Kynan1

Does it every get old or routine?

I did 9 solos while waiting to get my A-card signed off... and officially off student-status. While I was still having a blast each time doing different stuff (stupid exits, inducing turns/flips until i couldn't hold them anymore, etc)... I was getting a little bored without anyone else to play with. :|

Now i'm picking up new skills and practicing them... but when I do get bored of doing solos I just go up for a hop&pop, play around for a few seconds then deploy and play around with the canopy.

Jumping with other people is most of what makes it all fun :)

Skydiving will never get old if you apply yourself. The "OMG I just jumped out of a plane!!!111" excitement of it will wear off after 50 jumps or so... after that, you get more interested in actually improving your skill. You can always get better, so in theory at least, you should never get bored. If you ever do get bored with one discipline, there are plenty of others to do also.

There are people who do get bored with the sport, but it's because all they were looking for is that rush. They typically quit after a few hundred jumps, and try to find some other XTREEEME sport to get their adrenaline going. Or they start BASE jumping and swooping. :P

Well, I only have 75 jumps so everything is all very new and exciting to me. But what I think is the best part is the fact that I learn something (or things) on every jump, and my skills improve as well. And wait 'til you start jumping with one or a few other people. That's when it gets really awesome!

I'm not a freeflyer, so solo jumps are plain boring to me.

Once you learn the basics, most solo freefall jumps are pretty boring regardless of whether they're belly or freefly. Unless I'm working on a particular skill, the only solos I like are hop & pops or the occasional cross-country (and even though that's a solo, there's gotta be tons of people in the air with me).

If it starts getting boring or routine, I'll quit. There's no point spending all this money if I'm not having fun. The good news is that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface, and I know that even if one thing gets boring there's always something new to learn. You can progress to incredibly high levels in one or two disciplines or you can build up a basic to intermediate skill set in a bunch of disciplines, or some other combination of things to keep challenging yourself and growing.

I've been asked by people who've done one tandem "Well, don't you get bored?" If I just did what people do on a tandem - exit, stable freefall, maybe a few turns, and a nice canopy ride ... well, yeah I'd get bored. But getting to get up and play in the sky with friends old and new and try new stuff ... that never gets old.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

For most people, the "oh my G I'm going to die" feeling is gone by 30-50 jumps. Skydiving remains an absolute thrill for the first several hundred. After the hardcore thrill fades, it becomes something different for each individual. For me, it became a challenge to be able to do the best I could. Ego also stepped in and I decided I had to be better then anyone else on my DZ. I adopted the "I have to be better" idea and I am still trying today. I am better then most, at this or that but skydiving is so diverse, so endlessly broad in its span. I will continue in my push to be better then everybody else. I know this will never happen, so I expect to continue on my current path until the path reaches its end. Another 30 or 40 years down the road.

I am on my way to to about 450 for the year. I have done about 400 every year in this century. Each year, at least 6 or 8 times I have an experience that sets me back a step or two and makes me say "Wow that was incredible" . These experiences are usually breath taking and flat out incredible. what makes these thing even more special, is the fact that I know they are shared by but a handful of people in the history of human kind.

We are skydivers and we are unique, but we share things like this and it makes us a group unlike almost any other. I have been a skydiver for 15 years 6 months 9 days 3 hours and 50 minutes. It continues to hold me like a child in its grip. From this sport I will never stray.

So the answer to your question is no, never boring, never without a thrill. The crazy thrill is toned down but never gone.

Welcome to the endless journey my friend, welcome to the world of skydiving.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

That cross country gets boring just dock on the nearest person with a velo...all of a sudden it's exciting again;) Remember, when the thrill is gone, put the danger back in!!!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Of course the thrill gets lost ! Where would this sport be if the thrill of a solo freefall was permanent ? We would never have FREEFLY, FREESTYLE, CRW, WINGSUITS, BASE, etc. This sport can only survive through innovators who are willing to push the limits. People who got bored of skydiving risked their lives to take the sport to new levels. There are freaks out there flying sub 30 sq/ft canopies and trying to land wingsuits on ski slopes !! These are people who lost the thrill of freefall so they did something about it.

Some people quit the sport, others re-invent it.

- - i was sent here to disturb the peace - -

Nope, still fun (and certainly not OMG, gonna die). Even when I took time off the sport, I still wanted to jump. There were just other priorities. Skydive until you don't want to, then do something else. If you want to come back, then do it.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Just like the others have said, that initial huge adrenaline rush and the 'OMG that was so frieken amazing' thing will usually wear off over time. I think thats when a lot of people give up and are happy that they were once a skydiver, got the T-Shirt and have moved on to other things.

But for those of us who stay beyond that point there are SO many cool aspects to this sport that something is bound to keep you excited about it. For me its the team aspect and seeing our jumps and flying ability improve over time. I get a kick out of planning a skydive with my team/friends and then going up and having the skills to do it.

Im not sure how ill feel in a few thousand jumps from now but up to this point ive never thought about giving up and still think about skydiving every day during the week in anticipation of the weekend.

Yes, this sport rules!!!! B|

That cross country gets boring just dock on the nearest person with a velo...all of a sudden it's exciting again;) Remember, when the thrill is gone, put the danger back in!!!

Or I go jump with you since you always make me try new things. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The act of jumping out of a plane, falling through the sky, and flying a parachute to the ground becomes routine. If that's all there was to it, not many people would keep up with it. The challenge to hone your skills, learn new ones, be able to truly FLY your body with precision is what is addictive. Sharing the experience with your friends is the icing on the cake. It something you can never, ever master completely. I think it's perfect for people who like to push their own abilities as far as possible.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

Not exactly bored or lack of rush, but for me skydiving did get a little mundane. I love relative work and as I got better I had to rely on everyone I jumped with to get better with me, and that frustrated me. I eventually turned to other endevours for my adrenaline...

Try exiting the aircraft in head down at a thousand feet, that's a good rush; also done 135 on the two wheeler down the runway. Not to say that skydiving was ever boring, I just lost direction when dives seemed to be pretty much the same one after another. Then I realized that no matter how good I got I still exited the aircraft and went straight down just like everybody else.

Windsurfing in large surf, now that's a sport with a healthy punishment factor for the lack of skills.

From a personal perspective I do not ever see this sport getting old for me. There's always something new to learn, disciplines to master, and if by chance skydiving just doesn't do it for me, then there's BASE jumping. With some people having 10,000 some odd jumps...something tells me they would have gotten that far if things ever became boring or routine. Then again...skydiving isnt for everyone and some find its not for them and try something diffeent.