MotherGoose

How to learn to pack chutes . . .

Skydiving is a Big Boy sport . We dont need other people doing more thinking for us. Each DZ is free to set thier own rules.

Im sure you are gonna hear about that from some sky-chick Anyhow, I agree with you that we don't need more regulation . . . just STANDARDIZATION !!! Let's get the world's top skydivers together at a big meet to discuss standardized methods for training, packing, equipment, etc. Is that getting people to think for you?? NO . . . its letting experience guide you down the right path.

What, what WHAT??!! Skydivers agreeing on the the best way to do something ??!!

My god, man! That's a sign of the apocalypse! Think of the kittens!

just STANDARDIZATION !!!

Which Method?? Flat, Pro, Psycho??

Why standardize?? Different things work for different people.

Packing is not rocket science. It is a pretty simple process. Lots of different way to do it that are correct.

Top skydivers very rarely pack for themselves.. If that is your plan.. Get the top Packers.. (They generally dont have much time to be Skydiving.. Too busy packing.);)

Knock on wood, but I have pretty good results thus far.

This is exactly my point !! Should new jumpers be taught to pack with enough confidence to have to "knock on wood" when they are done?? HELLO?? I want to be taught by EXPERIENCED people with many hundreds or thousands of packs so that I am not leaving anything to chance.

I was being sarcastic. [:/] I have good results because it is simple to do. If you can handle jumping out of a plane, you can handle packing without a whole college semester worth of instruction.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

You think I'm being overly optimistic?? I suppose it is a bit of a pipe-dream but it would be a nice thought. I see parachute packing a lottery right now. Basically, you wait for your number to come up (malfunction). Does that sound right to you ??
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

You think I'm being overly optimistic?? I suppose it is a bit of a pipe-dream but it would be a nice thought. I see parachute packing a lottery right now. Basically, you wait for your number to come up (malfunction). Does that sound right to you ??

Actually,

well,

Yes.

I'd like five quick-picks please. Baby needs a new para-chute!

It seems to me that there are a lot of new jumpers coming up and there just aren't enough instructors to go around to take these people under their wing for free and show them the ropes.

It seems to me like there are plenty of instructors, there just aren't many instructors who WANT to take people under their wing for free. It seems like the #1 incentive for becoming an instructor in this day is the money. At one dz I worked at, all training and advice came at a price. When I started telling the instructors I like to teach people how to pack and coach for free, some of them got very mad at me. I don't even do coach jumps anymore since DZs don't even allow me to do them for free. The "put back in" part of the sport is dead. :( And the USPA wonders why the number of people in this sport declines every year. [:/]

I'd like five quick-picks please. Baby needs a new para-chute!

That's funny . . . I realize I need to chill out here >:( ......... chilling.........:)
The second last thing this sport needs is more rules and reg's . . . the LAST THING we need, is more fatalities . . . pack with care people, you can't bank on your rigger everytime . . . they are human too.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

. the LAST THING we need, is more fatalities . . .

Correct me if I am wrong, but most people dying aren't pounding in because they trash packed. If they were, then maybe you would have a basis for your apparent packing paranoia. :D
=P

Let's get the world's top skydivers together at a big meet to discuss standardized methods for training, packing, equipment, etc.

Standardisation for packing methods? Why? Parachutes aren't all the same, what people want from an opening isn't always the same. The basics of packing are simple. Incredibly simple. Anyone who is a competent packer and a half decent teacher (I'd say there teaching ability is more important than their packing ability) can teach you the basics and show you their particular brand of trickery. Its up to you to find out what works for you and your parachute.

One example - our DZ's last chief rigger had signs put up all around the packing mats saying no-one was allowed to propack the clubs tandem rigs. The first thing our current chief rigger did was take those signs down and tell people it might be better if they propacked the tandems.

Do you know how to pack?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Isn't this one of the funnest threads we've had in a while? I feel like I'm actualy BS'ing around a campfire with a few beers.

We should do this more often. B|

We do.

See every thread that ultimately breaks down to a "back in the day ..." debate. Topics include (but are certainly not limited to):

...learning to pack
...coach jumps
...jumping without an AAD
...knowing how to spot
...DZs making money
...audible or not?
...injuries/fatalities under perfectly good canopies
...turning points from a 4K exit
...are tandems a Good Thing (TM) or not for the sport

:D:D:D

(And please, no panties in a wad about how I don't respect the pioneers of this sport ... anyone who knows me knows that I certainly do. Just pointing out that there are an awful lot of topics of discussion that seem to break down along "generational" lines.)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I see parachute packing a lottery right now. Basically, you wait for your number to come up (malfunction). Does that sound right to you ??

Now thats a bit naive.

No matter how meticulously you pack your main, you are throwing it out into a big chunk of chaotic, 120mph turbulence. The perfect packjob doesn't guarantee no malfunction.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You are correct . . . I apologize if I have over-stated the so-called problem. I'm new to the sport and still learning, and this topic is one that I have put a lot of thought into, but until now, I have not gotten much feedback from other jumpers, not to mention ones from other DZ's/countries. This is very enlightening for me.

And please, no panties in a wad about how I don't respect the pioneers of this sport ... anyone who knows me knows that I certainly do. Just pointing out that there are an awful lot of topics of discussion that seem to break down along "generational" lines.)

Are you calling me OLD missy??:P:D

Some see the sport Choking itself to death with rules and regulations.. The Coach Rating hurt our sport enough.. Now some one is suggesting a "Packer" rating?? No thanks.

Well, you are older than me. :P

Some see the sport Choking itself to death with rules and regulations.. The Coach Rating hurt our sport enough.. Now some one is suggesting a "Packer" rating?? No thanks.

I don't disagree with you there. I said nothing about ratings; I just don't have a problem paying for someone's time to teach me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Do you know how to pack?

Yes, I actually teach packing at my DZ . . . I hope that doesn't paint a BIASED view of me on this topic. I get paid to teach people to pack. It is a requirement at our DZ.

Date a skydiver and talk all her freinds and your new friend who happens to be a rigger, in to teaching you. Aswell as asking anyone who might know, including but not limited to Packers...they do it for money...
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

Do you know how to pack?

Yes, I actually teach packing at my DZ . . . I hope that doesn't paint a BIASED view of me on this topic. I get paid to teach people to pack. It is a requirement at our DZ.

What are your qual's to be able to teach packing??

I want to be taught by EXPERIENCED people with many hundreds or thousands of packs so that I am not leaving anything to chance.

Obviously experienced, with thousands of pack jobs, I would hope!!! :ph34r:
=P

Nothing formal . . . that's part of the issue that I was talking about. The sport allows a low-jumper like myself to teach packing. There are no rules stopping me from teaching it. I was checked out by the DZO and handed the job. Mostly because no one else wants it.

Packing was a part of my first jump course. We made our first jump on our own pack job. What better way to get to know your gear, than to lay it out, look at it, and pack it? Our first jump course is a week long from 6-9 pm and we dedicate 5 hours to packing.

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!