funks

What kind of canopy pilot are you?

I find it unbelievable how many people pound in under good canopies, pretty fucking sad and stupid at the same time if you ask me>:(

I guess I am so amazed because I am a very very conservative canopy pilot. I just dont believe in fucking around with something like that, yes, i know accidents can happen but in these cases i believe they are 100% preventable. Just dont hook it in low, NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES ARE!

Curious to know how everyone flies their canopies. What kind of canopy pilot are you?

this is geared more towards the average fun jumper, not you crazy ass pro swoopers;)

I am still very happy with a nice soft landing. Not complicated or impressive, just a gentle end to the dive is enough for me.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hell, i don't even like high performance turns at 5 grand...but that may change as i get more experienced:o......i doubt it though. i have no plans to learn swooping at the moment. even being on the ground watching it freaks me out a bit.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I consider myself an extremely aggressive pilot. That said, I am never ever afraid, or shy, to bail from a turn that isn't good - I just prefer to be going as fast over the ground as possible. If there's something risky(er) I want to try I spend time practicing at altitude for 100's of jumps and then simulate the landing as much as possible in a safe environment before doing the 'stunt'.

HP canopy flight can not be done safely, only safer IMO.

Blues,
Ian
ps: I just read the italics at the bottom and while I'm not a 'pro swooper' I figured I'd post anyway :P
Performance Designs Factory Team

I am not a pro swooper, and consider myself to be just an average type jumper, but I love high performance canopy flight. I actually get more enjoyment out of canopy flight than freefall. I would rather swoop from 3,000ft than freefall from 16,000ft. I guess I consider myself to be pretty aggresive, but on the less aggressive side of high performance canopy pilots. If that makes any sense.

Also, I once swore up and down that I would NEVER get into swooping.

I'm conservatively pushing it... I've been front risering my approaches since jump nuber two. I'm currently working on my front riser carve from base to final- the feel of those are pretty good and I'll be moving on to 180s soon. The sight picture isn't bad for swooping... or carving, as the case may be- so long as you know where to draw the line as to when you need to abandon a botched approach.

I don't mean to alarm anybody by saying this... my jump numbers are accurate- but I feel comfortable (not complacent) with what I do in the air. Like the saying goes... you'll be fine so long as you don't do anything stupid.

you'll be fine so long as you don't do anything stupid.

Problem is different people have different ideas of what is stupid. No offense but "i'll be moving on to 180s soon" better be a joke. It made me laugh anyway. There's nothing conservative about anything you just said.

I think I'm pretty conservative. I don't swoop, don't touch my front risers below 500 feet, and never had a desire to. I probably will swoop some day, but I don't see the point right now.

Dave

Oldr fart joke:

"Who says skydivers are stupid:S We invented a whole new way to kill ourselves:o.

What will they think of next:| Landing a wingsuit[:/]

"Who says skydivers are stupid:S We invented a whole new way to kill ourselves:o.

R.I.P.

I am not a pro swooper, and consider myself to be just an average type jumper, but I love high performance canopy flight. I actually get more enjoyment out of canopy flight than freefall. I would rather swoop from 3,000ft than freefall from 16,000ft. I guess I consider myself to be pretty aggresive, but on the less aggressive side of high performance canopy pilots. If that makes any sense.

Also, I once swore up and down that I would NEVER get into swooping.

Wow ... can I use that to describe myself? I couldn't have said it better to describe how I currently feel about the sport. I would like to add that I do actively jump different canopies other than my cross-braced swoop machine. I like all aspects of canopy flight.

There's a cool BASE jump in Moab which is 400 feet to impact but a 1000 foot canopy ride to the landing area. It's a choice location and a super fun canopy ride. Just don't mess up because the site is remote. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

so long as you know where to draw the line as to when you need to abandon a botched approach.

Perhaps you should have a chat with some of the people in the incidents forum and ask them if they too "thought" they knew when to abandon a botched approach...a "botched" approach is laymens terms for pounding inB|

You're a pilot. That's cool. You know about flight and how a wing flies (so we can skip that speech). You also know about weather, density altitude and how it effects a wing. I too was a pilot before I started skydiving and I believe it gave me an edge over the non-pilot. I started doing double fronts on a Triathlon 220 somewhere in the 75 jump range (mainly as a bizarro way to compensate for not over shooting my targets) and progressed from there. But the stuff you're talking about at your jump experience is ... well ... voodoo ... just don't fuck up. Also seek qualified canopy control training ASAP if you're not doing that already. Otherwise we're going to have to put you on the bounce list for this summer.

I'll take the first week of July. Anyone else want in?

Depending on weather, put me in for $20 for last weekend in June, with a weather makeup the 2nd weekend in July.

I'm feeling a Saturday, maybe the 1st or second jump of the day.

Are we going to have a separate pool for fatal vs just compound fractures?
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

With 30 jumps in 2 years ( a little over 1 jump a month), this may take a while. Last week of August.

Oooh...good point. I'll stick with my original estimate though.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I'll take the first week of July. Anyone else want in?

Depending on weather, put me in for $20 for last weekend in June, with a weather makeup the 2nd weekend in July.

I'm feeling a Saturday, maybe the 1st or second jump of the day.

Are we going to have a separate pool for fatal vs just compound fractures?

oooh oooh i want in... but you only get ONE weekend... weather is part of the equation no outs for bad weather you didnt consider... so my $20 on the first week in Aug...

of course there is always the chance this is a dz.com specific species of troll

Man if my instructor seen me doing that with your jump numbers he would kick my liuly white ass and ground me.

The DZO should ground him.

I would like to add a disclaimer to what I said earlier about me start double fronts at 75ish jumps. First off I was on a large docile 7 cell. Secondly I wasn't trying to generate speed for a swoop. I used the double fronts between 200 and likely 50ish feet AGL in as I said the bizarro way to not over shoot my targets (I guess I could have used a little canopy coaching back then as there are other ways to not over shoot targets). It was just that over time I got used to this technique, got used to some speed and it set me on the unplanned road towards swooping.

LearnTOfly is on the bounce list if he continues this foolishness of trying to be a swooper with 35 jumps.

Let's see -

I like swooping, but I've approached the discipline gradually. It's taken me 4300 jumps to get up to 90-135 degree front riser turns, and I've almost gotten them dialed in. I need a little more work on rear riser flares before I'm ready for anything more than that; I figure it's silly to add speed on the start of the planeout when I can get more distance some other way.