TXBLKBEAR

African American SkyDiver! What?

Thanks kallend. Cool pic. What team is that?

That's Moneyshot from Skydive Chicago (who rocked at Nationals, may I add), and James is such a sweetie! I love him to death!

I think I chased his main this summer. We found it in a tree, had to find someone with the skill to get it down though. Some trees are just not meant to be climbed. (Well at least I think it was his, I know it was someone from that team)

Other than him I hav eonly met one or two other skydivers that were african american.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've seen a couple of black skydivers at Perris,CA
Both experienced and Tandems.

If you go to skydivingmovies.com you can download
a clip of Ludacris doing a Tandem for MTV.

I notice that Black people have a bigger reaction when I tell them that I skydive. They think I'm crazy to jump out of planes.

It's the whole "extreme sports" thing that they aren't into, for some reason.

If you notice, there aren't many black Rock Climbers, extreme skiers, or Base Jumpers either.

I'm not Stereotyping, I'm just telling you what black people have told me.

scott

I think I chased his main this summer. We found it in a tree, had to find someone with the skill to get it down though. Some trees are just not meant to be climbed. (Well at least I think it was his, I know it was someone from that team)

Other than him I hav eonly met one or two other skydivers that were african american.

I'm the one that had the cutaway at the NSL meet (and I was on a different team) so . . . there were more than one of "us" there!! :o

What I find refreshing is that at every DZ I've been to all skydivers are color blind. I never even gave it a second thought until someone raised this discussion earlier on dz.com.

Not all places you visit in life are like this. Nice to be part of a community that doesn't discriminate.

ltdiver

That's one of the best things I've read in this entire thread - and oh, so true! ! B|

Hey everyone.

I am new to skydiving and I love it!!! :D

This is the best sport in the world. I think that the people make the sport and everyone i have met at my DZ is cool.

I have a question. I noticed after about my 8th jump or so that their were no Black skydivers at my DZ.

So I'm wondering if there are any Licensed African american's at your drop zones?

Now, I'm a bit puzzled here. I know a lot of African-Americans that skydive, but none of them are negroes.

I also know quite a few blacks who skydive, but none of them are from Africa.

I suppose you are using that newfangled "politically correct" terminology, but I have seen more confusion resulting from the use of NewSpeak than would seem warranted by using terminology that was perfectly okay for the likes of Martin Luther King, Jr..

If you stick with the sport for a while you will note various nationalities that dominate above and beyond what mere demographics would suggest, and others whose absence is unexplainable in terms of weather conditions or income restraints.

One thing I've found is that unless one is a nubile Breasted-American (or singularly operational foreigner, for that matter), one can expect a period of being an outsider before becoming accepted in the sport. Some people take it personally and are never seen again, and others weather being treated as tyros until they have earned acceptance in the community.

If someone takes the attitude that "you guys are just being hard on me because I'm , and would treat me better otherwise," odds are they will go away with the idea that skydivers are a crowd likely to be hostile to them.

If someone says "those guys are all losers, and they're just jealous because I went to College" or some such rot, odds are they'll be history before someone sets them straight.

The people with whom I look forward to jumping come from a wide spectrum of nationalities, religions, occupations, sexual orientation and all that, and it annoys the hell out of me when someone sees fit to make a big deal about it one way or another.

The most racist/sexist/etc, drivel often appears in the guise of egalitarianism, and I find it offensive.

The title of this thread is a prime example.

Blue skies,

Winsor

there are a few of black skydivers at my DZ. Couple of them are students and one is licensed. Real nice guy, just wants to skydive, same as us white people. :D

You know I never thought so much about the race minorities in skydiving. I could really care less about that, but let's figure out a way to get more females involved. :ph34r:

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

One of the nicest and giving skydivers I've ever met was a guy named Sylvester A. St. Cyr from West Covina CA. He was known as 'Saint' by his friends.

He wasn't known by the color of his skin, but by the fact he drove a big white old limosine to the DZ. He was so quite that it was hard to believe he was a motivational speaker in his spare time. But his nickname said it all when it came to his character.

Saint passed on in his sleep 2 years ago and we miss him still. A pure heart and wonderful man.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I suppose you are using that newfangled "politically correct" terminology, but I have seen more confusion resulting from the use of NewSpeak than would seem warranted by using terminology that was perfectly okay for the likes of Martin Luther King, Jr..

Just so you know African American is not a "political " term

Blue Skies Black Death

Yes, please do, Skydive San Marcos is a friendly place. It matters how safe you fly, how your attitude flies, and how you interact with others. Since we all bleed the same color anyway...it's what's in your heart that counts. Be prepared to feel the love...right, Snowflake?
Attitude is everything!

not to be controversial or anything, but i always smile when somebody tells me they are african american. I then ask them where in africa they were born. usually they tell me, they were born in houston, or wherever. I find this like saying that i am german-american, since my great grand parents came from germany. But < I > am not from germany. I was born in the good old US of A. I'm not racist, i have lots of black friends, i dont see why some have to get so touchy feely about being called black, i really dont see anything wrong with it. *shrugs* when i think of black, i dont think of somebody that is inferior to me, or whatever, the color of his skin is just a different color. One of my biggest peeves is when black people, or "african-americans" try to tell me they are oppressed and held down by the white man, or whatever else they babble. I for one notice that its MUCH MUCH easier for a minority to get a scholarship, or grant, or whatever for college. i think black people are just as racist maybe if not more racist. they just point out their color of skin and assume that people dont like them because of the color of the skin.. maybe they should realize people dont like the garbage coming out of their mouths. ;) (and by the way, i am profoundly deaf, and have had MANY problems with discrimination and having a hard time finding jobs, friends, keeping good grades in school so i do get to have a say so, in my opinion, since i've been there, and maybe more so then some "african americans". sorry for the long post, its just something that has always been a point of conflict. i wish we would all just see the color of our skin in the same way as we see the color of our eyes, or hair. but that'd be in a perfect world, which as we all know, doesnt exist. (if it did, i'd be dating britney spears and carmen electra, which is a different story altogether B| )

I used the term black because all the people I know here in Oklahoma who are african american wish to be addressed that way. I have never been racist and have nothing against other nationalities. If my post sounds racist I apologize to everyone it offended. It wasn't intended that way.

MAN! >:( IF I KNEW THIS POST WAS GOING TO CAUSE SO MUCH CRAP I WOULD HAVE NEVER ASKED! I WAS JUST CURIOUS, NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS.

AS FOR THE "AFRICAN AMERICAN" THING, TERMS HAVE CHANGED WITH THE TIMES. I'M NOT OLD BUT I'M NOT NEW EITHER I'M 37 YEARS YOUNG AND HAVE BEEN ALL MANY PLACES (ACTIVE MILITARY OVER 10 YEARS). I FIND THAT IT DEPENDS ON WHAT PART OF THE WORLD OR COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN AS TO WHAT PEOPLE BELIEVE IS ACCEPTABLE TO BE CALLED. IT'S ALL A MATTER OF PREFERENCE. ME? READ MY POST CONTENT AND YOU WILL SEE THAT I USED "AFRICAN AMERICAN" AND "BLACK". HELL I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU CALL ME, JUST CALL ME. I BELIEVE THAT EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION (NO MATTER HOW STUPID I THINK IT IS) SO IF SOME OF YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS A NEGATIVE RACE THING THEN HAVE AT IT, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE POST WAS MENT TO BE ABOUT. I WILL NOT WAST MY TIME OR YOURS COMMENTING ON SOME OF THE CRAP A COUPLE OF PEOPLE HAVE WRITTEN. PEACE, LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!!!B|

yeah i know man... sorry bout that, i just got to thinking about the word "african american". *shrugs* hopefully you saw the post right after the long winded one, wanted to make sure you didnt think poorly of me or anything, i really dont have any problems with people of color. B|

after all, BLUE is the only color that really matters, right?

BLUE SKIES!!