somethinelse

In training: Getting UNSTABLE then stable again

HELP!

I'm working my way thru my proficiency card while in training. I've got a few things undone yet tht shake me up just thinking about them!

I'm okay about KEEPING STABLE. How do you -prepare yourself to deliberately get unstable-m whether it's the barrel roll or tumble (or what ever?) and then get into a stable box position again?

My gut tells me don't get unstable, yet, I gotta learn to do this. RIGHT?

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SOLID ADVICE. THanx-LILA.

This are some of the next things I'm gonna have to learn to do.

Firstly, what ever you hear here, follow what YOUR instructor tells you!

Getting "unstable" is fun, you'll do a couple flips and a couple barrel rolls, relax, take a deep breath and know this: arching works! All you have to do is relax, breath and arch and you'll pop back on your belly. If you tense up and get weird, your AFF instructor is there for a reason.;)

Good luck and have fun!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You can do it. Tell your instructors about your concerns. You'll be high enough that you can easily recover from an unstable position with thousands of feet to spare. Good luck!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Hmmm.

You're right. But, it really DOES NOT SOUND LIKE FUN!

This past Saturday at the DZ this guy was all excited talking about head down, and that about freaked me out hearing him JUST DISCRIBE that!

I can't see me doing anything but relative work for quite a while! Just seems to freaky, somehow. I need to feel in control.

Ya know?

Once you get to really trust your ability to normally be stable and to get stable when you want to, things like flips or other temporary instability will sound more fun. Is your instructor helping you take things one step at a time?

A flip in the air is like when you were knee-high to a grasshopper and would do front-rolls on the lawn. A barrel-roll in the air is like rolling over in bed (in fact, that's how I practiced to get the hang of them :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Interestign that you bring this up! I did a Belly (me) freefly jump (5 guys freeflying) on sunday. We funneled the exit bad and ended up head down and on my back for about the first 3000ft. Needless to say I kinda freaked at first (the fockers wouldn't let go and it was the pre-second time I have been unstable on exit) and thought to myself, this is kinda kewl then thought about AFF, and arched and wham-bam I was on my belly. Needless to say that arching crap they teach ya works!! Anyway, I had a blast and it was really kewl to be in a position i've never been in before, just relax and enjoy and be safe. ;)
"GOT LEAD?"

as it was previously said. ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR HOW TO DO THIS. ask him though about the things these people are telling you. We are virtual, he is your instructor for a reason.
A good simple thing is what you do on AFF level 4 or 5... just a simple back flip by pulling your knees to your chest while in the box and pushing down with your arms. The whole point of this back flip is so you are put in an unstable position to get stable again. lots of fun. If you are ever unstable just arch but dont be to tense about it. if on your back practise lying on the ground on your back and rolling on over to your stomach, this is exactly what you do when in freefall to recover, just arch, always arch. being unstable will be no fun if you tense up to much, relax and enjoy.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I'm not in AFF. Here's how it's gone so far.
Started with 4 tandems..progressed to AFF up thru level 5. Ran out of good weather and money.

Gone from sport 2 years..But I'm back now, and at new DZ, have done 2 statics. And am going back for 1 more static, hi/low solo, then coach jumps/instructor aided jumps..I'm back there this weekend hoping for 3-4 jumps.

The DZSO & DZO are working with me to get me trained. So far it's been REALLY good at this DZ. I'm just thinking ahead.

I AM AN EXTREMELY VISUAL THINKER...
...So I know whatcha mean!

Really, I look forward to freestyle some day in the (distant?) future! It'll all be a great blast, as I gain experience and skill.

BUT the UNKNOWN is SCARY for me! I want to be able to be good at what I do, and know what to expect.

Thanks for the encouragement! Please keep giving me your valuable take on things. Gotta go, but will be excited to see what all is posted on here when I check tomorow

'Bye! :)

My gut tells me don't get unstable, yet, I gotta learn to do this. RIGHT?

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SOLID ADVICE. THanx-LILA.

A bit after I graduated AFF I decided to experiment with going wildly unstable. I ended up on my back in a completely out of control spin and I definately had fear biting me in the gut because I had never felt that kind of loss of control before. But during AFF I had done forward and back loops so I knew how to flip off my back and onto my belly. I had also been taught how to start and stop a turn during AFF, so once I had flipped over(took me two or three tries) I was also able to stop my spin and resume a normal stable freefall position.

My point being, your student training should teach you these things so when you're off on your own you will have the skills to resume a stable body position when you need to. Talk this stuff over with your instructors and don't be afraid to have them slow you down if things are going to fast for you.

yeah but dont be going putting yourself in uncontrolable spins yet, as this guy took three or four turns to get stable, if your cypres deploys while you are in a spin like this, it my be time to say bye bye. Learn from your instructor, not us on the net. get a license and then ask these questions on the net. While you are a student got to your master for answers to questions. He is there to teach you help you and show you how to survive. You are paying him to answer your questions, dont be afraid!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

yeah but dont be going putting yourself in uncontrolable spins yet, as this guy took three or four turns to get stable, if your cypres deploys while you are in a spin like this, it my be time to say bye bye. Learn from your instructor, not us on the net. get a license and then ask these questions on the net. While you are a student got to your master for answers to questions. He is there to teach you help you and show you how to survive. You are paying him to answer your questions, dont be afraid!

I definately didn't mean to imply that any student should do what I did, only that by the time you graduate you should have the basic skills needed to recover from an unstable position.

When an instructor is teaching you how to turn, he's also teaching you how to stop turning when you don't want to. When he's teaching you how to do loops, he's also teaching you how to loop back onto your belly. So listen to them and ask questions.

Yeah, know how you feel. I had a hard time forcing myself to get unstable. When I was going for my B license since I didn't have enough RW jumps I decided to do the other requirement which was flips, barrel rolls and stuff. It took me like 3 times to finally do it. I'd exit intending to do the stuff and then end up just bellyflying. I finally did it and it was easy. I'm the kind of person who has to think about everything, but I've found that getting stable I don't have to think about, it just comes naturally. So definately listen to your instructors, but don't worry so much about getting stable, you'll just do it.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I did a Belly (me) freefly jump (5 guys freeflying) on sunday.

just relax and enjoy and be safe. ;)

Jumps: 37

Is that Info correct? BE safe...:S

Yep, that arching stuff really works.:)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

BUT the UNKNOWN is SCARY for me! I want to be able to be good at what I do, and know what to expect.

Perris starts their L6 AFF with you grabbing your knees at the door and getting shoved out by the instructor. (video at my site jor.com) You tumble on two axis. You then count to 5 (which for me was more like 4 seconds) and arch to recover. It was nearly instant for me and after that I didn't worry nearly so much about screwing up and losing a clean belly position. That fear was keeping me stiff and potato chipping a bit.

The next jump was the first exit without an instructor attached and I screwed it up badly, thrashing my legs just when I was close to stable. But the experience right before told me I would get it under control quickly enough. In general things have gone pretty smoothly since then for the freefall stuff. A few setbacks here and there, but nothing that made me afraid to be out there.

Going unstable for the first time is a leap of courage. You won't believe in the arch until you've personally tested it.

First, as others have said, understand that if you do a good arch, you will be stable, belly-to-earth. A big part of that is being relaxed.

You definitely want to work on that skill because you never know when you'll need it. There will be many times that you get bumped on exit, catch the wind wrong, etc.

Once you do it once or twice, you'll wonder why you thought it was so difficult.

Good luck!
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

For me, the jump you are getting ready to do is the jump that helped me relax to a more managable level. It was just a few weeks ago for me too. On this jump, you will learn that this all works. The methods that are taught are tried and true. I had to work up a little "nerve" to bring my legs in. When I did, I pulled out of it too quickly and was on my back. I simply tucked an elbow, rolled over back to my belly. It worked!! It also made me feel VERY good that the second I got back on my belly, my instructor was right there in my face giving me a big thumbs up for getting back over by myself, but he was right there if I needed him. Just listen to your instructor, do what he says, take a deep breath and exhale right before you do it.........it'll be great!

dude...the instability jump was BY FAR my favorite jump!!! Granted just thinking about freeflying gets me all giddy but this jump is fun. I just did mine a few weeks ago, just arch and before you know it you'll be belly to earth again. Have fun!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A life without a cause
is a life without an effect

I did a Belly (me) freefly jump (5 guys freeflying) on sunday.

just relax and enjoy and be safe. ;)

Jumps: 37

Is that Info correct? BE safe...:S

Yep, that arching stuff really works.:)

He can probally fall as fast on his belly as they can fall slow in a sit/HD

...if you know his story
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I have a good arch. It's really natural feeling, actually. I seem to have some sense of how to move in the air, too...

...My first jump this year was a tandem, to get the freefall feeling again, and to refresh since it's been 2 years since I was in training. My TM told me before the jump, since I'd gone AFP before that we were gonna do some 360 turns in freefall. I said cool!

AFterwards in the hangar he was really psyched explaining it to the DZO, I was counter steering with my legs at the end of each turn to stop the rotation. (It's kind of like you do in a current of water, ya know?) He said, she's got (some) natural ability!

BUT I LIKE TO KEEP THINGS BALANCED. My concern is allowing myself to purposely become unstable to learn to correct it.

Love all your in-put! Please keep it coming. It's giving me lots to talk to my trainer/coaches about!

;) Lila.

Late in the Canadian PFF program, we tell students to do a "ride the slide" exit.
They crouch on the step, facing the tail of the airplane with their arms pointed straight out to the sides. They exit in a sit-fly position. Most of them only hold a stable sit for a couple of seconds, then flail on to their bellys, check altimeter, etc.

It is great fun to watch - as an instructor - and helps build confidence that no matter how bad they flail the exit, an strong arch will quickly flip them onto their bellys.

I did two of these dives this week. One student only sat for a couple of seconds, while the second student held his sit for the full five seconds.
The only problem is that one student ENJOYED sit-flying and we are afraid we will lose him ot the "dark side." The dark side is populated by unstable, scary-canopy-flying, baggy-pant, weird hair, dope-smoking, free-fliers who listen to music that just sets your teeth on edge .....
You know, the exact same criticisms that were leveled at bellytive workers 30 years ago.
Hah!
Hah!
Hah!

Ha- You're funny,dude...

That is about right though. Had great break thrus in my training this weekend. Did 2 more static jumps- and I was NOT AFRAID. Really excited pre-exit- but not afraid. Really surprised me, actually. I talked of it to experienced jumper friends later and they just smiled... I'm getting there I think.

I also talked to trainers concerning my worries about getting unstable. And everybody says just about the same thing. Just gotta do it to learn it I guess.

IT'LL ALWAYS BE SOMETHING that'll need to be worked on won't it????