yarpos

strange/different jump aircraft?

Antonov AN-2. BIG Russian biplane with canvas wings and a wooden prop. Think Indiana Jones movie, complete with the smoke and 17 different sound effects during the engine start sequence - including one that sounded uncannily like the noise that the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive made when it was broken in The Empire Strikes Back!

Drives like a bus - ie. everything seemingly in slow motion including acceleration deceleration and bumps and a low drone of the engine the whole way, and when they back off the power on jump run, it feels like we've parked. Time to get out and make your own way back down.

According to Wikipedia it has no stall speed. Apparently there's one flying jumpers in eastern Canada, too. A friend of me showed me the website, can't remember exactly where it was, though.

An-2 is the most widespread aircraft in Russian province DZs. But it cannot reach more than about 7000 ft. Quite suitable for round parachutes but not very nice for square – freefall time – only 30 seconds.
An-28 is much more convenient: exit under tail, altitude about 13200 ft. We jump out of it in Kirzhach.
For me the most exiting was to jump out of Yak-12 in Pushchino having less than 20 jumps experience. Altitude about 5000 ft, 3 sits for jumpers. I had to climb out of it like out of a back sit of a small 2-door car. Funny. :ph34r: I tried as an alternative to a nice skydive aircraft SMG -92T "Turbo-Finist" we usually jumped out of in Pushchino.

Apparently there's one flying jumpers in eastern Canada, too. A friend of me showed me the website, can't remember exactly where it was, though.

West River Sky Sports. There's a pic of the AN-2 on the front page. B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I've jumped the AN-28, also, and yes - it is a very nice plane to jump from, but it doesn't seems closer to your typical large, turbine jump-ship. The AN-2 - especially the first time I went up in it, with all of it's attitude and character during startup and the ride to altitude, seemed to be the most appropriate fit to the "strange/different" description. ;)

An-2 is the most widespread aircraft in Russian province DZs. But it cannot reach more than about 7000 ft. Quite suitable for round parachutes but not very nice for square – freefall time – only 30 seconds...

An-2 maximum altitude is 4400m/14425ft ASL, never heard that this aircraft climbed over 4000m though...and very, very slo-o-owly:)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?