Mike111

When you were (or are) a student......

Hop out of the plane and pop open your parachute.

Basically, getting out followed by deploying your parachute within a handful of seconds. Usually performed at lower altitudes than a normal jump - 3,000 ot 5,000ft would be common.

Some dropzones offer cheaper tickets for people doing hop n pops.

They hurt like hell. They can also cause severe injuries if you're unlucky... anything from a broken rib to a broken pelvis or back. I believe there have been a handful of fatalities.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I was just wondering, what are the bad things about really hard openings?

Do they damage the back? or do they put excessive strain on the rig container and risers?

Thanks.

As I understand, it can be injurous or just very painful.

I personally have had 2

1 on a Saber 1 210 that made me see stars. It really hurt

and
1 on a Spectre 190 that shook me like a rag doll (I don't know what caused that)

for more detailed information I would ask your instructors

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

You're decelerating from 120mph to about 10mph. If you do so too quickly, the effects to you can include:

• whiplash

• loss of consciousness

• damage to your back

• broken bones - eg femur

• a separated aorta, which will kill you

...but usually it's a sore back and neck, and maybe seeing stars.

Damage to your gear can include broken risers, broken lines, distorted rings, blown up canopy, etc.

Yikes, that didn;t sound very pretty!!!

thanks for the info, so when looking for a canopy, is it still possible to buy a fast opening but soft canopy?

because the only expreience i have is of two types of opening - a veyr soft and slow navigator opening - over 1000 ft to open fully!!, and a faster more jerking navigator opening in a couple of hundred.

Is a comprimise possible between these two?
Thanks

Mike

...because the only expreience i have is of two types of opening - a veyr soft and slow navigator opening - over 1000 ft to open fully!!, and a faster more jerking navigator opening in a couple of hundred.

I'm an old fart...give me the 1000' snivel any day....

A hard opening was my greatest fear as a student and now it's entanglements.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I was terrified of watching everyone ahead of me in the Otter jump out - I kid you not! I hod no problem willingly flinging myself out of the plan, but I hated watching other people, it freaked me out. I got over that after 10 to 15 jumps ... but i'm still scared of "falling" out of the plan - which is assinine, consitering weather I jump out or fall out, it will have an identical outcome - I'll be skydiving :$

I am not afraid . . . I was born to do this
-Joan of Arc-
But what do I know, I'm only 19

Mine was and still is malfunctions. Although been briefed and drilled just concerned that wont be able to recover, or by the time I done cut away & reserve I run out of altitude.

Probably an irrational fear, but you know how things seem to take so long when your in a panic!

As a student at the US Army jump school in Ft. Brnning, GA, my biggest fear was failure. I chose to be an Army Rigger so I could jump out of planes for my entire career. I had a lot at stake.

When I went through my Military Free Fall training, I can remember the fear of being at such a high altitude on my first jump, and being a bit unnerved on my first night jump, but otherwise it was a joy, and a race to the finish.
Arrive Safely

John