LisaH

Tracking...

Won't your instructor show you what it looks like?
:D

After all, that's his job.

:D:D I'm sure he would...but I don't think I'll get that far. I just wanted to show someone what it looked like.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

That second shot shoes the guy in the middle deploying with line twists. Excellent depictions of tracking though!

I wouldn't exactly call that second picture tracking. I see a lot of people diving away from a formation in an attempt to track.....but not much tracking.

I wouldn't exactly call that second picture tracking. I see a lot of people diving away from a formation in an attempt to track.....but not much tracking.

Take a look at the left side of the pic, quite a few people floating up on the formation already.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Even a 1000 miles journey starts with a single step.

Tracking is about gaining horizontal speed.

If you have docked to a formation on the bely you don't have have horizontal speed.

Could you please explain how that is NOT tracking?

TRACK : To move fast horizontally in freefall often to achieve separation from other jumpers.

A proper "Flat Track," which should be used when trying to gain separation from a formation, involves minimizing vertical speed. A good tracker can reduce their vertical speed to 80 or 85 MPH. This reduction in vertical speed allows for more time to track and hence more horizontal separation.

It is very bad form to dive (increase vertical speed) in a "track" away from a formation. Some of the people in the picture are diving at the begining of their "track".
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Could you please explain how that is NOT tracking?

TRACK : To move fast horizontally in freefall often to achieve separation from other jumpers.

A proper "Flat Track," which should be used when trying to gain separation from a formation, involves minimizing vertical speed. A good tracker can reduce their vertical speed to 80 or 85 MPH. This reduction in vertical speed allows for more time to track and hence more horizontal separation.

It is very bad form to dive (increase vertical speed) in a "track" away from a formation. Some of the people in the picture are diving at the begining of their "track".

There's "tracking" and then there's "flat-tracking". When it comes to getting horizontal separation from others in a formation, I agree with you, but go to a few big-ways and you will see many people whose idea of flat-tracking is to dive away from the formation.

Go on a tracking dive and usually the track is not very flat.

If you do it right on a staged break-off you can look between your legs and see the base below you.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.