pa2themd

Definition of Swoop

I always loved this little gem that our friend Tonto wrote on the forums some time back...

"The Swoop"

When setting up the swoop, your state of mind is everything.
One must be empty of everything and one with all. Mindfulness is the goal.

Pulling on risers and looking around is unskilled labour.

The swoop is conceived in your mind’s eye, and develops in the setup.
The gates are simply the moment of birth, the distance and time the life, and touchdown is death until it is once again reincarnated in your mind in an effort to purge the errors of it's earlier lives. Thousands and thousands of lives will bring enlightenment, and with enlightenment, Nirvana.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

swoop.....in the context of skydiving
USED to mean that diving, flaring, stopping move that a late docker would put on an RW formation, or on a 3 way, or even on a solo..B|;)
....Not sure how many here even REMEMBER what a "pin and base".....is....[:/]

but a swoop was that last aggressive move to the slot, carrying speed, from a dive, but bleeding off that speed soas to arrive on grips,,,, smoothly gracefully and without ANY excess momentum....;)

THEN,,,, as canopy piloting became an art, as well as a survival technique, the term "swoop" transitioned over to what we commonly think of today..... as Pilots finish their descent in an orderly and speedy and dramatic way.....:DB|

So nowadays we can do 2 totally different and distinct swoops,,,,,, on the same skydive....
how cool is that????

jmy

I would guess during the 90's "swoop" became less of a freefall reference and more of a canopy "move"... Of course, before swooping there was turf-surfing...... B|;) i term I always liked.....cause it was perfectly descriptive of how people were landing....
Those landings only came with improvements in canopy design and flying techniques, which seem to have evolved maybe in the mid to late 80's..... Others may be able to pinpoint more accurately, just when the change happened...
was it more like, in the 90's???

RW swooping had something to to with the baggy, high drag suits in use at the time....70's primarily.. One could dive hard, and then throw all that drag out,,, "flying squirell like" .. and (theoretically) STOP!!!!!B|
Certain jumpers were very good at it. some not so adept..:D:SB|[:/].
( it took a time or two to "dial things in" ) Being base type personell , I can assure you that I've personally seen a few of the wide-eyed attemps that many a friend endured,, as they sailed past and under a formation . Tough learning curve,, but some people are very adept at it...
bring back Swoop Meets!! the freefall kind:D;):)
* another defintion.... Swoop- nickname of many a skydiver, including one on Full-Blown Hollywood Blockbuster..:S.... back a while ago.....
:o:D:P

** def. re: parachutes...Swoop - a Canopy landing technique utilizing just about every aerodynamic concept you could think of, , and which is done with the full intention of being totally in control of every aspect of the final approach, to the point of lighting on the ground.:ph34r:
hahahahaha

We must all Safely engage in which ever of these disciplines we may consider.
jmy o[:-)

When did the term "Swoop" replace "turf-surfing?"

turf surfing is "old school" and you do that with Sabres and other old canopies.

Now more performant canopies swoooop and some others outswoooooooooooop the formers. :D

Swooooooop is used because it can define the actual distance travelled (by adding oooooo's ) :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A real puzzler.....

What's the definition of 'hook turn'?

wouldn't that be when you do a turn by cutting a riser with your hook knife ? :D

I'd define a hook turn as a sharp turn (toggle or riser)inducing a big pendulum (body not under the canopy anymore)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

This is the only "formal" definition I found :

Wikipedia . . .

Swooping is the discipline of making a high performance landing.

"Swoop", an extremely exciting, but dangerous skill which entails a fast speed approach towards the ground, and then levelling off a couple of feet above the ground to cover as much distance as possible (as much as 600 feet), in a fast horizontal swoop.

A modern parachute or canopy "wing" can glide substantial distances. Elliptical canopies go faster and farther, and some small, highly loaded canopies glide faster than a man can run, which can make them very challenging to land. A highly experienced skydiver using a very small canopy can achieve over 60 mph horizontal speeds in landing.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.