RumBum

Start AFF now or wait till spring?

In Texas! I am pumped to start up my AFF but $$ and time are my enemies!
If I start now, I will still be working on the AFF when it gets cold, and I know there is a requirement to stay current while learning. Will I be miserably cold during my AFF jumps instead of being able to enjoy my intro to the new sport?
I want to learn to skydive! But I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of learning by rushing into it at the wrong time. What do you experienced skydivers think?:S

I don't know where in Tx you are, but I am in N. Fla (Tallahassee, in the Panhandle) and we jump all year. So, take that for what its worth.

I got a little cold at times last year, but with gloves and a layer of thermal u/w, never got uncomfortable.

Knowing what I know now, if you aren't in N. Tx, I'd say go ahead, but that's just my $.02

Scott

I would go ahead and get started. Its not that bad in the winter. Just remember layers,layers,layers, good gloves and thick socks.
I did my first jump in winter like temperatures and other than the 'SNOT' factor everything was cool. I would probably recommend a full face helmet (if allowed on AFF) . Get er' done and you will be ready to play when the season gets in full swing.

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

If you have the dollars, do it now.

It's pretty easy (and fun) to stay current, and most really big DZ's mellow out when it turns cold and become very friendly. With that said, Texas isn't such a cold weather place. I jump in New York where we stay open on weekends year-round, and our recent graduates tend to be our best winter customers. When you are new to the sport it is all fun. Heck, when you've been jumping for 25 years, it's still all fun.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

If you have the dollars, do it now.

I'll second that, weather from mid/late Sept. to mid/late Dec. is often the best we get in Texas, and if funds are available, you could knock out some jumps in those months before you even have to really worry about the cold!

If you wait until spring to start, you'll have to deal with the high winds we tend to get that time of year, so the opportunity for AFF training may actually diminish, instead of increase! And then it will be summer, and it'll just be hotter than hell... but it is Texas. :D

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I started in COLORADO in October.... A few weekend days I was jumping when it was well below freezing on the ground... The humidity from the humans in the plane would turn to ice crystals and snow the second you opened the door...

BUT, I had a lot of fun, and did not even think, "this is insane cold" except once. Landing in snow is fun, and they even plowed the peas so you could hit frozen rock if the snow looked too soft and playful for ya...

So, don't worry about the weather... Worry about the money... Save up enough to blaze thru AFF, then you can slow down a bit once you get the core muscle memories built.

Once the fun of skydiving hits, a minute of negative 20 air you will not even notice.:$

That is my two cents.

(P.S. I plan on jumping in the winter again this year.)

I would say it all depends on how quickly you plan on going through the program. I started my AFF labor day weekend last year and I jumped through October. I live in Ohio, and in the winter it gets cold and REALLY windy, so I didn't jump in the winter exept for a trip to Florida. Anywho... I did my AFF in two weekends and my solos that third weekend and after two months of jumping had 40 jumps. It is all about how much time you want to dedicate, and how fast you want to move through. I had the time in Ohio, I would imagine you could make it happen in Texas.
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

In Texas! .... when it gets cold, ... Will I be miserably cold

:S:S

At what part do the words "Texas" and "Cold" even come up in the same conversations?

Or is there a city named Texas in Maine or something?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i would say start now. i started in central texas in january. i could live with the cold - actually, i think the tandem i made the day after thanksgiving was the coldest i ever was - but that's not actually the biggest deal, it's the wind around here in early spring that will keep you grounded. february/march there were several weekends i went out and couldn't jump because of wind. otherwise, you learn to wear gloves, and it's not that big a deal.

ah, the memories of shivering on the creeper in ground school...:)
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

I cant comment on the weather in Texas as Im in the UK, but as far as leaving it till later is concerned, Id say do it now.

Ive spent years and years putting it off as something I really wanted to do but didnt have the money/time/insert excuse here.

If you put it off till the spring, there will be another reason to put it off when spring comes.
In my case it was something outside of my control when my wife became ill and I had to look after her for a long time.
You miht put it off now and like me something will take your life in another direction and all your plans go to ratshit.

My situation has changed now and Ive finally taken the bull by the horns and am going to Spain to do my AfF in two weeks time. And Im always going to be kicking myself for ever that I didnt do it years ago when I had the time and the money(ok, a credit card :)).

Dont put off till tomorow what you can do today.
Something might happen tonight that will take tomorow away from you.

Thats my 2pence worth anyway :)

Not sure how cold it really gets there in TX but here in WA we jump with snow on the ground. Just wear some longjohns and gloves if it gets that cold. Here it usually is around 0 F at altitude and I wear my thermals along with other worm clothes. It helps to put hand warmers under your gloves on the back of your hands to help keep them worm. Oh, a full face helmets makes the wind chill a bit more bearable.

If you really want to start your training do it now don't let a little cold weather stop you.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Your profile says Austin area. Do it now! No need to worry about the cold, it's NOT COLD! I'm from Wisconsin, and a few years ago I got to jump at Spaceland in late December. That downright spoiled me for winter jumping. I was in the plane with SHORTS! I'll still jump up here in the winter, or so I keep telling myself... :ph34r:
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

The advice seems pretty universal about starting now. I started Aug last year. You can get a lot of jumps in as long as the weather cooperates. Dress warm. There's fewer tandems, which can be good or bad. You don't have to fight so much to get on a load. But, sometimes they have to shut the aircraft down a little while in the winter until enough people get packed to make the load. Anyway, you know we can have some pretty nice days in the middle of the winter. There will be people jumping there with you...come on.

I would do it now. If you are committed, you can get it done before it starts to get cold. But cold will be the last thing on your mind. You'll be so excited about your AFF jumps, you probably won't really notice the temperature. I did AFF from September through November, then kept jumping, even through February.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD