Elisha

Tensile strength of a pull-up cord

It's usually binding tape so depending on the width from 400 for the 3/4" to 500 for the 1"

If this is anywhere near correct, than that is cool. All I know, is that I bet it is much stronger than my stupid yoga rope....which broke when I tried to hang upside down by it at home.

If the material is mil spec then that is the minimum break strength...so yeah it should work as a yoga rope!

Just don't use it as a dive loop on your riser. :S I know one rigger who did this and when it broke he dove HARD into the ground. Broke alot of bones (and pride) on -that- one. Was out healing the injuries for more than 6 months. B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Just don't use it as a dive loop on your riser. :S I know one rigger who did this and when it broke he dove HARD into the ground. Broke alot of bones (and pride) on -that- one. Was out healing the injuries for more than 6 months. B|

ltdiver

I'm sure glad to read this, I know someone who has pullup cord as their dive loops, and I thought it looked pretty cool (color contrasts), and had considered it for myself.

ltdiver

I'm sure glad to read this, I know someone who has pullup cord as their dive loops, and I thought it looked pretty cool (color contrasts), and had considered it for myself.

We were very sure it was a fatality when he hit, yet he lived. Pelvis, legs and back broke in several places.

If you think of it, the fibers run lengthwise and allow for stitching thread to pull through that direction when force is applied.

Please impress upon your friend to remove these and put the proper webbing in place for their dive loops. If they want more information I can get them this rigger's contact info and hear first hand about the tragedy. He wrote an article for Skydiving Magazine a few years ago, after he had healed up.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

At 400 # tensile strength, how did he break it?:S

When I build dive loops I use either 1" square weave (1000 LBS) or type 17 (2500 LBS). The latter is probably overkilled.

It'd be interesting to know if the failure you mentioned occured at the stitching or at the tape itself.

I had a similar episode where the dive loop broke. Fortunately it was on a BASE jump and those canopies are much more forgiving.

At any rate, the reason of the failure was the stitching. The loop was held in place by 4" of straight stitching only (E thread). That equates to about 215 LBS or about 1/4 of the strength of the material.

Remember that the stitching must be at least as strong as the material.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

If the material is mil spec then that is the minimum break strength...so yeah it should work as a yoga rope!

Well, to report back, I did succeed in hanging myself by my feet using to pullup cords tied together. I had to put my cooler on top of a chair to get myself in a position to put my feet in them though. Even after putting socks on though, the pullup cords cut into my feet enough that it was uncomfortable at best. Guess I might just have to get a real yoga hanging harness or whatever it is called.

Even after putting socks on though, the pullup cords cut into my feet enough that it was uncomfortable at best. Guess I might just have to get a real yoga hanging harness or whatever it is called.

You just need something wider that will distribute the load better. Check with a rigger or the DZ and see if you can get some old harness webbing. 2 in. width vs. 3/4 in. will make a big difference.

Kevin

Even after putting socks on though, the pullup cords cut into my feet enough that it was uncomfortable at best. Guess I might just have to get a real yoga hanging harness or whatever it is called.

You just need something wider that will distribute the load better. Check with a rigger or the DZ and see if you can get some old harness webbing. 2 in. width vs. 3/4 in. will make a big difference.

Kevin

Good idea. I wonder if some old leg pads would be available too? This $100 yoga thing has big eyehold screws to screw into the wall, straps, and pads to make hanging comfortable. I'd like to avoid putting big holes in my walls though (and spending 5 jump tix for something that lets me hang upside down comfortably).