jumpingjimmy

Wing Loadings - who is over?

I think jimmycricket is a very experienced skydiver who has changed usernames and has been taking the piss for the last few weeks. All his threads and posts have this stupid mentality answers about them.

Jimmy, look out your window!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend killed on landing.

One of the most impressive points made during the canopy course I took regarded that very thing.

When I jump I try to visulize where the turbulence will be based on wind speed and direction. Not a cure all, for sure. Allowing a couple hundred feet from obstacles is a nice little margin.

I've had two landings where I wished I'd had a couple more square feet overhead.

That is part of the reason I watched last weekend instead of jumping. I thought, "just a little too sporty for me today"

One lesson from flying airplanes is that a bunch of pilots who were better than me in every regard somehow put themselves in a nonrecoverable situation. When I read about skydivers with hundreds or thousands of jumps more than me hurting themselves I know the same thing can happen at the dz.

I really do want to die quietly at home in bed, in about 40 years. Not screaming in agony or fear at the dz.

All the best,

MH

Heh. I was thinking of a different poll, aimed more at low-to-medium experience jumpers. Here's one, and though it's not the one I had in mind, it supports the 30% over contention.

though to be accurate, it's overloaded based on a *really* conservative set of guidelines for the first canopy. I

I really do want to die quietly at home in bed, in about 40 years. Not screaming in agony or fear at the dz.

so true....

reminds me of my father, he died quietly in his sleep, not screeming and shouting like the passengers on his bus

:D that shit made laugh so loud i scared my dog.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I'm on a Crossfire loaded at about 1.2 I've read here on the site here that that's way too aggressive for my 'level' etc, but I haven't heard that thought in words, yet. Total experience is not reflected solely by the number of jumps someone has.

I have fun with the canopy at any rate.

Ive been flying at a little over 1.25:1 since about my 15th-20th jump. other than my first couple AFF i was pretty accurate with my landings. I used to fly gliders a lot so i was kinda used to the whole what goes up must come down idea and planning decents, judging distances and stuff. um, the canopy i fly is still big, a 189 and 190s back then, and not very elliptical so i still kinda have a boat over my head. I felt comfortable after trying it once and kinda went with it. I dunno if this is considered an extreme loading for my previous jump numbers, but i felt comfortable and so did my instructors that fle wwith me. I would not have jumped anything below a 190 back then.

Peace, be safe!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

On 56 jumps??

Dude, coaching aint going to make up for a lack of 450 landings.
Icarus dont want you on a crossfire for around 500 jumps. Sure get on one with three hundred but 56??

I see you are on a vengence, maybe it is an american thig, i dont know, it just dont seem right to me.

I got to say, 56 jumps over three years aint exactly current. On a crossfire this uncurrent is not a good thing.

The only thing i can think of is this guy is hard into ground launching or something cause there aint going to be many dealers that would sell a guy with this little jumps a crossfire. I know ICARUS would not stand for it.

I have just had a big lecture by ICARUS about selling my vx's and crossfires

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

The crossfire moves slow compared to some other things out there...

In general, you just need to be able to pick up the rate changes and be tuned enough to realize what needs to be done to stay safe and how to do it in a timely manner. It's the speed at which things happen that is the issue, not the 'things that happen' themselves.

In light of somebody telling me that Americans place more importance on wing loadings than Europeans do, who on here is jumping a wing loading more than the BPA/USPA recommends for your jump number?

and more importantly, why do you feel you don't need to listen to their advice?

I load at whatever I feel comfortable with... somewhere between "boring" and "holy shit!". I prefer closer to "boring" personally since I travel a lot and don't like jumping uber-fast canopies into unfamiliar DZs. I'd jump pretty much _anything_ in Eloy though... there's not much to run into there on slow days.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Whats the rush?

I have about 150 jumps, I am 180lb out the door and I am flying a Sabre 170. I have heard of people of my experience level getting on to 150's and 135's. I have done some canopy courses with a Scott Miller course coming up. I have stood up every landing, and can land cross wind. I was considering test flying a 150 late last year but was busy with competitions, and I don't want to try a new canopy during a comp. After having to take a couple of months off over summer I feel I am now not current enough to downsize just yet, plus I have been doing the Autumn league. I also want to learn as much canopy flight as I can with a larger canopy, as they are more forgiving.
Some see downsizing as a right of passage.

how much more difficult can it be to land a canopy that is say ? 50 square foot smaller than you're used to?

When the chips are down, your landing off, the wind conditions have changed since the time the airplane took off with powerlines and trees all around and there are dogs barking, houses everywhere and you have to put your canopy down in a very tight area. So dont think of the difficulty level when everything is going as normal, but consider when everything is shit.

50 Sq. foot in this situation may be a HUGE difference.

I was told to fly the W.L./Canopy/Reserve that I was most likely able to land safely when the chips are down and everything is shit.

Sounded like good advice then, sounds like good advice now.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

You have 56 jumps in three years mate. You have fuck all experience unless you are involved in ground canopy training.

I am curious you said that jumping is not the only way to get experience, please enlighten me to how you have experience.

Whatever though good luck with your skydiving.
I think the person who sold it to you is a fool along with the DZO that lets you jump it. Just my opinion though. You should not be on a crossfire at a wingloading of 1.2 let alone 56 jumps in three years, any sane person will tell you that.

I am not trying to offend you, i just do not agree with you.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

You have fuck all experience unless you are involved in ground canopy training.

I am not trying to offend you, i just do not agree with you.

Opinion appreciated, but remember this is the internet, and we have not jumped together... why make calls so soon?

That's cool, no offense taken...

In resp. to an above speculation- it's a 159... for whatever that;s worth.

Dude, if you are telling the truth about your jump numbers and how long you have been working on those numbers and you jump an elliptical canopy...... That says to me that you are a danger to yourslef and have gone against very important safety guidelines that others before us have put in place. I use to watch Jyro, J.C. and others test Icarus canopies and i respect what Jyro says and the guidelines he puts in place for the canopies that he builds.

With all that to think about, I could never trust you in the sky enough to jump with you.

Again, it is the internet and i am not trying to offend you, i just cant understand where you think you have enough experience to jump this canopy.

Look, you are alive and it is working for you by the looks of things but dont get cocky and think you have experience and when/if you get turned away from other dropzones understand why and dont take offense.

Anyway, i got a vx 104 for sale if you want to buy it off me.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store