Katherine

The best ever DVD?

Hi
I want to buy 2 dvd's, one skydiving and one BASE - which are the best ever? I would like a mixture of free fly, formation and canopy stuff on the skydiving one, but havn't a clue as to which are good.
So, go on - which are you favorate dvds?
x
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

for BASE, i'd definately go with The Shovels: Racking up our remains.

its primarily the Aussies doing what they do best and its fucking nuts!! breathtaking scenery, jumps and antics from the worlds best... it gets better every time i watch it.

you can get it from the cookie composites website along with the other shovels stuff.

cant recommend it highly enough... MEGA... mite go and watch it now...!

hope this helps...
quote 'you are to go around... next time extend your landing gear'

Good stuff is an awsome skydiving movie... really like the junk dives, jumping out with cars, the commericals this guy has made are awsoem, the plane 2 plane jump, .. just a ton of good stuff.

For base (and some skydiving) definately "Keen 'N Able" which can be found at jimmyhalliday.com ... I think there is also a trailer for it on skydivingmovies.com

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

which are you favorate dvds?

There are tons and tons of entertaining videos out there (in no particular order).

Skydiving:

- Chronicles III
- Flyboyz Party Mix
- Good Times
- Crosswind
- The Cloud's Edge
- Trace 101
- Airspeed (if you're into hardcore 4-way belly stuff)

BASE:

- Continuum
- Continuum II
- Standard Issue
- Radux
- Keen 'n Able
- Fistfull of 1-11
- Beyond Exteme
- 1st BASE
- The Shovels
- Adrenaline Rush
- Subterminal

Swooping/Canopy Piloting

- Gravity Pilots
- PD Factory Team DVD
- PST 2003 a year in review
- Swoop
- Swoop II
- Dirt Water Dirt

And there's got to be a whole lot more which was left off of this list only because my brain isn't working all that well this morning and I can't remember them all.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Superterminal is an incredible BASE video.

We're all allowed our own opinions. But Superterminal didn't do very much for me. Sure there is some gnarly footage in it, but I thought it was short and the editing just seemed to be pieced together without much thought of a story or matching the music. But what do I know. There is some gnarly footage in it.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I am also interested in purchasing some movies, but they are so expensive. Does anyone know why skydiving movies are so much more. For example, through paragear soulflyers 2 is 45 dollars. I can buy Goonies for 8$ new (i know it's not the best example but it's such a good movie). Just wondering if there is a particular reason for the mark up. We should all start bothering netflix to add some jump material.

I am also interested in purchasing some movies, but they are so expensive. Does anyone know why skydiving movies are so much more. For example, through paragear soulflyers 2 is 45 dollars. I can buy Goonies for 8$ new (i know it's not the best example but it's such a good movie). Just wondering if there is a particular reason for the mark up. We should all start bothering netflix to add some jump material.

Supply, demand, distribution, size of the market. There's a very limited market for skydiving and BASE videos. A producer of a skydiving video has to recoup the cost of producing the film through the sale of a smaller number of copies than any mass-market film ever would.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I saw some B.A.S.E. footage, maybe it was at Eloy recently, where a guy was sitting on another's shoulders and then jumped. Later, they did two on top of one and all three fell off together! The bottom guy could just barely walk and hold them to even get off the cliff. Was that Keen N' Able?

Size of the market. I've paid $5 for old movie DVD's, $20 for skydiving DVD's, $45 for new skydiving DVD's. Heck, I once paid $250 for a SCUBA diving DVD, but the guy was a professional photographer, they were our dives, and his market was just the 15 people on the boat.

Size of the market. I've paid $5 for old movie DVD's, $20 for skydiving DVD's, $45 for new skydiving DVD's. Heck, I once paid $250 for a SCUBA diving DVD, but the guy was a professional photographer, they were our dives, and his market was just the 15 people on the boat.

I paid $90 for a 6 minute DVD of my 1st Jump. Market Size = 1

No extras and happy upbeat music didn't match the "I just soiled my undies" look on my face either...

;)

I would have to recommend Good Stuff. Its about an hour long, loads of great footage, really nicely edited and the music mix is just great. I can watch it over and over. THen its got about the same length of extras ontop of the main feature. Its one of the cheapest now too.

To be fair though, I havent seen many other videos, just a couple of wally gubbins films ( the "free fall photographer" and "static line instructor" made me laugh :D ) and soul flyers. They're just not long enough.

As for base jumping, The Shovels is a good vid, as is the one I saw at the weekend, but I cant remember what its called. Its one of the few that doesnt have an "In Memory of" during the credits

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Parabatix is the best DVD ever! It will be available in stores and on-line March 2006 for $30 bucks. Check out the trailer here:

http://www.parabatix.org

This DVD is so awesome. It has:

Object Swooping
Mountain Swooping
Competition Swooping
Freefly World Records
RW world records
Base and Wing Suit Base
Paraglider Stunts
VX crew and formation flying
A great slide show
The best wrecks section ever!

The movie runs about 45 min. The slide show and commercials add another 15 min. But when it's over, you'll almost certainly go back and watch your favorite piece again.

Wait for Parabatix. You won't regret it. I'm sure there is someone out there who has seen it. Hey anyone out there! What did you think about the new Parabatix DVD?