Spatula

More "great" skydiving publicity on cnn.com

Katie, I am sorry the terrible pain Shayna has had to go through. I am not going to comment anymore on this situation, because it is what it is. I hope Shayna gets better fast, is able to pay her medical bills, and realizes she's hurt many fellow skydivers and apologizes.
I hope she also reconsiders the thought of skydiving ever again, unless she takes full responcibility for her life and her training.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

In Reply To
If she told the unvarnished truth from day one, it would've never left the Incidents forum. Her spreading of misinformation -- whether she meant to or not -- is the cause of all of this.

She wasn't saying anything the first day; she was in intensive care.

"day one" refers to her first interview and she was clearly leaving out significant information...

I agree to your statements but I will go a step further and put responsibility on this Boy Friend.
If your home DZ grounds you for violating a rule, yu open your eyes and see why the fuck the rule was made in the first place. How many of us can get grounded and then convince an instructor to take us to another DZ--I dont think many! But a boyfriend/FJI combination is fucking wrong. If they were dating prior then let another instructor handle her through AFF.

NUR ZUM SPASS

Shayne did not have anything to do with the publicity she is getting.

Sorry, but no one held a gun to her head and said "YOU MUST DO THIS INTERVIEW." She could have aaid no after her first.

The bright lights of the media camera can be addictive.

I'm not an experienced skydiver, just a student, and I'm 22. I'm not reckless! I also don't consider myself a "kid". I don't jump because I have a death wish. I know what can happen in this sport and the fact that someone is 21 and skydives doesn't make them reckless. It's really a shame what happened but I don't think anyone is mad because she told her story or because she made a mistake which is very easy to do as a student...people are mad because she's making it sound like complete equipment failure. I think a lot of us have family that already thinks we're crazy and hearing on the news that a skydiver's main AND reserve "failed to open" doesn't help the situation. I don't want anymore phone calls from family telling me I'm crazy because of a news report that puts an interesting spin on the truth. I hope Shayna recovers fully and if she does decide to jump again, I'm sure she won't make the same mistake. I just think she should be more truthful about what really happened.

I know you don't consider yourself a kid, nor did I when I was 22. Now, looking back at when I was 22, yes, I was a kid --not a juvenile, but still a kid. I guess we could have adifferent definition of kid. I know when I was 22 my definition of "a kid" was someone who was under 16. I suppose it is all a matter of perspective. If I were your parent I would worry everytime you did anything out of my site -- I am a very dodding mother. Pitty my children, they would want you to. ;)

As far as Shanya being truthful, I think in her mind she is being truthful. She went through a traumatic event; something which she probably never even imagined would happen -- then all of the sudden it happened. How many of you think you would be able to give an accurate point by point description of what happen to you in the same situation. I don't think the human mind is capable of being as discerning as some of you are suggesting that it is. It is always a lot easier to say what someone else is doing wrong, than it is to see what you are doing wrong. I am not saying any of you are doing anything wrong, I am just saying ones perspective makes all the difference.

in response to:

Sorry, but no one held a gun to her head and said "YOU MUST DO THIS INTERVIEW." She could have aaid no after her first.

You know what, you don't know her mom. Sometimes, although she doesn't actually hold a gun to a persons head to get them to do something, she can have a similar effect. I am Shayna's mother's baby sister... and I know I have done a lot of things I didn't really want to do simply because of peer (or in this case, sister) pressure. Her mom is a very persuasive person. It has often been said of that she could sell a saddle to a person who didn't even own a horse, and it's true. Whenever we want something taken care of, I mean really taken care of, we send in Shayna's mom. She is just really good at getting most things done the way she wants them done. Don't you have anyone like that is your life? If you don't then consider yourself lucky. Oh, by the way, have you ever had a gun held to your head -- Shayna's mom did, and lived to tell about it -- yeah, she's that persuasive.

In response to:
I don't want anymore phone calls from family telling me I'm crazy because of a news report that puts an interesting spin on the truth.

They may be saying you are crazy, but I think what they are really trying to say is that they love you and worry about you getting hurt, or killed. Just try telling them that you appreciate their concern. They aren't going to stop worrying about you unless they stop loving, and I don't think you want that.:S

I don't consider a kid as an age. I consider a kid as someone who has no responsibility and someone who doesn't have the ability to make educated decisions or take responsibility for their actions. I won't give you a list of the reasons why I'm not a kid, but I will say that age has nothing to do with it. There are people in this world that are 35 years old and more of a kid than a 17 year old. So while Shayna may be, not all 21 year olds are, and writing something like that is as insulting as saying that all skydivers are "crazy". If she really thought that she was completely safe and nothing could happen to her, I think being a "kid" is the least of her problems. Again, nothing bad against her, but there's no reason for you to make judgements about people in an age group. And I think the whole point of this thread was the fact that the story reported was not the truth and that it was giving this sport a very bad rep to people who don't jump.

In respose to:

If she told the unvarnished truth from day one, it would've never left the Incidents forum. Her spreading of misinformation -- whether she meant to or not -- is the cause of all of this.

"day one" refers to her first interview and she was clearly leaving out significant information...

My question:
When would you say she had her first interview?

And believe me I understand that they love me and are worried. And I wouldn't care if I didn't love them. It's not all about being called crazy. I don't want them to hear stuff like this. When people who don't skydive hear stories like this, they jump to conclusions and it causes them to worry a whole lot more.

Very true. But is Shayna the only one to blame? These news stations contacted her. They heard about the video and jumped right on it. I think it isn't so much the story that intrigues the media, but the video. Shayna is not getting any money from the playing of this video. She did get a free trip to New York, but she hasn't gotten any money from any of this coverage.

I am very sorry that it is putting your family in a panic. I stopped watching the news along time ago because it was too upsetting to me. My dad would call and give me grief about it, so I would try watching it, then I would just get all upset from whatever sensational story the press was presenting that day -- it just doesn't work for me.

Sometimes I just need a little TellaTubies (just kidding!);)

Of course she's not the only one to blame! I think everyone knows what news stations want...a good story. I'm only saying that she should admit that it wasn't a complete malfunction. But I'm starting to see this whole thing is pointless so I'm done now. Best wishes to Shayna and her familiy.

I have a 16 year old son, and I worry everytime he goes out to drive. I trust that he is a good driver, what I can't be sure of is that he won't get into a situation that doesn't even allow for reaction time. It is really hard being a parent. You don't even know that you can love somebody as much as you love your own kids, until you have your own kids. In my case, I seem to mentally adopt about every kids I come in contact with. If I could grab them all up and put them in a safe place I would be tempted to do so, but then I would think about the poor old rabbit I had who had to live in a cage -- yeah, he was safe, but was he happy. If skydiving makes you happy then you should by all means continue doing it, but try to understand how hard it is for your family not to want to lock you up in a nice, safe little cage.

By the way, I ended up letting my rabbit have a small hopping pen that allowed for him to grab his freedom if he wanted it. One day he grabbed it.

Insurance it very availble if you want it. Almost every group policy from an employer will cover it. I've used it before and they never blinked twice. There is also major medical coverage availble for just this type of situation. It does'nt cover DR visits but it covers ER and surgery costs. If you are with out medical insurance and you are skydiving you have no one but yourself yo blame when you hurt yourself and you medical bills pile up.

If you have enough money to skydive you have enough money to get at least major medical coverage. If you choose not to, don't come asking for money later.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I haven't seen the national TV interviews, only the online newsfeed which was posted in the other thread.

Consider this people for I have first hand knowledge. Most TV interviews are edited to the point of only telling the story the "News" station wants told. Most interviews will last up to an hour with several dozens questions asked and asked again in a different manner. The interview is then edited down to the sensational aspects of the story.

She's lucky she was even able to say she wants to skydive again once the baby is born and have that statement aired. After all she has been through it just makes her look foolish to the general public.

Most news vultures could care less about the people they interview or the truth to the story. It's themselves and their careers they are most interested in.

.....editied to add one example,

I'm sure some reporter asked her to remove her bridge which replaces her missing teeth. How does she look on air doing that?

Katie, I'm 37 and my dad worries that I skydive. (He worries more now after all this.) The age of your child doesn't have much to do with parental worry.

My point about the jumping with trust that everything would work perfectly was that it is obvious that things go wrong. You've never done a first jump course, but if you had you would realise that a lot of it is spent teaching you what can go wrong (i.e: you KNOW things can go wrong, you KNOW things don't always happen perfectly). And there are warning labels, really big and bright, on each rig. That is why I was surprised at the statement that she jumped believing nothing could go wrong. I just don't understand how someone could have that belief after having gone through the training and before this have jumped bnfore so seen those big bright orange warning labels... that's all.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

In Reply To

She wasn't saying anything the first day; she was in intensive care. If anyone was dispersing false information it had to be Rick.

Reply:

I have been trying to remember when the first interview took place, and I think I remember it being a phone call to the hospital from, maybe, the Ash Grove paper. It was either Ash Grove or Springfield. I don't know if my sister (Shayna's mom) or Shayna's old high school teacher called in the accident. Anyway, the first interview was with Rick, not with Shayna. Shayna, being Rick's girlfriend of not very long would naturally go along with whatever he said happened -- I think that is typically a pretty natural thing to do (unlike after a couple has been married for many years!). :D

Rick presented the event as though it happened because parachutes did not open properly; however, when he talked to me about it he did add that a more experienced jumper probably could have handled the situation better. The thing that bothers me the most about this accident is the stuff I am hearing about the chute having not been appropriate for use by Shayna -- it is very hard for me not to be a little mad a Rick for that, that is, if it is true that the chute was inappropriate for Shayna's use. With so many of you saying that it was I have to believe that it is true.[:/]

it is very hard for me not to be a little mad a Rick for that, that is, if it is true that the chute was inappropriate for Shayna's use

A little mad??? He almost killed your neice.... Id be a little more then just alittle mad
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Post: Insurance it very available if you want it. Almost every group policy from an employer will cover it. I've used it before and they never blinked twice. There is also major medical coverage availble for just this type of situation. It does'nt cover DR visits but it covers ER and surgery costs. If you are with out medical insurance and you are skydiving you have no one but yourself yo blame when you hurt yourself and you medical bills pile up.

If you have enough money to skydive you have enough money to get at least major medical coverage. If you choose not to, don't come asking for money later. <<<<<<<<<

-----------------------------------------------------------

BIG DITTO.... I broke my left ankle in July, no medical insurance. $17,000 and 2 screws later I'm still paying the hospital. I checked into insurance since, and it $118 dollars a month for both of us, with an annual deduction of $3500. After that the insurance pays 100%. I could have afforded that, instead now I'm scared to jump on this ankle until all the swelling and stiffness goes away, I can't go another 4 months without work. Also I asked if they had any exclusions for dangerous sports and I asked specifically asked about skydiving, he could not find anything that would exclude my clam for a skydiving related accident, only that some types of dangerous employment may jack up the premium.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it is very hard for me not to be a little mad a Rick for that, that is, if it is true that the chute was inappropriate for Shayna's use

A little mad??? He almost killed your neice.... Id be a little more then just alittle mad <<<<

There may also be some disaplinary action by the USPA if they get wind of this situation. Instructors are responsibal for wingloading and sizing student reserves. If the Student weighed 115 lbs then with the added weight of gear it would have put her over 1-1 on a PDR 126. I feel 0.8-1 is tops WL for student in winds under 14 MPH. I do not know how much she weighs, but really a 190-126 combination just sounds wrong. The way superfletch describes what the rig looked like closed, how the closing flaps wouldn't overlap, dosen't surprise me when I found out she had a toggle fire on deployment, it just seems like too much shit crammed in there and something would probably work it way loose. However that is just speculation, based on an educated geuss.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

I agree, hell Im still loaded low... I think im at a .725 or .752 ... either way what he did was horrific and I cant believe he isnt getting mroe shit... cant believe she is still with him... then again I dont know if she realzies he basically was giving her a potential incident when he put her out of a plane in that... granted Im to new to have to much of a valid opinion but damn... a 126 ? and theres no way she weighs less then 100 lbs so I doubt it was loaded at less then 1 - 1
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this