Hooknswoop

DZ Ethics

What would think of a DZ that would allow someone to jump an out of date reserve if they agreed to leave it at the DZ to be re-packed at the end of the day, but would not let them jump if they didn't? The reserve was not packed by the DZ's rigger(s) previously.

Derek

I would think they are doing something against the FARs to allow jumping an out of date reserve. I would think they run the risk of having the FAA shut them down if they ever found out during an accident investigation.

That said, there is a huge difference between legal and safe.

Not everything that is legal is safe and not everything that is safe is legal.

I think "ethics" is a realm beyond what is technically legal or illegal. I think "ethics" is in the mind of the beholder.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Oxymoron - n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra (-môr, -mr)

A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence, a mournful optimist, an out-of-date reserve that is legal if left after jumping, but not if not.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Is it the dz's way of allowing the jumper to jump but then making sure this person gets a repack? or is it their way to make sure they get the repack business?

Either way, they are jeopardizing getting the pilot in trouble but maybe they are really trying to be compromising yet get the job done. Do you know their motivation for sure?
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

If the DZO _and_ the pilot agree to it, then there is no issue in my mind. They are the ones who accept the risk, and are the ones who will get screwed if anything happens. The jumper can choose to jump the reserve or not. It's no more unethical than a DZO that requires a cypres (which they also sell) or one that won't let someone not trained there jump there.

If the DZO _and_ the pilot agree to it, then there is no issue in my mind.

They were pressuring him by dangling the 'carrot’ of being able to jump that day, because a rigger that isn’t from that DZ packed the reserve. They were trying to get the jumper to change to a DZ rigger. This was in manifest, no pilot involvement.

Derek

just curious - WHY does the pilot get the major penalty in this situation? example: our KingAir gets around to several boogies and the pilot likely doesnt know the jumpers...shouldnt that burden fall on the DZO or S&TA, or perhaps the manifest person or the senior rigger for that particular DZ?
of course i DO understand this is the government we are talking about :|

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

just curious - WHY does the pilot get the major penalty in this situation?

2 reasons;

1) FAR Part 105: "§105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.
No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:
(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use of a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certification parachute rigger."

2) The FAA can take action against a pilot. They can't take away your "A" license, etc. The FAA places a lot of responsibility on pilots, sometimes for things they have no control over.

Since it isn't feasible for the pilot to check reserve data cards, they must trust the DZ to make sure reserves are in date.

Doesn't seem like too much to ask. You have to be able to trust the pilot, they should be able to trust the DZ.

Derek

If the DZO _and_ the pilot agree to it, then there is no issue in my mind.

They were pressuring him by dangling the 'carrot’ of being able to jump that day, because a rigger that isn’t from that DZ packed the reserve. They were trying to get the jumper to change to a DZ rigger. This was in manifest, no pilot involvement.

Derek

If the pilot wasn't involved, and this was being used to generate riggin business, then I say that it's shit. And illegal.

OTOH, if the pilot was involved, and the offer of a repack was there to make sure the rig was repacked (ie keep the jumper safe), then it' probably OK. But still illegal.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

If they just wanted the jumper to get it re-packed, why offer to let him jump it for the day but only if the DZ rigger re-packed it after jumping? Why not just tell him to get it re-packed, by any rigger, and he can jump? Why the stipulation that it had to be re-packed by the DZ rigger?

Derek

hay i found it. it is FAR105.43 states disciplinary action can be taken against the pilot and by A DZ allowing a jumper to jump a out of date rig, they are putting their pilots license at jeopardy.

The FAA can actually bring an enforcement action against the jumper, pilot, manifester, drop zone, or anybody else involved in the jump or skydiving operation. See article 13 "FAA Regulations Applied" on The Ranch web site at: http://www.ranchskydive.com/safety/index.htm
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Did they at least tell the pilot after the fact? Kind of screwed up to knowingly put the pilot at risk without telling him the straight scoop.

The jumper said "no" and left. I got a PM from another jumper at the same DZ saying they have delt witht he same issue because they don't use the DZ rigger either.

Derek

xcuse me, doesn't anyone have a pen?

I use a stamp for this very reason. If someone pencil packs (forges my signature) my reserve pack job, I will charge them for that re-pack and refuse to ever pack their reserve again.

Derek

Derek,
I meant changing the date to get thru the weekend. I'm very perticular about who packs my reserve. Chris always does my repacks. I did this while out of town for a competition and went Sunday to have a repack.

I meant changing the date to get thru the weekend.

That would qualify. The rig is good for 120 days after I pack it. If it is jumped after that, fine. But if the card is altered or forged, then I will not pack for that person anymore.

I put a re-pack due sticker, along with maint and batteries due sticker on each reserve data card. The jumper has zero excuse for not knowing that their reserve was due in time to get it re-packed.

Derek