matereti

How far will DZO go in insulting you?

I know that each drop zone is a separately owned and operated business.
And being such it has it own set of rules. But lately I started to wonder do they want the business from sport jumpers, the way some of them treat us. Or they just look into doing tandems & students.
The following e-mail is something that I wrote to Joe Richards from Ranch. I've edited it by taking some names out, there is no need to take other people involved into this.
Here is my e-mail:

Hi Joe,
My name is Goran I don't know if you remember me I use to jump at Ranch up to the last season. Last season I've spend at other DZ jumping with 4-way team .
One of the main reasons I left was clubs policy of no dogs.
Well now when is no longer a club I have I question for you as a DZO.
I am joining a newly formed 4-way team .
The team has a plan to do some NSL meets and some or even most of the training at Ranch if possible and go to Nationals.
But my dogs are issue.
I use to hide my dogs in the woods when ranch was a club and I was sick of the stress, will somebody see me or not. I was always picking after them and I was never allowing them to go near skydivers area (packing, landing etc.).
My question is will you allow me to keep my dogs when we train (if we decide to do it at Ranch) at the and of the runway after the pond with me promising you that they will never interfere with any skydiving activity and I will remove all of their "doodoo".
Thank you for your time & blue ones
Goran

As I previously said I am aware that each DZ is private business, but in my mind simple NO will answer all of my questions.
Obviously that wasn't enough for Joe Richards. Here is his answer. I've made bold the part that I can believe he actually wrote.

Hi Goran,
I have a dog, I do not bring her to the dropzone. Dogs historically been an issue at the Ranch. Besides stepping in doggie doo, I've seen them piss on peoples jumpsuites and rigs. I've also had to break up fights.

I think you should do what you really love. Give up skydiving and open up a pet shop or perhaps a Doggie Daycare.
Blue Skies, Joe Richards

Well as I said it is his business how will he treat his customers, obviously I will go and jump somewhere else.
But I do really wonder will he reply in the same manner to prospect tandem passengers or students who will leave couple of thousand bucks in short period of time?:)
Just wonder has anybody else had similar experience?:(
Thanks
Goran

>But I do really wonder will he reply in the same manner to prospect
> tandem passengers or students who will leave couple of thousand
> bucks in short period of time?

Knowing Joe? Yes, he will.

I am just curious, why?

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

I think you should do what you really love. Give up skydiving and open up a pet shop or perhaps a Doggie Daycare.
Blue Skies, Joe Richards

No offense, but that response made me laugh pretty hard.

He probably thinks you are slightly preoccupied with your dogs...and I would tend to agree with him.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

if a dz has a no dog policy it has a no dog policy. period. just got to accept it and jump at places where you can take your dog with you

that is exactly what I am doing, my issue is the way he did replay. as I said simple NO is enough

I don't think the no dog policy is at question here; it sounds to me like the DZO's dickish attitude, and rude, uncalled-for repsonse is the issue. It says more about his character than his policies. IMO

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

No offense, but that response made me laugh pretty hard.

He probably thinks you are slightly preoccupied with your dogs...and I would tend to agree with him.

Could it be that he IS preoccupied with caring for his dogs while he is at the dz all weekend?

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

I don't think the no dog policy is at question here; it sounds to me like the DZO's dickish attitude, and rude, uncalled-for repsonse is the issue. It says more about his character than his policies. IMO

Thank you that is exactly what bothered me. There is plenty of places to jump around. Also I've spend quite a few bucks at his place over the previous years. As I said it is his place, obviously I will go somewhere else after respond like that

Very Funny. A resent topic about the ranch & x keys was locked.
You should read this

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2157921;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

You might find it interesting.
I think If you were a tandem he would have told you to bring your dog & any kind of animal you like.
As long as you did some tandem jumps.

I have to agree with the DZO to certain extent... Dogs, and unsupervised children for that matter, do not belong at the dropzone. They are a nuisance. While some people's dogs are well-trained enough to hang out and not cause problems, most of the time they are not. Unfortunately the majority of dog owners don't take the time to train their pets properly and ruin it for those that do. Such is life.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Your post represents you. Why would someone want a person at their dz if they are going to whine about things here on dz.com ?
A DZO can and should go as far as they can go to insult someone so that the person will jump elsewhere without question. Happens all the time.

Your post represents you. Why would someone want a person at their dz if they are going to whine about things here on dz.com ?

A DZO can and should go as far as they can go to insult someone so that the person will jump elsewhere without question. Happens all the time.

Yeap it is his freedom to insult me as it is for me to whine about it at DZ.com.
That is what I really like about this country.
But my question is how much good can things like this do for sport?
Also were is this sport going in the end.... seriously I was expecting simple NO.

You quit jumping at this club because of a no dog policy. Because of this policy, you hid your dogs. This made you nervous and preoccupied.

Skydiving is kind of serious...definately not the best place for your "B" game. If you cannot be focused on the task at hand, for your own safety, you probably shouldn't be jumping that day.

This is what Joe was saying, only he knew he was dealing with an adult and didn't feel the need to be politically correct...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

All you wanted was a simple "No". But you took the time to bring a personal discussion here.

How much good can this do to the sport ? It can help make one dz a happier place.

Since when is personal discussion when you talk business to someone :P I was planing to go and spend money there, the way he replayed deserve to be discuss, at least to meB|

He may have been forcefull about the no dog rule but face it, he was right.

Even though your dog may have been named Lassie and has saved Timmy from the mine shaft 5 times last week, if you open it to all people with dogs, the most stupid loserish dogs come out from every walk of life.

I have had dogs park their ass on my canopy before packing and when I go to pick them up, they snip at me. My absolute favoraite is having a dog tied up outside on a leash and freaking bark their fucking head off because their owner was paying 100% attention to them. Most dog owners of YIP dogs have aquired the skill of ignoring the barking. To hell with everyone else out there though, it might just be a "all about you" DZ.

I agree he could have used more tact in explaining his position but for those very few he might lose to the dog rule, I will be one for sure to jump there if I am ever in the neighbourhood BECAUSE of that dog rule.

You quit jumping at this club because of a no dog policy. Because of this policy, you hid your dogs. This made you nervous and preoccupied.

Skydiving is kind of serious...definately not the best place for your "B" game. If you cannot be focused on the task at hand, for your own safety, you probably shouldn't be jumping that day.

This is what Joe was saying, only he knew he was dealing with an adult and didn't feel the need to be politically correct...

Man when you run DZ you should be politically correct all the time :)it is an insult the way he wrote to me. No metter the way you put it me being a baby in your mind or not.

My advice is to work at thickening your skin a bit. His response sounds like someone who had a dog piss on his gear, and is sick of people whining about a policy.

I love dogs, but his policy, and to a lesser extent his attitude, are understandable.

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Man when you run DZ you should be politically correct all the time :)it is an insult the way he wrote to me. No metter the way you put it me being a baby in your mind or not.

I dont intend insult with this, but the fact is if you ask a silly question you can expect a silly answer.
You asked if you could bring your dogs to a DZ with a no dog policy. That falls firmly under the silly question category and you got a silly answer as a result.

Its up to you whether or not you want to be offended by it. ;)
__

My mighty steed

Personally all I want to say is, WHat ever happen to customer service? That's what sucks in this world, nobody gives a shit about people anymore. If you run a business I'm a true believer that you need to have good customer service skills. He could of said pretty much the same thing in better words.

Thats the way I looked at it. At the very least you should have been on the phone and not spouting e-mails about taking your business elsewhere. What is it really worth for him to have you around?

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Thats the way I looked at it. At the very least you should have been on the phone and not spouting e-mails about taking your business elsewhere. What is it really worth for him to have you around?

not really, I am just another fish in the pond.
My business was already elsewhere, I was thinking of coming back.
But his answer assured me not come back. I don't think there was anything personal in his answer. But the tone of the answer was totally insulting.
That is what shocked me & I was wondering are there any other people around that had same experience as me. Let's face it DZO's in most of the places have priority for students & tandems. As I've said If somebody in that range e-mailed him with same question bet you the answer will be the same but in the normal polite way.