Royd

2,000' hop n pop

The mock emergency exit thing is kind of a good idea, but maybe they could annouce it before take off so no one gets hits later. Pilot could tell everyone that they are going to do an emergency exit but don't tell any of the jumpers what altitude they will be getting out at...could be 2000', could be 5000', could be 10000'. Would keep everyone on their toes for that jump.

you remove most of the gain by preannouncing. Everyone will be geared up fully, ready to go from the minute it takes off. Hell, you might get some trying the option of riding the plane down.

Officially it's 3.5 on the A card, but I've heard from a lot of people who never had to do them lower than 5K or higher.

Yeah, I know what you mean. No Shit, back in the day... :P Graduation jump used to be a clear-n-pull from 3.5K. The TLO being to leave stable and get something coming off of your back within 5sec of exit... it wasn't a race mind you, not a pull-n-clear, although we'd see them from time to time... :S... just get off the plane, arch-thousand, reach-thousand, pull-thousand. The students that had come up through the Static Line progression, went to increasingly longer delays and then back to 3.5K for a clear-n-pull did fine with it. The students that came up via AFF, i.e. went to 12.5 all their jumps and then came down to 3.5 for a clear-n-pull and a marked higher "pucker factor"... ;).

Oh, at it was no-kiddin' a clear-n-pull from 3.5... now-a-days if you see it done, things are more "wussified" where they get more like 4 or 5K... [:/]

Ah, the good ol' days.

I've been on loads within the last couple of three years where we've had to get out low, between 4 & 5 due to clouds and the "youngin's" on the airplane have looked as us ol' "grey hairs" in disbelief when we re-dirt-dived on the plane and drug a 3 or 4 way out between 4 and 5K, snapped a couple of points and tracked... ;) ... gets the blood movin'

Everyone will be geared up fully, ready to go from the minute it takes off.

That's how I think people should try to be on every flight.

chest and leg straps, sure. goggles and helmets on...not going to happen. Once the plane gets up to seat belt off height, the helmets come off for comfort. Camera guys start fiddling with their gear, and people start to nap.

if you knew at any moment the pilot was going to do a drill, the environment will be very different.

>That's how I think people should try to be on every flight.

You don't need to be fully geared up as you would normally exit - just prepared to bail out if need be. Means that your gear has to be really on, but you may not need your legstraps as tight as they would be for exit. Or your helmet may be on, but your goggles off (you don't need em for a H+P.)

Yeah, I know what you mean. No Shit, back in the day... :P Graduation jump used to be a clear-n-pull from 3.5K.

Ah, the good ol' days.

actually thats how my training went last weekend, so it's not yet a dead art. I've heard that a lot of dropzones dont do static line anymore but mine does, and so far I think it's a good way to learn.
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

drug a 3 or 4 way out between 4 and 5K, snapped a couple of points and tracked... ;) ... gets the blood movin'

4way HD flower exit, track and pull are some of the MOST FUN dives i've done...

Yeap... Static line was an apprenticeship and worked really well.

I think that people who by-passed the Dope-on-a-rope phase have missed out... Everything, these days.. follows the Now...now...now meantality.. Shame.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The more and more I read threads like this on dz.com, the more and more I'm glad that went through s/l and didn't let anyone talk me into doing AFF.
And not all youngin' would look at you with crazy eyes for getting out at 4 or 5k and hitting a few points. I did just that last weekend. Clouds were low, went up thinking we were going to do hop n pops from 3k. We got 5.5k so decided to launch a four way, hit two or three points and track. Very fun.

Sometimes the type of aircraft makes a difference in perception for a hop and pop.

I'm usually a Cessna DZ person, with some Twin Otter DZ visits, and and have no problem going out low. But at one demo it felt weirdly low when looking out the door of a Twin Otter at "only" 3000'.

At that demo one jumper with thousands of jumps tumbled out the door unstable. The rest of us wondered what the heck happened. She had simply been in a Twin Otter mind set, started to dive out the door like diving for an RW formation, but part way through suddenly remembered she'd prefer doing a poised exit like most of us were planning. Net result was an amusing tumble before she went stable.

Butters, I think you need to talk with John, Kerry, Mark or Miles about your AAD statement and your hard deck of 2750 feet for some clarification.

I'm not sure about the student rules for STC but that's a very high reserve hard deck.

Please check it out and have a thorough conversation with those guys.

Sandy

I don't have a lot of jumps , but I was scared to death about doing the hop n pop from 3,000'
it wasn't bad at all though, just got to have a good exit and get stable. I did a canopy class with sally and martin @ z-hills, which was great. we jumped from 5,000, but on one jump, we could only get to 2,500. another girl and I declined to go at that low an alt. but according to the sim, we have to pull by 3,000 anyway for our experience level. they did reimburse our jump though, z-hills is great, I love that place!!!

One thing to remember on those low jumps - you have as much time until impact leaving the plane at 3000' as you do pulling a terminal at 4000', since it takes over 10 seconds to fall the first 1000 feet. I've got dozens of jumps from 2 grand and lower, no worries. In fact, it's really hard to lose track of time when you're starting out so low to begin with. :)

First two jumps - 2.5K. Static line. Z-hills 1977.
Jump 3 - 3K 5 sec delay.
Jump 4 - 3.5K 10 sec. delay.
and so forth.....

Only TWO static lines??:o

I started a year before you, and had to do the 'required' 5...:(

75.00 for the first one, 35.00 each for the next 4 and the 'pre second' free-fall was FREE!;)

and ALL 6 were from 2500 feet....B|

I got and extra 500 feet for #7....a 5 sec delay!:)

Now here is a weird statistic...( I use to keep good records)

I taught 1005 people a static line FJC...of those, 109 made at least one other jump.

I did 515 tandems, with 6 of THOSE doing a follow up...

Things that make ya go Hummm..;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~