Comfortablynumb

A concern Mother with many questions

Hello everyone, I am hoping for a little advice. I feel really silly but I don't know where else to turn. My son (Troy) turns 21 next month and he has ALWAYS wanted to skydive. Troy with born with a progressive Pulmonary disease. He does exceptionally well with this and is currently holding his own. With that being said, it is very important for all of us that he lives his life to it's very fullest. He has been fitting some traveling in between school, work, buddies and girls. Well-my husband and I have been seriously chewing on the idea of a "surprise skydive" (tandum) for his birthday. Something that he will always remember. Hopefully, it is very likely that his Doctor will approve of this.
Here comes the "dumb" part.....I am scared to death. The only place that I am somewhat familiar with frightens me as several years back a former co-worker got broken up pretty badly (she was not doing tandum) and I have heard of a couple deaths associated with this business. From what I can tell they are the only game in town. How do I check out credentials? Is it possible to "pay extra" for an extra 'chut or two? (I am quite serious) I do not really wish to disclose this place as I am painfully aware that I am completely ignorant of skydiving and the facts surronding the incidents. I don't know that it would be the best etiquette to call and flat out ask about this...but I would hate for my son to miss out because Mom didn't know the facts.
Well-that's it in a nut shell.
Any advise, reassurance, replies and prescription drugs would be welcome.

Obviously you're doing the right thing and asking the Dr's permission. That's the important step, especially since the DZ most likely wouldn't take your son without written proof of permission.

As for "more backup chutes." Not possible, not practical and not needed. I'm not saying that reserves never malfunction. They do, however, its not something that worries me to a fault. I've had 4 reserve rides in 1900+ jumps. Its worked so far.

Ok, I'm not going to tell you that its a safe activity. I'm not going to try to bullshit you with statistics about skydiving vs. auto accidents, lightening strikes or even bee sting deaths. If your son is really set in taking to the air, just as millions of other people have done and continue to do, then support him and make his dream come true.

You can check the DZ reviews here on DZ.com to check the DZ out. If you're in TX drop me a PM and we can chat about the DZ that is close to you. Infact if you would like, you can drop me a PM and ask me anything you want without having to post it publicly. I am a Tandem Instructor with over 1900 jumps and about 900 of those are tandem instruction jumps.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As a mother and a new skydiver I think that it is wise to be concerned and cautious. A skydiving insructor friend of mine suggested that I get my physicians permission before skydiving due to my age and medical history. I am glad that he (strongly) suggested it...Now I know i am not putting the DZ and the people there in a situation that might be difficult for them as well as for me, Also they take plenty of precautions with me because they know my potential touble areas.
My son is 21 and WILL NOT skydive and just shakes his head about me skydiving. He does not express concern about my safety but has said that he knows that I would do it anyway...besides he reminds me that I used to do crisis intervention and would be in more potentally dangerous situations than skydiving. Frankly if my son had wanted to do this before I investigated skydiving for myself I probably would have freaked!! I hope your sons doctor gives him permission and that you investigate the safety of the DZ and staff. My DZ is wonderfull---staff are skilled, knowledgeable and caring and FUN!! I feel safe at my DZ--and with the staff!! And that is important!! I know that it is difficult to let our children take risks but risk taking is a right and dignity issue! i do not mean taking stupid dangerous risks but after gaining information and evaluating the danger of the risk taking.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!! Have a happy day!!
Janet

I would suggest that you go out one afternoon and watch. Most DZ`s dont mind at all if you come out and spend some time watching the Jumpers land as long as you stay in the designated spectator areas. Dont be afraid to ask questions.

Most dropzones will be jumping all day Saturday and Sunday and putting up loads as soon as the jumpers can get repacked or they will be flying back to back loads if they have enough Jumpers there to keep the plane going.

Look up the reviews for the drop zone here.

The only suggestion I would make is to try to avoid dealing with 1-800-SKYRIDE. They are not a real Drop zone but have 100`s of web sites for Fake Drop zones that do not really exist, They also have a very bad reputation for being dishonest in selling "Skydiving" gift certificates that are NOT accepted at many drop zones.

(Another reason to go out to the Drop zone in person and purchase your skydive directly from them.)

As far as safety goes for a Tandem Skydive.. Tens of thousands of Tandem Jumps are made each year with very few injuries.

With the tandem, it's kind of a 'buy one get one free' deal on the parachutes. You have a main parachute, if that one has an issue, the instructor gets rid of it and uses his spare parachute.

Everyone else had good words of wisdom. Best thing is head to the DZ, hang out, ask questions, watch parachutes getting packed and used, listen in on some of the instructor/student situations if possible. The more you learn, the more comfortable you will be with the idea.

Warning... skydiving is addicting. You may end up getting him more than just one tandem if he gets hooked ;)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Very nice thread. I have no advice except I think its wicked you want to make your sons dreams come true. BTW when he goes for his jump, be sure to get a video with stills if it is avaliable. Almost 100 jumps and I still watch my tandem once a week or so. Why not make it that much more memorable by sharing the experience with him? You brought him into this world, so on his birthday you both should make a jump, it might seem like it is expensive (what I thought before I first did it) but after the experience you will realize that what the instructor and videographer gave you was priceless.

This was a great way to start my day. Thanks and make sure you let us know how the jump goes as well as attaching a picture ...after all, it didnt happen unless its on video.

:)
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Troy with born with a progressive Pulmonary disease. He does exceptionally well with this and is currently holding his own.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Definitely ask his doctor - or an FAA Flight Surgeon - how well your son will handle higher altitudes and lower air pressure.
Most skydives are done from 10,000 or or 12,500 or 14,000 feet above sea level. This is mild by airline standards.
At 10,000 feet, there is only 2/3 the pressure trying to force air into the lungs. This means less oxygen reaching the brain, etc.
For comparison, airlines usually pressurize their cabins to 5,000 or 8,000 feet above sea level.
Most people - with healthy lungs - can handle jumps from 14,000 feet as long as they are above 10,000 for less than 30 minutes. Fortunately, most modern turbo-prop jump planes (CASA, King Air, Porter, Skyvan, Twin Otter, etc.) can climb to 14,000 in 10 or 12 minutes, so the time of exposure to low air pressure is minimal.

Troy with born with a progressive Pulmonary disease.

Another question, you say your son was born with COPD, did you smoke a lot when you were pregnant with him or something? I don't mean to sound rude but tobacco is the main cause of this condition. Just curious.

UntamedDOG

Another question, you say your son was born with COPD, did you smoke a lot when you were pregnant with him or something? I don't mean to sound rude but tobacco is the main cause of this condition. Just curious.

Why are you curious? So you can rag on her even more? What difference does it make? How is her answer to your question going to effect your life?

What a waste of bandwidth.

Thats irrelevant to her question. The answer changes nothing and its also not your business.
__

My mighty steed

UntamedDOG

To the unwise and those who assume.:P She did not say her son was born with COPD. She said Progressive Pulmonary Disease. There is a big difference. She may have been indicating her child had something like Cystic Fibrosis. And no, you can't get COPD from your mother smoking.:|

steveOrino

Quit being a twat waffle. She said a progressive pulmonary disease, not COPD. I'd be willing to bet it was something along the lines of CF.

Whether or not she smoked while pregnant has no bearing on her current question. Go be an asshole somewhere else.

IHBT. YHL. HAND.

I think what you are doing is amazing. You obviously care greatly for your son and his dreams. Please do not let posters like untamed dog detract from your figuring this out. You have done the right thing asking the physician. You can also search for other dropzones in your area using this site. I wish you and your son the best of luck!!!

Thank all of you for your support. I am feeling much better about this experience for him. Still waiting for his Doctor to give the Okay.
Thank you AggieDave for letting me throw all those questions at you in private.
Flying Granny and LisaMarie, you made me feel so much more confident in this possiblility.
Steveo and Wildcard, you are correct in your theory, that is my son's diagnosis. But, again--he does do well compared to the majority of cases.
I will be away from the board for several days but again, Thank you all (I know I missed some of you) for your support and kind words. I will keep the board updated. You are a great bunch of folks.
Oh yeah, Untamed- I don't take you seriously, in fact I bet you are special.
As in "special bus".

In refernece to the altittude concerns already stated in another post, if a doctor has a problem with the high altitudes, see what he would consider a reasonable altitude.

Tandems can be done from 7500 or 8500 ft with no problem. many DZ's will have a smaller aircraft that can take your son, his instructor and a camera man to what ever altitiude is deemed medically safe.

Also, if he is physically capable of making a solo skydive, a static line jump can is usually made from around 3000 or 4000ft. This is a common method of making a first jump, and I have personally seen a 93 year old man make a successful jump this way.

Both of these options are perfectly viable, and would be 100% of the fun of jumping from a higher altitude for a first jump. Keep these options in mind, and get your son up in the air.

Oh yeah, Untamed- I don't take you seriously, in fact I bet you are special.
As in "special bus".

One smart lady here! Its always refreshing to see someone new pick up on creatures like Untamed right away!

I hope the best for you and your son, and I hope your skydiving experience is spectacular!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The altitude should not be a problem for the length of time he would be exposed (assuming he does not have any acute respiratory illness at the time). Being just a little technical, but it helps the explaination - the partial pressure of oxygen at 14,000 ft. is 93. As long as it stays above 60, there should be no acute effects, again as long as his base line sat runs above 95-96% he should have enough reserve to tolerate a partial pressure in the 90's. The thing that would cause me to pause would be that most CF kids are severely underweight and there could be an issue with the harness fitting his legs. I would assume, however; that since he is 21 and still doing well, he is likely less affected by weight issues. Just check to make sure the harness fits well. Good luck, and I hope he enjoys it.