briangilbertson

Has anyone done tandem out of a Helicopter?

whew, this weekend is looking to be rather interesting. See everyone on Saturday!

Back on topic: looks like it has been done before, I would consider telling my friends that want to do a tandem about it if it wasn't the end on Jan :ph34r:

yeah no worries on it being safe here is my info:
I am a USPA TI and AFFI with 3000+ skydives, 2000 of those are tandems, and 850 of them just last season. I have seen a fair bit. In regards to the tandems out of a helicopter, I have had a passenger in the harness hooked up and in the aircraft with the seat belt through the main lift web of the sigma tandem rig. Yes, it is a snug fit but very doable.

But were suppose to trust you with a username of "jumpnjoeCUTAWAY"????

Congrats on the AFFI rating btw.

Helicopters were not built specifically to go to altitude, but if they can, then cool... but I would think that opportunities to jump one from that high are rare, very rare...

In Kolomna, near Moscow, they use Mi8 helicopters in the summer - goes to 13k as quick as a turbolet - I have seen loads of tandems from them. And for fun jumpers it was around $10-$15 a jump last year I think

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Helicopters were not built specifically to go to altitude, but if they can, then cool... but I would think that opportunities to jump one from that high are rare, very rare...

In Kolomna, near Moscow, they use Mi8 helicopters in the summer - goes to 13k as quick as a turbolet - I have seen loads of tandems from them. And for fun jumpers it was around $10-$15 a jump last year I think

can you send it over here for my boogie
Westside is the best side!

Yes. I trained some military PJ's a couple years ago to get tandem ratings. We had to use a BlackHawk. They are qualified at 200 jumps to gat a tandem rating. After the training was done, they were taking 375lb barrels out the door

Did you do that with Terry Goode? He showed us some tapes of when he did similar training for the PJs. Some of it was kinda scary looking. :S
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have only done three tandems from an Alouette 2/Lama helicopter.
It was no more cramped than a Maule and had about the same interior room as most Cessnas.
We hooked up before take-off, so that all I had to do during climb was tighten the side straps and remind my students to arch.
Yes, the first few seconds were unstable - in low speed air - but after we picked up some speed, it was just another tandem skydive.

I have only done three tandems from an Alouette 2/Lama helicopter.
It was no more cramped than a Maule and had about the same interior room as most Cessnas.
We hooked up before take-off, so that all I had to do during climb was tighten the side straps and remind my students to arch.
Yes, the first few seconds were unstable - in low speed air - but after we picked up some speed, it was just another tandem skydive.

exactly thak you

Yep, Terry was there.. A couple of years ago was the Blackhawks.. Last year we had C-130's as our ride in Kentucky.. Scary, sometimes :D.. I think Terry was actually crying durning one jump - Oh, maybe that was me:P..

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Yes. I trained some military PJ's a couple years ago to get tandem ratings. We had to use a BlackHawk. They are qualified at 200 jumps to gat a tandem rating. After the training was done, they were taking 375lb barrels out the door

Did you do that with Terry Goode? He showed us some tapes of when he did similar training for the PJs. Some of it was kinda scary looking. :S

Yep, I think Terry cried alittle bit.......:D

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Its not that rare, went up 6 times today in the UH-60. 36F on the ground and 6F at 12K.
8 minutes to 12, with good pilots, 12 to 12 with not so good ones.

We are going back to Cullman on Saturday though, it is to be warmer.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Update: We have 36 jumpers wanting to 50+ skydives as well as 6 tandems so I guess that would be 42 and 56. Now we just have to hope the weather behaves itself and lets us get altitude. The pilot has said he will come back on sunday if we get weathered out. I have six or so people showing up tonight from as far away as the U. P. and Canada. If you plan on staying at my place bring sleeping bags and stuff. This should prove to be a good weekend. PM me with any questions or concerns.