Kimblair13

Nike and Skydiving?

See the thread on sales tax on jumps. You really want skydiving to be mainstream?

Oh hell no, keep any taxes away. Anyway, I like skydiving the way it is, if everyone did it, it wouldn't be as fun. No whuffos, nobody would think your crazy.

>Anyway, I like skydiving the way it is . . .

Me too. I get a little worried when people talk about it becoming an olympic sport, or getting everyone and their uncle to skydive. I don't think you can do that without changing the sport.

>Anyway, I like skydiving the way it is . . .

Me too. I get a little worried when people talk about it becoming an olympic sport, or getting everyone and their uncle to skydive. I don't think you can do that without changing the sport.

Triathlon being the closest example. Nothing good came out of it - races fill up earlier, cost more, and often the elites no longer race with the common folk.

just wondering why people think Nike hasn't come into the skydiving scene. They seem to have a market for every other sport. Any ideas?

The USPA has about 30,000-35,000 Members some of those do not even jump.

There is no market.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I am not worried about that at all. Fear will keep skydiving from ever being that popular. Too many people view skydiving as a suicidal sport. Changing that is very unlikely. The fear of falling is the most basic human fear.

Eh... what would they really make? Skydiving shoes? Goggles? Whenever they move into a new sport, they do so by buying another company already established in that sport, because the market for that sport is already closed in most cases. When Nike first got into hockey, their products were MISERABLE, then they said "Hey, let's just buy someone that knows what they're doing", and they changed the logo on the products.

One thing I've found as a result of this is that quality goes down, because Nike is, like most companies, more about profit than product. I don't want low-quality products anywhere on my body when I'm skydiving.
cavete terrae.

"It's not falling, it's flying with STYLE"

Sorry the quote is "Thats not flying! It's falling with style"

And its from Woody after Buzz did the "Flying" around the room ending on the bed.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I know, it just sounded better that way.

dam,,, did you have to call me out like that in front of everyone? lol I was hoping no one would notice.

I have a six and a three year old and have seen the movie about 2000 times.

No "instant consumer base". You can go to a skateboarding competition, or BMX, or snowboarding, or mountain biking, etc. and walk away with pretty much the same gear the pros use and take it home and play with it. No so for skydiving or BASE. There just isn't much $$ in it for Nike, or whomever, so they don't bother!

Easy Does It

know, it just sounded better that way.

dam,,, did you have to call me out like that in front of everyone? lol I was hoping no one would notice.

Sorry...If ya want I'll delete the post:$

I have a six and a three year old and have seen the movie about 2000 times.

Make them watch "Pack like a Pro" and put them to work. ;)