Don.Key

Are there skydivers without injuries?

5 years and 700 jumps, never a broken bone. No sprains, strains, or tears requiring treatment.

Skydiving is the most dangerous activity I've ever taken part of. Anyone who tells us otherwise are is lieing, often trying to convince himself of that same fact. Most importantly he is doing us no favor.

Skydiving MIGHT be as dangerous as driving, if you're driving while main-lining on cocaine, heroin, and booze all at the same time, while speeding on a dirt road.

A proactive, informed, and educated jumper can usually keep himself unbroken by being aware. LEARN.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

240 ish jumps and no injuries.

I do know many with thousands and no serious injuries.

NOT safer than driving a car. Someone once posted on the forums that they considered skydiving to be a "Low risk, high hazzard" sport. His meaning: That the actual chances of something going wrong are slim, but when they do, things tend to go south real quickly. I always thought that was a good way to look at it.

Pay it the respect it deserves, never push your limits too hard and never stop learning.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

If you have unusually brittle bones, or loose connective tissue (which you might if you end up injured from non-contact sports), then you should be aware of it.

You can still skydive reasonaly safely, taking that into account. Really.

BTW, the most serious injury I've had was probably a mildly strained neck from a hard opening.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I scraped my ankle yesterday (2005) pretty badly exiting the plane in a funky 4-way tube exit. I told the guy to sit further out of the door. It'll probably be fine by tomorrow.

On the other hand my diaphragm still separates from my rib cage when you press on it on the left hand side because of a mountain biking accident in about 2000.

My jaw still clicks when I move it thanks to a rather less than gregarious gentleman outside a working men's club one night back in 1997.

I can dislocate my right ring finger at will thanks to a rather misguided, although successful, attempt to break someone else’s nose in about 1994.

I have a permanent 2in cruciform scar on my arse from an Alsatian dog that bit me in about 88.

And I have a permanent scar on my forehead from when I jumped off a radiator in Poland in about 1982 after my mother told me my shoulder blades were where my wings were supposed to attach.

Still... I'm only at the beginning of my jumping career. You be the judge.

From my take, skydiving has less injuries than motocross, skateboarding, BMX etc. You can't find anyone who has ridden a dirt bike hard that hasn't broken bones (at least not that I know) From the looks of this board, lots of people have escaped skydiving unscathed.

I cracked my cocyx on jump 27. Something tells me I will hurt myself again...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Student to student observation, be noted.

Remember boards often amplify problem areas.

Just like a COMPUTER TECH SUPPORT forum often attract problem areas, like complaints, help requests, warranty claims, etc.... Happy users don't post compliments as often as the complainers.

In a similiar vein, you rarely see people shout "I'VE NEVER BEEN INJURED!" around here even though there are more of those people than you think. Injuries do happen, but it doesn't mean everyone is guaranteed to get injured. There actually exists 1000+ jumpers who have never been in the hospital as a result of the sport. Sometimes it's just a cracked finger nail. JUST BE SAFE, PROGRESS SLOW. If you chose, you can even stick to huge docile student canopies for hundreds of jumps if you wish, and that's a good way to avoid the hospital too. Avoid excessively windy days, especially for the large canopies.

Again, this is student to student observation. Even ignore student advice, myself included, and listen to your instructors.

My acquaintance Gus Wing, too many jumps to mention...did everything right. RIP! (www.guswing.com)

Our friend Michelle Thibideau did everything right. RIP! (search the archives).

Is it worth it? With Gus' passing (and having seen countless skydivers far better than myself get maimed or injured), I don't know any longer.

P.S.: Just randomly chose marks as an entry point; no pun intended.

close to 2500 jumps and no injuries... hopefully i never have any..

Sports aren't dangerous. People are... The only reason I consider skydiving to be safer than driving a car is because the people you are skydiving with (for the most part) have been trained well and are safety minded. The idiots you are sharing the freeway with are not well trained and by no means safety minded. Like everyone else said, it's as safe as you make it but by no means is it considered a safe sport. Once you leave the plane you have basically commited suicide untill you do something to change the outcome.

I recommend that you leave your family out of it untill you have a D license. By then you are considered an expert skydiver and won't care what they think anyways...;)
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

I have actually found through the years, like I stated in one other post, that the injuries most skydivers get if they do get any occur when they are bored or not jumping!!

Ask around and you might find this to be the case where you are also. BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Are there skydivers with many jumps and no moderate/serious injuries whatsoever?
Don

I guess you can't call 175 jumps "many," but so far I have had no serious injuries beyond an occasional muscle pull or sore foot (I jump barefoot and while most landings are fine, I've skidded through the peas and gotten the tiniest bit foot-sore).

With a little luck and a lot of being careful, I hope to go indefinitely.
:)
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

It is NOT safer than driving a car... yes you can get injured or die on ANY skydive.

With that said I know plenty of skydivers that have never been seriously injured in thousands of jumps.

I have never been injured either.

How is that different from driving a car?

Is anyone somehow protected against having a person in the oncoming lane veer across the lines and smack 'em head-on? Certainly not. Every time you get into your car, you are every bit as vulnerable to injury or death as you are when you get into an airplane to skydive.

The BIG difference that I see is that it is much more likely that if you get killed in skydiving, barring aircraft malfunction, it will have been almost entirely your fault. Not so with driving a car.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

A bit of useless info - more people get killed by donkeys every year than by skydiving.

And by vending machines too... Vending machines kill more people every year than sharks!

I'll bet it's more accurate to say, "Vending machines don't kill people; people trying to rip-off vending machines get themselves killed by vending machines succumbing to gravity and the extension of their centers of gravity over the edges of their bases." :P

I am pretty sure that a vending machine, just sitting there unmolested, hasn't the power to kill anyone.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

In almost 8000 jumps I have dislocated my left shoulder caused by another skydiver fuckin' off, and also bruised my tail bone from a canopy stall.

Other then that, I have had more then a few student try to kill me. ;):D

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

A bit of useless info - more people get killed by donkeys every year than by skydiving.

And by vending machines too... Vending machines kill more people every year than sharks!

I'll bet it's more accurate to say, "Vending machines don't kill people; people trying to rip-off vending machines get themselves killed by vending machines succumbing to gravity and the extension of their centers of gravity over the edges of their bases." :P

I am pretty sure that a vending machine, just sitting there unmolested, hasn't the power to kill anyone.

-Jeffrey

Ya - it is not that people are always ripping it off, it is them shaking the machine to release the pop they paid for... Since all the pop is at the top of the machine, all it takes is 20 degrees of tilt to cause it to come crashing down. It was actually published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. The solution, other than finding smarter humans, would be to weight the bottom of the machine to put the CG below half way up...

But, back to the regularly scheduled topic of discussion, enough with vending machines.;)

So far so good, 2400 jumps in the last 20 years and hardly a scratch. I did get the top of my little toe peeled back on exit jumping bare foot when someone was standing on my toe. I have hurt myself drinking in the parking lot late at night. Now my wife on the other hand broke a leg and her tailbone within 400 jumps.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

This is the jinx me thread and I've been reluctant to contribute due to my belief that superstition is sometimes as powerful as science....lol

BUT...I have been slightly injured twice. So maybe it's not a jinx. I scraped my knees badly once on a slide-in landing with shorts on. I sprained my ankle at my first WFFC in '95.

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Ok,Here is the straight poop.30 yrs no hospital visits(knock on wood)Bruised butts(Acc.)Sprained foot(out 2 weeks)Bruised Kidney(last hook turn,out 2 weeks)Can pop my knees and ankles at will.Ride a bike to help the muscles around my skinny ass knees.