Spatula

More "great" skydiving publicity on cnn.com

I dont know if anyones really said much about her actual size, but I am curious, with her being 5'5'' and approx 115 to 120 lbs, how big of a reserve should she have been on for her first AFF?

At 120 lbs, with about 30 lbs for gear, her exit weight is 150, which is the max weight for students under a PR-176.

Typically max weights assume a field elevation of sea level. If the field elevation is higher than sea level, a 150 lbs. student is much better suited with a PR-193 (or larger) or equivalent non PD reserve.

For Great Deals on Gear

I'm guessing she was using the rig because of its fit, right? Or did her boyfriend simply not have access to a more appropriately sized container with a small enough harness? Or was it just a fubar?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Lisa, keep in mind that when an accident happens, it's not because of one thing going wrong. In my experience and from what I have seen, an accident happens because of a chain of events. One link gets weak, then the next one is weak, till finally the chain breaks, causing an accident.

From reading through this thread and the other one, I see a lot of weak chains.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Well guys and gals, I told my sister a little of what was being said here thinking maybe it would make a positive difference somehow, somewhere, someday...
this is the letter I got back from her:

Dear Kathy,

There is such a thing as an accident, which by definition means "not intentional: a mishap". In our world of blamming and law suits Shayna has chosen to take responsibilty for her own actions. How refreshing!

As long as there are gossips there will be gossip. It used to be old ladies in beauty shops with nothing better to do. Now it is faceless keyborders on the internet with nothing better to do. And all this is simply the opinions of people who must themselves be infalable, perfect individuals? Their babble does not change what happened and they will soon move on to analyse and discuss someone else's life circumstances. Our society is great at pointing a finger of blame and "Monday morning quaterbacking" after the fact.

Shayna was asked to tell her story. That is what she has done.

If there is anyone out there that has not done anything foolish in their lives then they have probably had a pretty dull existance. Most of the time we have little or no reprecussions and live to tell our children of the silly things we did. Many times it is young people drinking and driving that not only take themselves out but others as well.

Shayna made the dive, she got hurt, she lived and we are thankful. She has granted all these interviews and turned down dozens for every one she has done. People are interested. So many just find the story facinating. She has recieved no monetary compensation and most of the general public is looking at the big picture. The one of her miraculous survival of what could have been a fatal accident.
And like Mom always taught us, "sticks and stones (or in Shayna's case asphalt) may break our bones but words may never hurt me (us)".

Please copy and paste this to any of those sites full of people with nothing better to do than look for anything ugly or negative to say about this accident, Shayna or Rick. What I see is that my only daughter is alive and therefore I must be thankful.

I will continue to my blessings.

Love,
Rebecca (Shayna's mom)
- Show quoted text -

My addition to this: My mom was so wrong --WORDS CAN HURT.

I just felt like that should be added.

By posting this I am not agreeing with what my sister says, I am just posting it because she asked me to. :|

Some people seek to vilify, some seek to point blame, others seek solutions. If we, as a community, can understand every single element that led up to this accident -- every weak link, as was stated -- then we can try to prevent this from happening again.

We also have something of our own to uphold. Every incident, from a twisted ankle to a crater grave, chips away at something. It's a small community of passionate individuals and it doesn't take much to get us all riled up. When something like this happens and skydiving is pulled into the public eye as this monster that steals 21-year-old girls' futures, it lops a huge chunk right out of this 'something'. It doesn't take a lot to hurt the sport and the people who partake in it, and this is a lot.

That is not to say that I am vilifying Shayna. I think that most people here understand that the incident was an avoidable accident and the social and media outcome was equally avoidable. But as your sister said, we can't change what has happened. I'm thankful that Shayna lived. I'm not thankful for the way that things were handled after the fact. I do not blame her, for she clearly did not mean to hurt the sport. But know that this road goes both ways.

~faceless keyboarder
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Now it is faceless keyborders on the internet with nothing better to do.

I just wanted to address this statement - primarily because this site is unlike any other you might happen upon on the net. Skydiving is a small community and we each know many of the people on here - talked with them, jumped with them, partied with them. It's one of the reasons I keep visiting the site, to keep up with old friends and make new ones to jump with. There are very few faceless keyboarders on here.
Scars remind us that the past is real

I think it’s funny that this video is all over the news. It just makes me look that much cooler to all my whuffo friends and family that I skydive.

Everyone is saying, “dude, I saw that video and it looks insane! You really do that?”

I stare at them with a self-satisfying glower and say “I’ve been there dude, and it ain’t pretty”.

Other times I say “It takes a certain breed of animal to handle a sport this intense, it’s not for everyone”.

I love saying shit like that to people! It makes me feel so superior.

All of you people are so eager to protect the image of the sport. Do you even know what it is that you are trying to protect?

Bad experiences deserve bad press. You just can’t handle it when reality rears its ugly head.

I for one am enjoying all the attention this sport has been getting lately.

UntamedDOG

In reply to:
So caico.katie when are you going out and doing your 1st tandem?

I have actually wanted to try skydiving for a long time, but I am becoming more and more cowardly; I was totally behind Shayna for wanting to try this sport, and admire her for her courage -- as for me, I think I have decided to wait until my 80th birthday:)
Anyway, I am definitely attrracted to the sport, but at this time am WAY too much of a coward; for now I will get my thrills on amusement park rides.;)

By the way, my profile name is just another example of one of my typos (one that I can't fix, apparently) -- it is suppose to be Carico Katie.