kkeenan

Packer Supervision

It strikes me as if it was an annogant rich person stating, "Ewww, I don't get on my hands and knees to put that in that bag, here's $5 take care of it for me and chop chop!"

So basically you are jealous that there are people in the world with more money than you and you hate on them for it...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Why have the ball returners and pin setters at the bowling alley? Why not just wa lk to the end of the alley and set up the pins and walk with your ball back to the beginning? Convenience. It's like having a maid clean your house because you have enough moeny to and you think you have better ways to employ your time. Like going to a restaurant and paying someone else to go out and source a supplier for your food and then cook it for you and serve it to you. Are you not still eating? Convenience. Packing sucks. I was a packer, I put in a couple thousand pack jobs to get me a few hundred jumps and then I quit packing because I hate doing it. Lazy, no but it's not exactly fun. I was waking up on a Saturday morning and hoping it would rain so I wouldn't have to pack anything. Or I would opt out of getting on a load sometimes because I just packed 10 tandems and I didn't feel like packing my own parachute after. Maybe some people call it lazy, but you wouldn't have called me lazy on some day I had to pack 30-40 tandems + sport rigs. I put in my time. I will now pay a packer every once in a while just because I hate packing.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

And if you think my choice to downsize quickly is stupid, I accept that, call me stupid, I don't care.

Now who is not reading what is posted. I did not call you stupid. I said I feel people that downsize to quickly are stupid. If you feel you are in that group maybe you should reconsider your choices.

It's the people that get their gear packed 100% of the time. That is all I'm referring to in all of this.

Dan BC, Kate Cooper, Roger Ponce de Leon, Tony Domenico and Larry Henderson all use packers 100% of the time.

Your best strategy at this point is to admit you probably don’t what you are talking about and bail. You have no more room to keep backing up.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Chris, the reason you have gotten such a negative response to your posts is that nobody here will respect your opinion with your short time in the sport and 37 jumps. When you have got 2000 packs under your belt then you can make statements like you have made here and folks will respect the fact that your perspective comes from experience and not the ignorant position of a beginner know-it-all.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I'm going to take a step here and call it quits. We can go back and forth for the next few years, on who said what and how it is being interpreted. The last 15 or so posts are of someone making a comment, someone picking through what was said to find dirt on the poster. I am no longer going to put any of my opinions on these forums. I think these forums are great and alot of info can be gained from them.

If you guys think I'm doing this to back out, think as you will, it doesn't bother me. Like I said previously, Ill continue by PM if you wish. I use these forums because they give me alot of advice and different opinions that I can use to make myself safer. I just think everyone seems a bit jumpy to pounce on the newbies or anyone really. This thread aside(I expected flak for this one) I have another thread about my canopy choice, Spectre 135. I got alot of good advice from there, but I found that very quickly people pounced on it. In one respect i appreciate that as they are trying to keep me safe, but on the opposite end, some of them were being calm about it and telling me it was unsafe and I should use extreme caution, or consider upsizing. I respect those people who are calm and logical about it. I don't think comments like "no-one under 100 jumps should be jumping a 135" are really fully justified. I'm not saying it's unfair for me, but i'm sure there are some girls that I bet don't weight more than 85-90 lbs. Anyways, I'm just going to shutup before I say too much and someone grabs something from this post to get pissed about.

Thanks everyone!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I'm going to take a step here and call it quits. We can go back and forth for the next few years, on who said what and how it is being interpreted. The last 15 or so posts are of someone making a comment, someone picking through what was said to find dirt on the poster. I am no longer going to put any of my opinions on these forums. I think these forums are great and alot of info can be gained from them.

If you guys think I'm doing this to back out, think as you will, it doesn't bother me. Like I said previously, Ill continue by PM if you wish. I use these forums because they give me alot of advice and different opinions that I can use to make myself safer. I just think everyone seems a bit jumpy to pounce on the newbies or anyone really. This thread aside(I expected flak for this one) I have another thread about my canopy choice, Spectre 135. I got alot of good advice from there, but I found that very quickly people pounced on it. In one respect i appreciate that as they are trying to keep me safe, but on the opposite end, some of them were being calm about it and telling me it was unsafe and I should use extreme caution, or consider upsizing. I respect those people who are calm and logical about it. I don't think comments like "no-one under 100 jumps should be jumping a 135" are really fully justified. I'm not saying it's unfair for me, but i'm sure there are some girls that I bet don't weight more than 85-90 lbs. Anyways, I'm just going to shutup before I say too much and someone grabs something from this post to get pissed about.

Thanks everyone!

A wise move on your part. Remember this is recreation. Have fun and stay safe. It is not a race.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Here is my take on packers, and yes, I do pack mains for cash as well: I know and appreciate the fact that packers perform a valuable service in the sport.

This is what I don't like. People that learn to pack, just to get their A license, and then pay a packer from then on. If they don't have any REAL knowledge on how to pack, what happens when a day comes when there are no packers. Or a packer packs a bad opening or something that just doesn't feel right. Is that jumper going to know what was done incorrectly, and are they going to know what suggestions to make to correct the problem? More than likely not. They are at the mercy of the packer's knowledge and abilities.

So just because you use a packer, which I also do on occasion, does not necessarily mean that you are lazy. If you don't know how to pack, or it's been so long since you have that you have forgotten, then you are lazy.

Tubing, so easy a caveman can do it.

I have 4000+ jumps, packed for myself the vast majority of em, but also pack for others on a regular basis. For most people - put in 50-100 jumps packing for yourself, and it becomes quite easy. 95% of rigs out there are easy for me to pack. I understand rookies stuggling with new zero-p, but when I see someone with a thousand jumps who can barely pack, it worries me..

I seem to help someone hook up gear - to risers or 3-rings or whatever - every weekend. I respect the ones who sit there with me and learn and actively want to learn to do it themselves. Quite a few are happy to watch from a distance and don't care. I can name people with 1000+ jumps who don't feel comfortable hooking up their own parachute - that worries me. You need to know how your gear works. Packing - I've caught quite a few minor things that people who don't pack for themselves might never notice. Its dangerous to rely on other people. My personal favorite are those folks who stow their own brakes, but they have so many twists in the brake lines that I unstow them and untwist them before I'll pack it..

I have no problem with people using packers - I hate the fact that a lot of people who do don't understand their gear and how it works. Basic stuff like untwisting brake lines comes as new knowledge to people who have enough jumps that they should know better.. EVERYONE - whether they use packers or not - should be inspecting their gear regularly. Its easier if you pack for yourself because you'll notice if something changes. If you never pack for yourself, I wouldn't go more than a week or two without inspecting my gear well because if you're not looking at it, you won't notice...

Packing sucks. I mean, really. I really don't enjoy packing at all. When I am doing video jumps, I don't pack for myself if there is someone who will pack for me. It's more work, when I am already working. Before I started shooting video I packed for myself all the time, I couldn't afford to pay the $5 a jump and I had more time.

When you are making 3-4 jumps friday, 10+ each saturday and sunday, and 6 on monday (which I have to pack for myself, which I can do in 7 minutes) it gets tiring to pack for yourself all the time. It's more work than I want to deal with. I have done 10 in a day packing for myself and passed the fuck out at sunset. I like to be able to stay up and hang out with my friends, not fall asleep in a corner cause I am exhausted.

As to your earlier comment, if you don't think the jumping part of skydiving is a lot of work you aren't trying hard enough. If I am doing 4 way, tracking dives, some freefly, CRW, or really anything where I am concentrating hard and doing the best I can, its a lot of work. I have deployed after a 4-way and felt as if I was sweating from running a marathon. With the stuff you are doing it might not be that much work, but don't assume that all skydiving is that way. You really couldn't have a clue with as few jumps as you have.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I know how to pack. Have done it for most of my jumps. When I'm on vacation, I pay for a packer. It is vacation after all and all about pampering oneself. And if I could afford it, I'd pay for a packer every single time. I hate packing.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.