Zaphod_BB

Mission possible?

Hello!
Contrary to most of you here I am not an expert at all! I have a question to the expert though. Maybe someone out here can enlighten me...

Would the following scenario be possible?
Guy # 1 jumps out of the plane.
His parachute fails to open.
Guy # 2 still in plane can see this and jumps with own parachute, gets to guy #1, catches him and both land together?

Thanks in advance! Z.

Not even a well planned stunt unless the first guy tried to open right out of the plane above 10k. If the first guy is still in the plane he ain't going to SEE the first guy pitching let alone see if the parachute opened.. and even if he did see it physically impossible for him to get out of the plane and get ot him before he is a meat waffle..

So no your scenario is impossible. Could there be a scenario that "might" be possible yes. I know of someone that claims to have done several terminal mister bills and since the crazy fucker landed one I believe him when he says that he has successfuly done more then one at terminal..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Not even a well planned stunt unless the first guy tried to open right out of the plane above 10k. If the first guy is still in the plane he ain't going to SEE the first guy pitching let alone see if the parachute opened.. and even if he did see it physically impossible for him to get out of the plane and get ot him before he is a meat waffle..

I was pre-empting people who might say 'But what about a full alti H+P' etc. And also given that the OP obviously knows nothing about everyday skydiving operations that may have been the scenario he was invisaging.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Thanks for your replies so far.
Unfortunately I don't have many details on this jump. If I remember correctly guy #2 told me he was still on the plane when he saw guy #1 having problems. However, I might be mistaken about this.

If the story is true it has happened in a special ops unit and guy #2 was the trainer.

Anyway. Since I don't have any details or certain information I suppose the quintessence is: Maybe I havent been told a fib - or maybe I have... ;)
Thanks for your willingness to reply to a Dummy, though! :)

If the story is true it has happened in a special ops unit and guy #2 was the trainer.

No, you're confusing it with a really bad skydiving scene in a really bad movie called Dropzone. It does not happen, people don't dive after those with malfunctions.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No, you're confusing it with a really bad skydiving scene in a really bad movie called Dropzone. It does not happen, people don't dive after those with malfunctions.

What are you talking about, man? I've managed to replicate all those scenes from that moview! I just watched it again this weekend to confirm it! :P:P

(Anyone remember if there are even less realistic scenes in other movies besides the 10 minute freefall in Point Break?)

(Anyone remember if there are even less realistic scenes in other movies besides the 10 minute freefall in Point Break?)

The BASE jumping scene in Charlie's Angels 2 is petty funny. If I remember right they jump after a helicopter, climb in, start the engines and fly away, all from the top of a dam:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

some people "climb down" static lines sometimes to help a malfunctioned person.

I saw some really good video along those lines. That's a different animal though. I have never ever even heard about someone diving in freefall after someone with a main canopy malfunction. I've heard some heroing stories about tandems and video guys, though.

... maybe the guy who told me so was uhm kind of confused :D

The guy who told you this was the rescuer, right ?? Well, my opinion is that that guy was full of shit, and never expected you to ask anyone who could tell you differently.

Kevin

would a terminal mr bill be possible unplanned? as in grab onto someone in freefall (unconcious maybe) and dump and be able to hang onto them? would the main have to be packed to be a slow opener to reduce the opening shock due to the extra weight suspended beneath it? i was wondering more about opening shock and wing-loading than the plausibility of the situation

Thanks for your replies so far.
Unfortunately I don't have many details on this jump. If I remember correctly guy #2 told me he was still on the plane when he saw guy #1 having problems. However, I might be mistaken about this.

somehow I get the feeling we were in a bar when this tale was told.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With some chicks sitting at the table?

And LOTS of beer.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

>Guy # 1 jumps out of the plane.
>His parachute fails to open.
>Guy # 2 still in plane can see this and jumps with own parachute,
>gets to guy #1, catches him and both land together?

It's been done as a pre-planned stunt, with jumper #1 using no parachute - just a harness that a parachute can be clipped onto. Never been done 'for real' TMK.

In Reply To

With some chicks sitting at the table?

And LOTS of beer.:)

lots of empties, you mean.

Question is – Are you incredibly and unbelievably COOL enough to be called Zaphod?

I mean ten out of ten for style but minus several million if you aren’t…

You're So Unhip It's A Wonder Your Bum Doesn't Fall Off:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Maybe this is what the OP is talking about (from 2005)?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1811554;search_string=russian%20and%20military;#1811554

Russian paratrooper saves falling friend

Moscow - A Russian paratrooper will be decorated for valour after he caught hold of a comrade whose chute failed to open and steered him to the ground by his straps, the military said on Monday.

The incident happened when the soldiers became entangled in their parachute lines while jumping from a plane during joint exercises with Chinese forces that ended last last week.

One managed to deploy his emergency parachute and held on to the other until they touched down.

"Both guys showed the best qualities of Russian airborne troops - skill, native wit and courage," said the deputy commander of the Russian ground forces, Colonel-General Vladimir Moltenskoi.

Actually there are couple of incidents that resemble the poster's description. One was Greg Robertson in the late 80's who deployed a girl after she was knocked unconscious in freefall. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3D81339F937A15757C0A961948260
Andy Peckett was named Skydiving Magazine's Skydiver of the year in 1993 for a similar incident.
Not sure of the date but think late 70's, early 80's, a British Instructor, Chris L. was working overseas and one of his students was knocked unconscious on an exit so he dived after and successfully deployed the student's canopy.

Foggy
D21109

Actually there are couple of incidents that resemble the poster's description.

I had heard of Robertson's situation before, didn't know about the other two. I still don't view that as being related to the original story. The original story talks about a main malfunction or possibly a reserve malfunction and going down to save a buddy. Not doing a extreme AFF-I type of student deployment. Atleast that was my take on it as per the original post.

Pretty badass for these other folks, though. :)