scaryshari

Society and Skydiving Related Injuries

ya know that's funnny. My inside voice wants to be a real smartass and say "no, if you had a wreck would you keep driving?" But, its an apples and oranges thing. Afterall, after I fib'd and broke my ankle on a pogo stick, I never have tried, or wanted to do it again. no more extreme pogo sticking..ever.

Pogo sticking is like mini-base jumping....wont do it..ever. I'd break myself, again.:P

is

I didn't cover up the fact that when I broke my ankle, it was from skydiving. Nobody treated me really badly although there was some feeling of, "well what do you expect."

But then it actually kind of impressed people when I followed it up by saying that "it was my first real injury after 950 jumps." It made skydiving actually sound good, for those who had imagined that such an injury would be pretty common, even for those making just one jump.

:S Usually I ask the Whuffos, what do they actually and tehnically know about skydiving, the invariable is "nothing" then it´s good to point out (in a sarcastic way) the dangers of ignorance and assumption.......that´s if I bother to answer at all.

quick healing!B|
When I go, I want to pass away in my sleep, just like my dear old Grandmother, NOT screaming like the passengers in the car she was driving.

In the hospital i'd sometimes reply: "I did this skydiving, but it was my fault...doing something stupid - so, don't let it scare you away if you are interested in trying it out."

But then there were some nurses that came very close to saying "doing something crazy like that - you had it coming" The morphine drip saved a lot of lives as I still had a healthy leg to kick with..:P

is

my asshole roommate told me that he would laugh if I died skydiving...I had to leave the house to keep from beating his ass when he DID laugh when a friend of mine was seriously injured on a jump >:(
come to think about it, I might still beat his ass for that one if he fucks with me again >:(>:(

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I was always honest in the hospital. One nurse was very interested and seemed almost convinced to go do a tandem jump at least.

No no no, you've got it all wrong. In hospital you're supposed to try and jump the nurses, not get the nurses to jump:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

> Have any of you been hurt in the sport and certain whuffo folks treat
>you like total dog shit as if you asked for it?

I know skydivers who have been injured and had other _skydivers_ treat them as if they asked for it. It's not unique to whuffos.

I've been injured in just about every sport I've done (I'm up to 21 stitches, and only 1 of those is from skydiving), so my friends weren't too suprised when I got injured skydiving. I just showed them the photo of my face covered in blood.

i had the same problem, everyone seemed to find it hilarious that i broke myself skydiving on the other side of the world and felt the need to call to mock me when i was in hospital still...

i do understand the hilarity of the situation to be fair, but it's not all that helpful having people laugh at you when you're in traction B|

i tell people i did it skydiving but always make sure i point out that it was entirely my fault and then having to explain that surprisingly enough the parachute did open ;)

Well I'm currently laid up after breaking my ankle on landing 4 weeks ago I was one of three skydivers in the hospital that afternoon so didnt get much sympathy especially as I had the most minor injury.

I have been telling people how it happened (or atleast as much as I know as there was no pain at all I simply couldn't run off the landing from the diagnosis of the xray it looks like I just landed on an uneven bit of ground that caused a twist) for some people (especially wuffos at the DZ as I'm helping with manifest) I have to back up and say its the kind of injury I could have done anywhere at anytime.

The most common question i have is 'was it your first jump' when I say 'No it was 140' I get the 'WOW your a professional then and this is the only injury you've had WOW!' :D

I had to tell work how I did it due to family and friends and fellow jumpers working for the company it wasnt going to be easy to keep it a secret and despite only startibg a newly promoted role 2 days before they have been superb and just said to enjoy my six weeks off

when i broke myself my boss asked me if i was 'done' jumping..

I asked him if he sold his horses when one stepped on and broke his foot.

2 years later you wouldnt know i'd ever femured, (if i didnt have an x ray in my office) he's had 5 surgeries in the 3 years since his incident and he still walks with a 'hitch'.

labelling another's activities 'crazy' helps some people justify their own uncontrolled fears...

While playing softball in high school I broke my left ankle during an outfield collision.

Several years later I broke my right ankle on my first jump. (Static-line T-10, brain fart on the PLF.)

The same doctor treated me both times. When he said I shouldn't be jumping out of airplanes, I asked "Why didn't you tell me to give up baseball?"

Cheers,
Jon S.

Around Jump #35, I had a bad landing (wore shorts and t-shirt, downwinder and tumbled a few times). I partially tore my right rotator, sprained an ankle, got a few cuts/bruises and just overall felt sore/like crap the next few days. This was on a Sunday.

The next day at work, while continuing to feel like crap, I decided to go to Kaiser and told my complete Ice Queen boss (what I got the injuries from and where I was going). Absolutely no sympathy whatsoever - as if she couldn't care less. >:(

I ended up with a black eye and some NASTY bruises on my arm after one "mishap". I had a customer (attorney) quietly pull me aside, ask if I was battered and offer some assistance if I was. I was actually kind of touched by it, because he was so concerned. When I told him I did it skydiving, he was relieved.

But here's the funny thing about injuries in general, especially if you are female. If you're on crutches, even a complete stranger will feel free to ask about it and comment on your answer. (skiing, motorcycling, skydiving is all "fair game" to them- "gee, that's CRAZY! I'll bet you never do THAT again!") When its bruises or a black eye, most people just look away. They assume the worst and don't really want to know.

B|i broke my back skydiving four years ago and have since returned to the sport as a paraplegic.
i also get the old how'd it happenand and inevitable bet you wish you had not done that. also people always ask me how(if i broke my back) could i return to the sport. most wuffo's think i'm out of my mind! yesireee i.m mad as a flying squirrel!!!!!
all that is gold does not glitter
not all those who wander
are lost!