piisfish

Will you stop driving if....

If you don't know how to put gas in the tank ?? Will you only go to gas sattions where someone will fill up your car ?

from the infamous "Skydive Miami Thread"

All i know is that i'm not jumping in skydive miami till i learn to pack

And that's a 300+ jumps "skydiver"

My opinion is you "should" be independant with packing at around 20-30 jumps... If you don't like to pack it's OK, but you should still know how to do it....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

i agree fully. not to blame packers, but the two reserve rides my wife has had have been on packers pack jobs, and she did know how to pack at the time. totally believe in self reliance, its amazing how fast something will get corrected when its your own fault.

My opinion is you "should" be independant with packing at around 20-30 jumps... If you don't like to pack it's OK, but you should still know how to do it....

I agree 100% Infact, so does the USPA, you have to pack unsupervised to get your A license. Unfortunately, as I've seen it some DZs pencil whip the A license proficency card on a lot of the "trivial" stuff like packing and spotting. Atleast around here you have to accomplish those goals, you have to pack AND jump your own pack job (adds motivation to learn). You also have to spot atleast one load by yourself (that's coming up with what the spot should be and everything).

So far reserve rides I've had are 4 from packers 0 from me.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've not learnt how to pack, and i have no intention of learning at the moment. It costs £4 for a pack job at my DZ, i can afford that so i'll let others have the hassle of doing it. Basically i'm lazy and can't be bothered to do it myself

Oh, great attitude. :SMaybe you should stay on static line, too; why bother to pull for yourself?

At 85693 jumps I'm surprised you haven't learned to pack yet.

Choosing not to pack for yourself once you've learned is one thing. Choosing not to learn is inconceivable to me.

Is packing not a requirement of AFF? I learned on a static-line progression course at Ft Bragg. We packed our own main every jump from the first one.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Few civilian schools teach packing early in the process.
Most civilian schools find it far quicker to have staff members pack all the student rigs. This also lowers the malfunction rate.
PFF (Canadian program similar to AFF) students do not learn how to pack until after they earn their solo certificate (minimum ten jumps).
PFF Instructors try to avoid over-loading students during their first few freefalls.
Normally PFF graduates learn how to pack while they are completing the jump skills for their A Certificate (between jump number 10 and jump number 25).

hey, why not everybody learn to pack and then the packers will be out of a job... sounds good to me

Absolute nonsense:S

Damn near every licensed skydiver doe know how to pack, and the packers are still in business. Why? They pack student rigs, tandem rigs, cameramens rigs, teams rigs, busy instructors rigs and the rigs of people who just don't want to pack for themselves all the time.

Knowing how to pack doesn't mean you have to pack for yourself all the time, it will stop you from having to rely on other people and it does mean you will understand a hell of a lot more about how your equipment works. IMO that can only make you safer.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've not learnt how to pack, and i have no intention of learning at the moment. It costs £4 for a pack job at my DZ, i can afford that so i'll let others have the hassle of doing it. Basically i'm lazy and can't be bothered to do it myself

Did you even bother to learn how the gear works? How about maintaining the gear? If you needed to swap main canopies with you risers, would you know what to do? How about knowing the condition of your closing loop? What about the 3 rings? What about that pilot chute? Do you know what's going on there and what sort of maintenance must be done? Or do you just ignore gear checks and put your life on the line because someone else said it was good to go all because you're lazy?

It's fine to be able to afford things and let others do the work of packing for you (there are plenty of jumpers who hire packers). But you will never build the appropriate skills of knowing your gear if you don't regularly inspect it and I'm sorry you can't properly inspect a closed rig. Packing is not a big deal, but not doing proper gear checks is.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I just learned how to pack so I can get my A license!! I've packed my canopy... but I spend like an hour doing so.... yeah, that nice big student rig.... when i downsize to my next rig that I'm buying, i'll definitely be packing that one.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

i'm not really interested at the moment, i trust the gear will work and thats fine for me

i know i'll be interested in finding out how it all works later, but i'll still not learnt to pack for ages yet, i would rather have a chat and a laugh on the ground than be packing a rig

yep, there really are people who are that lazy out there, i'm one of them :)

Golfing is about your speed.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Wait... license F?? no name entered... nothing.... is this a troll??

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

back to the original post.. yeah, when i read that, my jaw dropped. I learned to pack during my student solo jumps. was not able to jump my own pack the day i learned due to winds, so had to do it again next time i was out (luckily beer buys education in skydiving, the guy who taught me was awsome, and made sure i knew how, and then helped even after.. Since then, i occasionally use a packer, just to save some time, make a load faster, get lunch.. ect ect. But, for the majority of the time, i like to pack my own. At this point, a packer does a better job, but I need to learn eventually, and don't want to be reliant on someone else to do what i should be doing.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

i'm not trolling on this subject

i really dont understand why i MUST pack my own? :S just because most people do, doesn't make it skydiving law that everybody must

i'm lazy, i dont want to do it, there are people there who do it as their job for cheap... why should i not use them?

Besides my earlier post about knowing how to maintain you gear (that is a different subject, but related), you should know how to pack. That doesn't mean you need to pack for every jump. But if you are reliant on others to pack for you, what are you going to do when you're at a DZ or a boogie where no one is around or are too busy to get you on a load? You're going to sit on the ground instead of jumping, that's what's going to happen. If you think that there will always be someone around to pack for you, I've got some news for you. You obviously haven't been around to too many different DZs or different boogies. Most of the time your laziness won't hurt you. But there will be times when you just won't get to get jump because you don't know what you're doing. Packing isn't a big deal. Learn how to pack and more importantly learn how to maintain the gear. You'll never be a complete skydiver until you know how to do these two things. :P

I can pack, just not my new canopy, its just so frikken slippery!

Packing a new ZP canopy can be frustrating. But there are tricks of how to do it. Buy a packer a beer or two and get them to show you some of these tricks.

what are you going to do when you're at a DZ or a boogie where no one is around or are too busy to get you on a load? You're going to sit on the ground instead of jumping, that's what's going to happen.

and write posts bashing DZ's and boogies to say they suck because they cant/won't pack for him.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

i'm not trolling on this subject

i really dont understand why i MUST pack my own? :S just because most people do, doesn't make it skydiving law that everybody must

i'm lazy, i dont want to do it, there are people there who do it as their job for cheap... why should i not use them?

If in fact you're NOT just trolling...:)
(I wonder considering many of the threads you start)

I'll address your reply honestly~:)

No one says you MUST pack.

I think we're saying that you SHOULD know how.

If as you say, you're to 'lazy' to learn about your gear. Then so be it. The terms 'tourist' and 'DGIT' come to mind as a possible description of your mindset. Hang around long enough and you'll likely out grow that.;)

If you're too lazy to care about how to do this basic thing safely, you no doubt are to lazy to learn how to do many of the other things you need to know how to do, to be a proficient jumper.

That's your choice.

3 decades and 3000+ sport jumps, 1000+ demos, 500+ Tandems into it, I've never paid for a pack-job on a main.

I KNOW the condition of my gear, that the slider and pilot-chute are set, the closing loop is both intact and tight, Velcro is clean & strong, 3 rings operational, reserve ripcord cable & housing clean and dry, reserve pin set...on and on.

If YOU don't care about YOUR gear, it's condition and how it works ...I most certainly don't.B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

... [:/] your quote..."i'm lazy"......

Laziness leads to complacency complacencey leads to inattention and inattention in skydiving can lead to all sorts of "interesting things"... :o
I fear not for you,, but for those who might be around you should such things occur.
If you have more than a couple of dozen jumps and want to be considered a 'jumper'.. you really ought to know how to pack, :|
and just like jumping,, you should at least do it often enough to stay current.:)C'mon man,, you're gonna give all jimmys a bad rep. Get better in tune with your gear. shape up.:P;)B| no kidding
jimmytavino