaves me Saturday...

My next two jumps I am planning on doing flips and just getting unstable and recovering... I know I can do it, have done it before...Suppose to be working on tracking so I guess that means I'll just have to jump some more... Hee Hee...

It's just jumping in winter isn't that great here and hence the nerves from lack of jumping...But I do give myself credit for at least being able to stay current.

Did pull out my own videos and watched...That seemed to help some I saw how I progressed and how I went from that look of " no way am I getting out of this plane" to "Are we there yet I wanna jump"

Think I might also hit up our video guy for some clips..

If I was there once before I can achieve it again!!! I need to learn not to be afraid of the fear...It's natural and will help at least I think to help keep me safe.

And a couple have mentioned tunnel time and that is booked (1/2 hour of tunnel time) for early April right before our actual season begins..

Will update again after the weekend...

And thanks again everyone for the support it really does help tons...
Punky Monkey

Hey Punky,

It sounds like you are doing great! :) I got injured in September and by the time I was better my dz was closed for the winter. They just reopened this weekend but the weather was wet and cold.

Anyway, I TOTALLY know what you are feeling. I am VERY nervous about coming back. I have always been nervous on every jump, but I think this long layoff is going to make it worse. Also because I got injured on my last jump, that makes me more scared about my landing. Recently I have started having those "what the fuck am I doing" thoughts. And then I make it worse by thinking about all the gear I bought this winter and how it'd be a total waste if I ended up qutting. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO!!!! THE FEAR WON'T GET ME!! Once I'm out the door, its so totally worth it!! B| But I do hope the nerves subside eventually. It would suck if I'm still like this 5 years from now. :S

Fortunately I haven't had any scary moments in the air yet. I actually love being in the door, thats the moment I get psyched! :)
Anyway, good luck! We can do it, no stopping now!! :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site