jtval

how long were you jumping before your first reserve ride?

to be honest. I'm scared shitless! I'm waiting for something to happen. Every jump, I still go through procedures. Especially with all the crap on my head!

Wonder if other 'yet-to-experience-a-cutaway' skydivers feel this way as well. Especially those with over 1,000 jumps to their name.
ltdiver

I do not yet qualify for the 1,000 jumps; but I am also a bit scared while waiting to have my first cutaway (900+ jumps so far).
I almost always jump my own pack jobs (I'm quite sure this helps) as I don't make a living by skydiving.

Also, to reply to another question: I think that students are slightly more likely to experience a mal than a 100+ jumps person with their own gear because they do not always pack the same rig and they are less proficient at packing. Plus they may not be extra stable at pull-time (=> sometimes severe line twists)..

I am curious to hear how many of the 500 plus jumpers that have not had a cutaway have done a majority of thier own packing. always wondered about that

I've packed 99%of my jumps, I had round and square packing certificates before I ever jumped,
The 1% is jumping demo rigs and paying a packer when my leg was in plaster.

Gone fishing

>Wonder if other 'yet-to-experience-a-cutaway' skydivers feel this way as well. Especially those with over 1,000 jumps to their name.<

I'll try to answer this so I don't sound like an idiot.

Although I've never had a mal that I've chopped,
The idea of having a mal dose'nt worry me in as much that I spend time worrying that it could happen
I know it can happen at any time.
In my early years skydiving (80's) I rode down some canopies which I know should of been cutaway.
One was a blown up Skylark 220. Another was a snivelling Avenger 220 an a couple of others.
Recently I had a brake fire on opening which put me into a diving spin, as luck would have it I'd opened high
but it took me nearly to my hard deck to release the other toggle.
I shure the day will come when I have to cut away from a mal, But untill that time comes I'm not going to worry about it

Gone fishing

A few months - jump #14. Doing a 10-second delay with a T-10 rig w/unmodified chest-mount 24' reserve. Couldn't find the ripcord, dumped the reserve around 1200'.

First malfunction/cutaway on #142, second on #540.

So far my reserve rides have been on rounds, but the last two were steerable.

Cheers,
Jon S.

1st reserve on jump #48, 6 months in sport,
2nd reserve on jump #789, 3years in sport (still searching for the freebag)

both have been own packjobs where I was in a hurry to catch the next load

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

linetwists with a diving main
The first one would probably not be a problem anymore from my experience now but at that time seemed unsolvable.
On the second I was diving towards earth immediately after opening with 3 feet of line twist where I couldn't even tell which direction the twist was.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Haven't had any reserve rides.. I've had a few really bad diving openings (line twists) on hp canopies that had I not opened very high would have been cut away.

Diablo110 spun up at 10k on opening. Took 4k for me to kick out as I was on my back and spinning very fast. Had that been an opening at 3-4k I would have chopped it fast.

I've only had 2 thus far in 2700+ jumps...

Had my first reserve ride at 20 jumps, back in 94. It was a line-over mal with a moderate turn to the left. Looked up after opening, recognized it for what it was, never looked back at the main, looked at my handles, did my emergency procedures, was under a reserve pleanty high, landed and walked away.

Had my second on jump number 1700-and-some a couple of years back. It was an SBOS mal on a badly out of trim Sabre that I was trying to get "just one more" weekend out of before sending it in for a line kit. Opened into a turn, right side of the canopy collapsed and put me into a spin so fast I was on my back within a rotation. Looked at my handles, got ahold of them, did my emergency procedures, choped the main, shot the reserve as I came back belly to earth, reserve opened nicely... OBTW, I had packed that reserve myself :ph34r:... landed uneventfully, gathered up my sh*t, went back to the hgr, inspected and repacked my reserve and that main was on its way to PD for a line kit that Monday.
:S