kirrz

Completing AFF at different DZ - is it a bad idea?

I just started doing my AFF (set to take Stage 2 soon) at Picton in Australia.
I'm going home to Thailand in less than 2 weeks for 3 months and because of time and financial constraints, there is no way I can complete the whole AFF at Picton in the next 2 weeks.
I have been in contact with someone at the DZ in Thailand who told me that as long as I brought all my documentation, I would be able to continue where I leave off.

I was wondering whether swapping DZs during the AFF is a bad idea?
Also, is there an ideal stage at which to swap? (The maximum I could do here would be stage 4, 5 maybe pushing it).
Would I be able to come back and start on my B-rels in Australia after completing in Thailand?
And also, the AFF course in Thailand is advertised as stage 1-8 being the full course. Here in Sydney, there is a Stage 9 which is 3 solo jumps. Does anybody know what the difference is?

Thanks!!

I started my AFF at Picton and finished at Nagambie, so it is doable.

Would I be able to come back and start on my B-rels in Australia after completing in Thailand?

Probably. Contact the office - (02) 97919155 or [email protected] - and ask them. Or ask Phil next time you're at the DZ. If you can't get an answer out of them, contact the APF.

And also, the AFF course in Thailand is advertised as stage 1-8 being the full course. Here in Sydney, there is a Stage 9 which is 3 solo jumps. Does anybody know what the difference is?

The exact content of AFF courses seems to vary a little by dropzone and by training organisation. As to the exact differences, well, you'll have to ask the Thai DZ...

Best of luck.

I did my first 7 jumps, up to level 5 or through cat d, in virginia then went to school and had to switch to a different drop zone to finish. The instructors at the new dropzone reviewed my logbook, and I got to start off where I ended. It sucked because of starting to get to know people at one dropzone then having to do it all over again at a new one, but since I am too far away to be driving back every weekend, it was a good choice.

for me, it really helped me to switch dzs in the middle of aff. i wish it wouldn't have had to happen - and i could see reasons why it could be a negative thing... but it can also be a great help, and as you have clearly prepared for it for good reasons, i wouldn't imagine you would have many problems.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

FWIW...

Finishing training at a different DZ is not very uncommon.

There's two schools of thought on that...

1. Stick to one DZ because you will get consistent training throughout the process.
2. Going to another DZ is good because you get exposed to different training methods and styles and "quality" of training.

That's not to say that you can't get different training methods and styles adn "quality" at the same DZ, though.

Since it's a moot point because you have to finish at a different DZ and it can be done, go for it!

Good luck, Blue Skies and enjoy the ride.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I did the first few AFF jumps at three different dzs until I settled on one. The lesson I learned is that there are lots of different types of student gear out there. Of the three dzs I visited, some used ripcords, some BOC throw outs, and some had SOS emergency handles. Jumping all kinds of different gear, I believe, has been known to hurt people. So, if they are using different student gear from what you're used to, that's something to think about.

doing one switch isn't bad. two is less good. I traveled to Perris to use the wind tunnel and resume, but finished one level short. Returning to the original DZ, I was reclassified 2, and then 3 levels short because of differences in the programs (and perhaps also because I had 3 prepaid AFF tickets still that they didn't want to swap).

as soon as I got signed off as clear for self solo, I went somewhere else to finish the A license.

For the most part it has to do more with the DZs policies regarding AFF training, some are cool with it some aren't. I'm not going to say anything more about that one.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Make sure you get all the details from the DZ in Thailand. I've been in touch with them about whether or not they have rental gear etc and never heard back. I do know they run courses there so I guess they have student rigs. Would pay to check though.