Katherine

Door Fear...

i realized recently (stupid me) that this is why i do so much better at floating exits - i don't have to look at the ground. :)
too much anticipation when i am trying to set up in the door and looking way down there. you would think my brain would take issue with the fact that i am hanging on to the OUTSIDE of a plane that is in flight, but that part has never really bothered me. stewart suggested i just keep my eyes closed when i am trying to diving exit, but i am not quite sure how to make that one happen.. ;)
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

...is gone. Woohoo, finally. It only took 24 RAPs jumps:$

remind me not to jump with you... :P j/k... ;) I don't think my door fear ever goes away completely. (and some fear is a good thing...) in fact on the last jump I did I was one of the floaters on a casa 6-way chunk.

The door opened and the amber light turned on... everyone got in the door (we were at around 9000 ft due to clouds, above us...) there was also a decient amount of turbulence and here I am (along with my mirror to the right of me) staring at red standing on the edge of the ramp waiting for green afraid that I'm going to bounce off without the rest of the chunk.

after what seemed like forever... the green light switched on and we had a beautiful launch B| into an ice storm... that was rain at ground level... (but it was an awesome Skydive... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Once I'm in the door I'm fine :)It's the ride up top that I'll get the knot in the stomach feeling when I haven't jumped for a while [:/]

The thing that blew me away was the first time I watched the skydiver before me go out the door ( so I could establish separation before I exited )
He was gone in the blink of an eye,that's when the penny drops for me,that's when you realise what you are about to do,awesome sight,still is.
I love it when there's a Tandem on the load .I love to just fall off the step backwards and watch their faces, because I know what they're seeing ;)

Makes you realise how those seconds and altitude will disappear if you have a mal.

Practice your EP's regularly.

Would love to jump a skyvan.
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.

It's the ride up top that I'll get the knot in the stomach feeling when I haven't jumped for a while [:/]

Yeah, I am with you there. But I guess once I have done it fairly recently, then I have no trouble. Just sit back and relax on the way up, then jump and enjoy the ride down...

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

...too much anticipation when i am trying to set up in the door and looking way down there...stewart suggested i just keep my eyes closed when i am trying to diving exit, but i am not quite sure how to make that one happen..

I just recently passed AFF, so only from experience, if you're not at the spotting stage, then try to look at the horizon and then at the front of the plane as soon as you step out.

If I looked down and not towards the plane then I would have had an unstable exit because my body would have followed where my head was looking and I would have probably failed that level.

By the time I was done with AFF I could spot with minimal level of fear... I attribute this to focusing on the task at hand. I think about my progression to the door and what I'm going to do when I get there. If I'm jumping first, I have to make sure nothing is down there to splat into and that I'm over the DZ; and if I'm behind somone, I have to make sure to give them 5 seconds before I bail, look and then bail myself.

Lisa, I think I just figured it out... rather than focusing on your fears and nerves, just focus on the tasks at hand, whether it's getting to the DZ, putting on your gear, getting in the plane, going through the plan of what you are going to do in your head during frefall and finally setting up your exit. Shit, if you're concentrating on all that, then how are you going to have time to be nervous? ;)

This goes along with the, "don't over think it, just do it!" B|

I don't have door fear-- I have bench fear (surely there must be a name for this); that is, I get really nervous on the ride up to altitude. But as soon as we start moving toward the door, it goes away.

I have exactly the same fear. The moment the plane starts climbing I start asking myself about what I'm doing here, and something like "I'd better be at home now". The fear increases, and gets the maximum at the moment the door is opened, and people start spotting. However it ends immediately as soon as my JMs ask me to the door.

However my AFF5 was much better than AFF1 anyway :)
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

The only fear I have of the door is when I'm sitting next to an open door with a full load as we are blasting down the runway and still below 1000 feet. As soon as we hit that magic number I relax (thankfully doesn't take long) Last time I wedged my foot against the door frame and locked my knee down so I physically couldn't fall out the door. Even if the plane banked centrifugal force would keep you in the same place anyway, its just phsychological.

Yep, I think I didn't like getting in the door with sitting exits because you are sitting there with you legs and most of your bum out of the plane before you actually go, where as with diving exits you are all in, then all out. Much better.
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

I was jumping out of Otters and Porters for all my early jumps, so there wasn't really that much sitting. I'm also short enough to be able to stand pretty well in the door, especially in the Otter. I was just a little worried about being really unstable on exit I think. In the poised exits, I KNEW I was going to be presenting to the relative wind, and that wasn't necessarily the case in the diving exits, so it kind-of freaked me out. After having some free-fall stability issues in a couple of jumps, I wanted to be as stable as possible when I left the plane.

All in all, it was just me being silly and not letting go of what I had grown to be accustomed with. I got over it, and now I've finally got my A license. I don't think that would have ever happened if I didn't let go of my "issues" in the last few jumps- Jumping 8 times in 2 days does wonders to build up some confidence.