Skyliber

Hand signs...

Heres an interesting question for a newbie to wonder...

So, someone gives you the hand sign to pull your ripcord at like 8000 feet or something, and so you do. When you get back down to earth, you go question the guy/girl and they were just have a joke with you. What would you do? Is this a violation in skydiving 'moral code' to joke around with someone like that, or does it actually violate a USPA code?

Thanks for the input!

-=+ Skyliber, Disynthegrate, & Nucleaire +=-

No shit? Your JM was joking and had you deploy? I find that hard to believe.... my instructors/ JM's were top notch, safety first men and women, the joking was on the ground not in the air as far as student jumps were concerned..... are you sure???

******Today is one day too late.********

NO NO NO. This is just a question. It never happened to me. I was just curious, what if it ever did happen to someone.

The JM or instructor I have, wouldn't dare do something like that.

** additional to original reply ** I am just curious if people do that and if so? I'm new to the sport, so I want to find out a lot of stuff. I'm like a sponge looking for information.

well normally once your off student status the hand signals shoud go out the door (if you need them you should be back on student status) if they give you the signal there is a reason for it. once your off student status you'll find that besides the occasional froot loop or rodio you should have to worry about your friends "joking" with you. Your premature deployment as a joke could lead to someone else going through your deploying canopy leading to injury or possibly even death (god I sound like a waiver) so just relax and enjoy you'll have much more fun and your instructors are the best resource for info concerning jumping (lord only knows what someone with no jumps what-so-ever could tell you on these forums;))
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

It's really rare for one skydiver to tell another to pull. Something bad would have to be happening, like someone's main container opening in freefall. Not sure most people would respond to a pull signal ("what the heck are you pointing at?? I don't see anything over there!"), but if they did, they'd sure have the right to kick the guy in the nuts really hard who did it as a joke. And so would everybody in the next group out of the plane...

Dave

Even if a jumpless expert piped in their expert opinions, I wouldn't write it in stone. Just as a comment someone made on a dropzone forum.

Plus, I'm in no mood or hurry to cause accidents or injurie s or be part of one just myself. But, I know there are some crazy people in this world, so reading about people stories can help in a way.

Thanks.

Heres an interesting question for a newbie to wonder...

So, someone gives you the hand sign to pull your ripcord at like 8000 feet or something, and so you do. When you get back down to earth, you go question the guy/girl and they were just have a joke with you. What would you do? Is this a violation in skydiving 'moral code' to joke around with someone like that, or does it actually violate a USPA code?

Thanks for the input!

If 'someone' on my jump, friend or not, gives me the pull sign around 8k for joking, he owes me an apology and a ticket. If he apologizes and pays my ticket, then he owes me a beer. If he doesnt apologizes and dont pay the ticket, then he owes me blood. Or I can pull his reserve on the ground before his next load and we are even. Same thing for 'pushing out the door' joke.
yeah
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

If 'someone' on my jump, friend or not, gives me the pull sign around 8k for joking, he owes me an apology and a ticket. If he apologizes and pays my ticket, then he owes me a beer. If he doesnt apologizes and dont pay the ticket, then he owes me blood. Or I can pull his reserve on the ground before his next load and we are even. Same thing for 'pushing out the door' joke.
yeah

I can think of funny instances for pushing out the door, but there's never cause for an early pull signal as a joke - it's added danger for everyone. But we might be worrying about a non existent problem here. Has anyone experienced such an event?

It's a signal I'd take seriously. It's akin to the thumbs up sign underwater. That signal does NOT say "what do you think about going to the surface now? It says- "we're going to the surface now. I'll explain when we can talk, and if you don't like it, you can choose a different dive team next time"

and if you continued to read the rest of my statement

if they give you the signal there is a reason for it.

but you were just to much in a hurry to correct the newb. you forgot to read that part huh. next time you want to correct someone make sure you know what in the hell they said first.

Edited for spelling and to add: Sorry for the blast but the 23 years in my profile may not be the years that I've been jumping but it is the amount of years that I have lived with this sport.
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

But, I was more curious if people joke around about them sometimes.

Ever heard the fable "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"? That's what would happen if folks started joking around with it...

My favourite hand-signal story: In Australia, the pull signal for AFF is a clenched fist. Our fearless JM had lost the thumb on his right hand in an accident. During an AFF jump the student was doing really well, so at about 8k this JM gave the student the thumbs up. Student dumps.

Whoops :$.

Remember, there may be a very good reason someone gave you the pull sign

Aint that the truth. back in the days when I was new to camera I gathered together a couple of rigs so I could do the back-to-back thing.

Out of a C182 I was doing the 'hang form the strutt' with one foot on the step exit. Great shot of the TM/pax and Pilot as they climb out.

One load I am climbing out and as I turn my head back inwards to get the climb out the Pilot is looking at me with a look of horror and waving to "GO!". Luckily I didn't question it and just went. I had about half a second to wonder why they said Go when i found a canopy above my head. :o

We thikn that what happened was the student dislodged my pin with their foot as we manouvered for climb-out. I had a horse-shoe on the step and the bag was nearing the tail of the plain. The P/C was still in the BOC and luckily cleared only after I exited. If it had come out sooner it would have gone of the tail and if it hadn't come out I would have had an even bigger horror show to deal with.

So when someone gives you a signal i suggest you follow the instruction and if it was them bing stupid in the air you can always have your fun with them back on the ground.

You'll have lots of time to think of a good revenge on along canopy ride down [:/]
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

But, I was more curious if people joke around about them sometimes.

I would think not. I've never known of anyone doing this.

I'm curious, why would someone list "British Airways" under interests in their profile? What kind of interest is that? :)
__

My mighty steed

If an instructor or coach gives you a "pull" signal, pull immediately and ask questions later.
For example: there might be an airliner flying underneath you.

Otherwise, skydivers rarely joke about stuff that serious. For example: if you deploy too high over Pitt Meadows, you might create a risk of collision with airliners. Then the DZO will definitely "have words" with the amateur comedian.

When I fly, I think the only way to fly is with Bristish Airways. I think their customer service and attendants are top notch and everything is just so pleasant. I use them whether I fly to England, Poland, or anywhere else in Europe or that side of the world.

Plus, I was(am) studying to be a pilot and I would love work for them!

It's funny you noticed it. What kind of instrument do you play?

It's funny you noticed it. What kind of instrument do you play?

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards. Guitars primarily. I play the others for the purpose of recording only well enough to avoid having to pay other musicians to come into the studio :)
__

My mighty steed

All skydivers should remember all hand signals...throughout their career....PERIOD. Last season a experienced TI had a d-bag out in freefall wraping around the drouge,,,heads up videographer gave pull sign....the video showed a good example of knowing the sign, accompanied by an immediate reaction, as well as knowing it should only be used in an emergency.....

well normally once your off student status the hand signals should go out the door (if you need them you should be back on student status) if they give you the signal there is a reason for it. once your off student status you'll find that besides the occasional froot loop or rodio you should have to worry about your friends "joking" with you. Your premature deployment as a joke could lead to someone else going through your deploying canopy leading to injury or possibly even death (god I sound like a waiver) so just relax and enjoy you'll have much more fun and your instructors are the best resource for info concerning jumping (lord only knows what someone with no jumps what-so-ever could tell you on these forums;))

I find that really intriguing as I have been given signals since Ive been off student status. Matter of fact was given a legs out signal just the other day Didn't really need to have the signal but knew what it was and did it. I would rather someone throw me a signal and straighten me out in the air then tell me on the ground when its to late to fix the problem. I'm still new and learning, but I don't need to be back on student status.......

I know ill go to heaven because ive spent my time in Hell.

All skydivers should remember all hand signals...throughout their career....PERIOD. Last season a experienced TI had a d-bag out in freefall wraping around the drouge,,,heads up videographer gave pull sign....the video showed a good example of knowing the sign, accompanied by an immediate reaction, as well as knowing it should only be used in an emergency.....

believe me, i will remember the hand signs until the day i die. the original question was just asking whether people joke around up there and give you a pull sign leaving you like 10,000 to glide down with. that's all. :)