jerry81

Aircraft emergency exit - do you pay your ticket?

>How does he miss the point of his own OPINION?

Someone had the opinion that you should not _expect_ to get your money back, but it would be nice if you did. He "agreed" with it and then said the exact opposite. He can have any opinion he likes, but he missed the point of that particular post (IMO.)

>But in a reasonable commercial business, that $7 is due back to you . . .

I agree. My point is that skydiving is not like any other reasonable commercial business. When I rent a car, a good friend of mine is not running the rental place. If the car has some minor problem that doesn't bother me, I probably won't spend half an hour fixing it. When I return the car, I usually won't see it again. If another renter has a problem and dies in a wreck, I'm probably not going to know them. If one of the rental agents dies doing his/her job - again, I'm probably not going to know them, and losing one agent probably won't cause Avis to shut down for the day. If I end up owing them money and I don't pay them back, they'll probably call a collection agency - and not give a shit whether I have the money to pay them back or not.

There are a lot of places where you _can_ treat skydiving like any other commercial business, and you'll probably get your money back if you bitch about it. (Heck, some places may even offer it!) I hope in the future skydiving does not become more like car rental places, where the customer demands exact value from his money no matter what happens to the people, the aircraft or the DZ. Because if they do, the DZ's will start returning the favor.

Holy crap batman, $240 to take a cesna to 10K?

Go back and reread my post. I stated that the DZ either breaks even of makes up to $5 per fun jumper. So if the DZ was run like a traditional business the lift ticket prices would be about $60.

So, please go back and reread my post fully if you'd like to discuss it.

I've read your post, fully, and reread it. It doesn't make sense.

Traditional businesses don't operate on that much %profit (you said they make maybe a $5 profit at regular jump ticket prices, but if run like a traditional business it should be $60).

In a "traditional business", how much do you think a commercial pilot would get paid for an hour of flying within a gnat's ass of max weight and having those dumbass weights crawl around on his hull, next to or touching his control surfaces?

I think that was part of his point, that in a normal business setting, the costs would be higher, not just the profit margin.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I am in a bowling league I didnt realize that the world works like that.

>>>Somehow, those two 'factual statements' prove each other, not bad for such a short sentence!:D

I guess if you guys say I should pay for something I didnt receive then so be it,

>>>Great, you may be starting to understand just how things in this 'fun little culture' we call Skydiving work! B|

....anyone else want to stick objects in my ass?

>>>Errr....Then again maybe not!:o

(Use that line a lot in the bowling leauge do ya?!)
:$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My point is that skydiving is not like any other reasonable commercial business.

And that's a point worth noting!

Oh, and here's another thing to discuss:
If you were doing a paid jump (instructing, filming, tandem) on a load that had to leave the plane like that, didn't do the jump you were supposed to, you probably wouldn't expect to get paid. Would you offer to pay (or be OK with paying) your slot or whatever everyone else was paying for that jump?

The long and short of it for me is this...

At my home DZ, they would give me a refund even if I did not ask for it.

I personally would not ask for it/nor take it.

My DZO bends over backwards for us, as do our pilots. If they said "get out," I would without hesitation, and be happy all came out (hopefully) ok.

Lets face it...it's $20.[:/]

Someone had the opinion that you should not _expect_ to get your money back, but it would be nice if you did. He "agreed" with it

What are you talking about? I agreed with it? Here is your sign

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land

Never had to deal with this yet, but if I did, I wouldn't ask for my money back... and I'd go buy the pilot a beer for saving my ass!

Anyone who would demand their money back is being very cheap. Yes, they did not recieve a service they paid for, but really... you're going to have aircraft problems leading to an early exit what, maybe 1 jump in 1000??? Is the $22 really worth it? Plus, all but maybe 5 DZO's in the country are more poor than the jumpers they fly all day anyway.

As a packer, I have packed about a dozen malfunctions (out of 8 or 10,000 packjobs), and have been paid for all of them. I never asked for the money on those, but I always got it.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Three things I dislike about this sport

1 Punters who wont learn how to play the game

2 99% of Germans under canopy

3 People dying

Seems you come under number 1

My turn

Three things I dislike about this sport

1 Ignorant comments comming from some crackie

2 YOU

3 People dying

Q. Why do birds sing?
A. Because they dont have to pack when they land

do you pay your ticket?

If I get on the plane I assume I have gotten what I paid for once it takes off. I do not jump at places where I do not feel at home, and therefore I would not ever even think to make my family to refund me in this instence. Depending on the problem the plane had and my dz's financial state I might even throw extra money towards the the DZ.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I would be willing to bet that if you reread the waiver you signed before you jumped at that DZ then you would probably see that you initialed a paragraph (or several) that pretty much state "shit happens and it's not our fault" and that you are basically accepting any and all risks regardless of what they may be and that the DZ is not responsible for anything.

(you did read the waiver didn't you?)

Basically, the DZ doesn't have to refund you anything unless it wants to (most DZ's will be fair about it though).

SkydiveAllegan.com