jerry81

Aircraft emergency exit - do you pay your ticket?

It may be a business, but isn't just any business, and I am not just any customer.

Personally I would refuse the money, and then I would be seeing if there was anything I could do to help.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

How about this - if you have to exit early, go ask the DZO for your money back. The guy is most likely facing a serious repair bill for the AC, and I'm sure he'll be happy to refund your money for you.

He'll think you're a dick and never cut you a break on anything as long as you jump there, but you'll most likely get you money back.

Even so, you're probably only due the difference between the full altitiude you paid for, and whatever the partial atlitude was. If it's $21 to the top, and $12 for a hop n pop, you've got $9 heading your way.

Considering the cost, long hours, and hard work needed to open and run a DZ, being a hard ass for your $9 seems pretty short sighted.

It also takes a lot of cost, long hours and hard work to be a gear dealer, or manufacturer, for instance. Despite that, we expect good customer service, so that if something goes wrong, a dealer or mfg makes a mistake, we expect them to fix it, without additional cost.

I think it would be very short sided for a DZO to "think you're a dick". If they want to put out a call for contributions to the 'fix the engine' fund, then let them do it directly.

I think that if they are so short on money, they are probably cutting corners on maintenance.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Holy crap batman, $240 to take a cesna to 10K?

Try this...

Go rent a 182, pay for the Hour, fuel, insurance and the pilot, take the time to file the paperwork to make your landing area legal, the plane legal... and pile in heading for 10K...

I'll gaurentee you can't do that for less than 240.00

I'll also tell you now, so you won't go into shock if you SHOULD try to do that, if the plane craps out at 3K and the P.I.C. orders you out, you won't be getting a refund from everyone you dealt with.

It's a 'take your chances' kind of deal, if ya can't live with that try bowling.

At least THERE ,you don't 'have' to spend 5 grand on colored nylon that wears out REALLY fast! ;)

I am in a bowling league:)

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land

If I pay for full altitude because i want to have a freefall then thats what i have payed for, not a hop and pop. Everyone who thinks differently, there is something wrong with you. If you went into a burger place and ordered a burger and they only gave you a bun with nothing in it because their grill broke, would you still pay for the just the bun? Use your heads here, you have payed for a freefall and didnt get one, and were forced to do a hop and pop. You should get what you agreed to get.:S

So by this rationale, if you paid for 13,500 but only got 13,000 because of clouds, you would expect a full refund???

Mark Klingelhoefer

If I pay for full altitude because i want to have a freefall then thats what i have payed for, not a hop and pop. Everyone who thinks differently, there is something wrong with you. If you went into a burger place and ordered a burger and they only gave you a bun with nothing in it because their grill broke, would you still pay for the just the bun? Use your heads here, you have payed for a freefall and didnt get one, and were forced to do a hop and pop. You should get what you agreed to get.:S

So by this rationale, if you paid for 13,500 but only got 13,000 because of clouds, you would expect a full refund???

Mark Klingelhoefer

I dunno about you and your dropzone, but we can usually get a freefall from 13k AGL, do you just do hop and pops from that altitude?

Q. Why do birds sing?

Read my post. It clearly says -

and I'm sure he'll be happy to refund your money for you.

You did pay for a service and not recieve it. You do have a right to have your money back.

If the gear dealers shop burned down, and the Pro=Track batteries you already paid for were destroyed in the fire, would you worry about the cash you were out?

An engine rebuild can easily cost more than the cost of rebuilding a shop, and the difference you're due for the early exit is about as much as the batteries cost.

I agree that in normal circumstances, I'd expect a gear dealer to do right by every cent I gave them. In a situation with an extenuating circumstance like a fire, or some similar extreme loss of money, I'd let the 10 spot go, be glad it wasn't me.

If a DZO/pilot took off with the intention of taking me all way up, and had charged me accordingly only to declare, "I'm sick of flying today. You can get out now at 4k, otherwise, I'm landing the plane then taking a nap", in that case, I would ask for the balance of my money back.

See? No loss or harm to the DZO, then yes I'll be a hardass for the dollars.

If the DZO has just been delt a rough hand and had his day ruined, I'd rather lose the dough than add to the guys misery.

It's just money people, have a heart.

In an emergency you should be thankful you are not dead and not worry about the ticket.

Ditto.

In a car accident you should be thankful that you are not dead, and not worry about fixing the car or getting insurance information. Just be thankful you are not dead, dont worry about anything else! Wether the plane had problems because of neglect or whatever, just thankful u are not dead!

Q. Why do birds sing?

In the case that you have to get out because of aircraft problems- above 3000 but well below the planned exit altitude- how do you think the jump should be charged? As normal? Half price? Free? What if there's a person who paid for video or coaching or a tandem in the plane?
Opinions or personal experience if you have any...
Thanks!

In the case that you have to use your Reserve before the repack cycle has transpired; do you ask for a prorated refund on the days you didn't get to use it?

Don't be silly.

You're glad you're alive and you move on.

BTW, the last time I had to leave an aircraft early because an engine blew, we still did a 4-way jam up and exit. True story!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Regardless, The $7 to $10 difference between a H&P and a Full Jump Ticket isn’t really worth getting worked up over either way.

I agree. As someone said, your ass is alive and a few bucks isn't worth worrying about when you cheated death yet again.

Tandems (and maybe students) are the only thing I would say should get to go back up if they get a really short freefall (for free or at least for a lot smaller fee) since they pay so much and you don't want those people to be really upset and tell others about their experience (especially tandems - I'm sure most students would be understanding). I think you would want to make sure you make them happy if something bad went wrong. That is if they still want to jump after an emergency. :P
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

You should get what you agreed to get.:S

If I agree to get 13,500 and I get any less than that, by your rationale, I did not get what agreed to get and should not pay for it, I'm just quoting you here.

And I love to fly my canopy so I do occationally do hop and pops from 15,000.

Mark Klingelhoefer

In an emergency you should be thankful you are not dead and not worry about the ticket.

Ditto.

In a car accident you should be thankful that you are not dead, and not worry about fixing the car or getting insurance information. Just be thankful you are not dead, dont worry about anything else! Wether the plane had problems because of neglect or whatever, just thankful u are not dead!

:|

Geeze... skydivers... we're a twisted lott aren't we? We'll go spend thousands on a rig, hundreds on what is basically a glorified pair of coveralls... yet some of us will turn back around and bitch at the DZO or pilot when convinced we only got 12,000ft on that last load vice 12,500ft per someone's Alti-2... or... bitch about the price of AAD batteries that need replaceing every 2 or 4 years on the device we want to be impervious to error and there to save our lives if we're unable or forget to... :P

Anyway, this thread and arguements here are a lot like the ones that come up about, "what should happen if we get on the plane expecting to get to 12.5 and the clouds roll in and we only get 9"... or something like that.

Ya know what, maybe its just me, but if any DZO wants to not charge me because we had to get out low because of weather or had to get out because #1 shelled out, I'll let them... at the same time... if they want to keep my ticket, so the fuck what, if that 20 to 25 bucks to me is the make or break margin of my personal finances, I probably shouldn't be jumping anyways and it will all just go into the "experience" data base to guide my decissions in similar or like situations in the future.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

B|

I have been involved with a few emergency exit situations.

First of all, I am not paying for freefall; I am paying for an airplane ride.
At least that is the attitude at every DZ I have jumped at.

One reason I skydive because I like excitement and to me there are few situations as thrilling as bailing out of an airplane over unfamiliar terrain at 3k because there was a problem with the airplane bad enough for the pilot to order everyone out.

For me, the only thing that compares excitement-wise is maybe a malfunction or a first release dive with a student.
All the training for hours on the ground is accentuated by occasional moments of terror in the air – that is why I do it.

Last time I was on a video slot with a Tandem from 7K and there was an airplane problem, honestly I do not remember if the paying tandems got another jump or any money back but I do remember that there were no complaints.
The excitement level was high with an engine out.

Shit, I'd pay an extra $20 for an emergency exit from 2 or 3k from an airplane that was on fire or something - sounds exciting as hell.

Last thing I would do is bitch to the DZO about a few bucks.
In essence, he is providing my addiction, he is the one that makes it all possible and I appreciate all he has to do to make that possible and provide his customers with airplanes and rental equipment that are well maintained.
Being on the DZO’s good side has some benefits every now and then…

Maybe my perspective is a little different than a fun jumper after working as a full time skydiver for the last 6 years - It’s not easy being the head honcho of a DZ these days.

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

>what if you went up and the clouds came in and the pilot decided
>to bring the plane down - should you be charged ?

Did the plane use any fuel?
Did it incur any wear on its engine, tires, or brakes?
Did the pilot spend X minutes flying it?

If the answers to all those questions are "no" then it would make sense to not charge you.

Its interesting to read this thread and the other ones like it dealing with weather, clouds, etc. and having to get out lower then 12.5 and see the difference in attitute & opinions of the folks that have been around the block a few times as opposed to those who have just toddled to the sidewalk... ;):P:):D

what if you went up and the clouds came in and the pilot decided to bring the plane down - should you be charged ? we were charged even with out the jump

You saw the clouds around, and boarded the plane anyway. Your choice, your dime.

Don't want to get weathered out? Don't jump when there's heavy clouds or borderline winds around. It's simple.

You should get what you agreed to get.:S

If I agree to get 13,500 and I get any less than that, by your rationale, I did not get what agreed to get and should not pay for it, I'm just quoting you here.

Mark Klingelhoefer

Read my post, it was the comparison of a hop and pop to a freefall skydive I was refering, not 500' differences. Are we even reading the same post?

And I love to fly my canopy so I do occationally do hop and pops from 15,000.

Thats nice!

Q. Why do birds sing?

what if you went up and the clouds came in and the pilot decided to bring the plane down - should you be charged ? we were charged even with out the jump

Sure you should pay for that spot. At our dropzone we make the call so it is our responsibility. But I didnt make the call to break the plane

Q. Why do birds sing?

Shit, I'd pay an extra $20 for an emergency exit from 2 or 3k from an airplane that was on fire or something - sounds exciting as hell.

Some people will pay for anything. I have this sweet magical rock in my yard, and would be will to let it go for this one time low price of $1000, let me know:P

Q. Why do birds sing?

Some people have waaaay too much time on their hands.How often do you expect this scenario to come into play?I have been jumping for 8 yrs with 1700 jumps and the issue has not come up yet.Damn I guess I should be worried about it.I'm going to check with the DZ before I manifest again.I'd hate to get screwed out of 7 or 8 bucks.

If I pay for full altitude because i want to have a freefall then thats what i have payed for, not a hop and pop.

If the pilot gives you extra altitude do you pay the dzo more money after you land? Of course not! If it's an aircraft emergency then I'll be happy not having to land with the plane.
For a student or a tandem, I'd say give them some of their money back or perhaps a free (or reduced price) jump another time.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

If I pay for full altitude because i want to have a freefall then thats what i have payed for

Not true at all. You paid for a lift ticket, a plane ride. There is no DZ in the world that sells tickets based on the type of jump each skydiver wants to make on that load (and no I am not talking about specialty jumps).

It is very clear that your original post was nothing more than a deception to start arguments and bash people by telling them that if there opinion is different than yours they are wrong. You asked for peoples opinions and they gave them and in return you bashed them.

I have read post here by people that will forget more about skydiving than you will ever know given your attitude on this thread. They have tried to give you insight, personal experience and guidance that have fallen on deaf ears.

And to answer your opinion that you asked for, no I don’t think you should get a refund. I have had to make three emergency exits and I learned invaluable information from them that could not be otherwise bought or learned for the price of a lift ticket. So in the end I received a greater benefit than I paid for.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

I have always figured that getting on the airplane costs me a jump ticket. Emergencies, weather, etc, don't change the price. I realize that sometimes you get a break, but I have never asked for one, nor will I. I chalk it up to karma. How many times have I been on a plane and had them circle a while to find a hole? How many times have I gotten extra altitude and not been charged? Lots.

Anyway, a few "extra" bucks for the experience of jumping out in an emergency is worth it, don't you think? Also, I am a big fan of not being dead, and 10 bucks is nothing in comparison.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History