rehmwa

How to load an Otter

1 - show up late at the staging area
2 - stand still and don't get in line, hoping to sit in back even if you are exiting late - if you succeed, carry your rig in on your shoulder and swing your elbows around getting it on. else
3 - walk to the top of the steps/ladder. stop and look around like you've never been in a otter before
4 - shuffle slowly down the center
5 - stop and look around like you've never been in a otter before
6 - bend over and look at your seatbelts
7 - sit down 2 feet in front of your seatbelts
8 - grunt while slowly backing up and dragging 3 sets of seatbelts back with you
9 - stop once you are sitting on top of the nuts of the guy behind you
10 - dig around for your seatbelt like you're searching for the remote - ignore the seatbelt half of yours the passenger behind you picked up to hand to you (little courtesy thing to speed it up)
11 - DON'T get the belt of the person in front of you. Stay seated on top of it
12 - fiddle with your belt a lot and push around on the pack of the person in front of you. It makes them comfortable.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Then on exit, make sure you're in the first group and totally ignore the green light even though the pilot has gps and has flown 35 loads that day. Spot for your group only, don't worry about the 20 other people ahead of you...they can pull high.

Skydive Radio

Then on exit, make sure you're in the first group and totally ignore the green light even though the pilot has gps and has flown 35 loads that day. Spot for your group only, don't worry about the 20 other people ahead of you...they can pull high.

Yeah, but if you are going to be the first group out, make sure at least one person in your group is sitting up by the pilot so he can push and claw his way to the door at the last minute.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

ignore that traffic below as well. Green is go don't you know.
Come on, you want out first get out first geesh..
Skymama's #2 stalker -

> I generally like to trust my eye's ability to gauge location 2 miles
>away over the ability of a super-redundant system using atomic clocks
>for precision.

Eh, my eye can be a few hundred meters off. We've had GPS spots that were 500 miles off. When them atomic clocks screw up, they screw up big.

1 - show up late at the staging area
2 - stand still and don't get in line, hoping to sit in back even if you are exiting late - if you succeed, carry your rig in on your shoulder and swing your elbows around getting it on. else
3 - walk to the top of the steps/ladder. stop and look around like you've never been in a otter before
4 - shuffle slowly down the center
5 - stop and look around like you've never been in a otter before
6 - bend over and look at your seatbelts
7 - sit down 2 feet in front of your seatbelts
8 - grunt while slowly backing up and dragging 3 sets of seatbelts back with you
9 - stop once you are sitting on top of the nuts of the guy behind you
10 - dig around for your seatbelt like you're searching for the remote - ignore the seatbelt half of yours the passenger behind you picked up to hand to you (little courtesy thing to speed it up)
11 - DON'T get the belt of the person in front of you. Stay seated on top of it
12 - fiddle with your belt a lot and push around on the pack of the person in front of you. It makes them comfortable.

But for the fact that we don't fly an Otter, I would have asked you if you jump at my DZ...:P

Thanks for this! I'll translate it and put it up outside manifest. Perhaps humor will go further than repeating the same things each load...

Then on exit, make sure you're in the first group and totally ignore the green light even though the pilot has gps and has flown 35 loads that day.

It's a two-way street, Brother. Some pilots don't adjust the green light even after five loads have landed in town among power lines. Give me the door long enough to check the airspace and check the spot. If both are on; my group is climbing out the second the light comes on. Now, I do agree with you about some groups I've seen that climb out, take grips, look around, do it again, circle around like a dog looking for a place to shit, then make the count...
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Yeah, but if you are going to be the first group out, make sure at least one person in your group is sitting up by the pilot so he can push and claw his way to the door at the last minute.

.........because he wanted some right seat time. That or Julie the pilot won't let anyone she does not know sit next to her. :ph34r:

Chuck

Can i add a couple?

Tandem masters, have studens climb in first and have them sit behind you so you can move them before we taxi.

Freefliers and aff jumpmasters MUST yell GO GO GO as soon as the green light comes on.

At exactly 980 feet, one (must designate beforehand) cranky old lady RW'er must yell to open the door.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Yeah, like the 35 loads I've seen and been on that were consistently shitty spots. I've been there at Z-Hills, Lake Wales, and elsewhere, landed off several loads in a row (along with many others) and been told to fuck off by manifest. Happened at both the aforementioned places in the last 3 years. The first off landing is because I trusted the pilot. Landing off on subsequent loads was a mix of hoping the pilot had his act together and succumbing to the screams of "go, go, go..." from those in the back of the load (I know, my fault, in part). All of these were RW groups exiting first, and certainly not the first, last, or only loads of the day. So don't tell me that the pilot is OK just because he's done it before. The last one, at Z-hills we put up with people screaming at us for 30 seconds before we exited, and we still couldn't make the airport -- They did.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

But you forgot...

13) Stand-up at around 8 or 10K to tighten up your leg straps, chest strap, put on your gloves, clean the boogers off of your goggles, straighten your hair, etc. because you couldn't be bothered to get on the plane ready to skydive.

and, if you're a Tandem Master...

14) At around 9K demand the other 18 people in the airplane cram into the aft third of the airplane so you can have plenty of room to hook up your Tandem student... and also... if your Tandem student is a hot young chick, do the same, but start at 7K so you have extra time to grope her.

> I generally like to trust my eye's ability to gauge location 2 miles
>away over the ability of a super-redundant system using atomic clocks
>for precision.

Eh, my eye can be a few hundred meters off. We've had GPS spots that were 500 miles off. When them atomic clocks screw up, they screw up big.

maybe a "cessna" dropzone isn't so bad after all. at least there is none of this crap - everyone knows how to spot and if anyone yells at you to get out you just lean over and slap them.

;)

rm

Not to re-kindle a dead hijacking on a good thread, but I've seen turbine babies in a Cessna when the clouds were low and we were doing hop-n-pops, who didn't even look out the door, just looked at the pilot and asked if it was good to get out, then bailed.
I got nuthin