K-Rock

Temperature

I'm supposed to make my first IAF jump this weekend, but temps are only supposed to be in the mid-40s. Will I still be able to jump? It is supposed to be a sunny day none-the-less.
"Who's your paddy?"
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
"I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to live, and when I'm flat on my back I hope to feel like I did"

Mid-40's on the ground means it will be chilly at altitude. Wear layers that will keep you warm but not create a lot of bulk underneath your jumpsuit. Make sure you have gloves to keep your hands warm, but thin enough to allow you unrestricted dexterity for function of your handles.

Even when it's cold upstairs, you are only cold for a short time - exhilaration will overrride the feeling of being cold.

Have a great jump!
Arrive Safely

John

As SlotPerfect said, dress in layers. There are people that jump year around - with and without clothes - so the main issue is whether or not you'll be comfortable with the temperature difference. It only lasts a minute, and your adrenalin will kick in so you may not notice the colder temps. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Thermals are your friend... winter nuemans and liners are nice too. :D

But don't worry too much, it won't be too bad when it is 40 on the ground. When it gets to be about 15 on the ground it is a little uncomfortable. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I'm supposed to make my first IAF jump this weekend, but temps are only supposed to be in the mid-40s. Will I still be able to jump? It is supposed to be a sunny day none-the-less.

IAF means 3000, right? Shouldn't be too much colder (plus the wind chill). Still beats most days at 15k.

But definitely dress in layers as they say. You have enough to think about and worry about without being physically cold as well. Wear a warm hat/beanie on the ground.

IAF means 3000, right? Shouldn't be too much colder (plus the wind chill). Still beats most days at 15k.

But definitely dress in layers as they say. You have enough to think about and worry about without being physically cold as well. Wear a warm hat/beanie on the ground.

IAF usually means Instructor Assisted Freefall, a version of Accelerated Free Fall, sometimes beginning with tandems, and usually taking place at higher altitudes. IAD is Instructor Assisted Deployment, a version similar to static line that takes place at lower altitudes.

Drop zones often design their own programs based variations of tandem, Accelerated Free Fall, and Static line, and then intentionally give them a wide variety of names and abbreviations. The result is marketplace confusion that minimizes the ability of students to comparison shop. If you spend some time visiting web sites you will see all kinds of marketing designed to confuse, rather than enlighten. That was one of the motivations for writing my book.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The high tomorrow is supposed to be around 45, lets home the spring sunshine will bump that up closer to 50. I will throw on my skiing thermals and under armour. I have more to think about than the cold anyway, I'm sure I will be distracted.
"Who's your paddy?"
"I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to live, and when I'm flat on my back I hope to feel like I did"

The result is marketplace confusion that minimizes the ability of students to comparison shop. If you spend some time visiting web sites you will see all kinds of marketing designed to confuse, rather than enlighten. That was one of the motivations for writing my book.

Saddest example I know is one that uses the ISP, but still has the AFF description on the web page.

yeah, definitely makes it less than clear what sort of commitment is involved.

GO for it dude! And please tell us how things go.

I am not sure what IAF means but I do know we need more skydivers.

There are people that jump year around - with and without clothes...

Yep, they're called Californians. :D

umm, I see those Elsinore people putting on neckwarmers and gloves in remarkably warm conditions.

Lol, that's because we're spoiled. :P:D I jumped all through this winter and never wore gloves, although there were two occasions early in the morning that I would have liked to. Most of the time I just wear a tshirt and shorts.:)
Gravity Waits for No One.

As SlotPerfect said, dress in layers. There are people that jump year around - with and without clothes - so the main issue is whether or not you'll be comfortable with the temperature difference. It only lasts a minute, and your adrenalin will kick in so you may not notice the colder temps. :)

What she said...you won't really notice when you're in freefall, but it will catch you after you land...:ph34r:;)...brrr...

Enjoy the jump!
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What she said...you won't really notice when you're in freefall, but it will catch you after you land...:ph34r:;)...brrr...

Enjoy the jump!

and really cold temps can play some serious havok with your hands, and your reaction times under canopy
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There are people that jump year around - with and without clothes...

Yep, they're called Californians. :D

Actually, the ones that I'm thinking of are here in WI.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

All you'll need is your under armor, a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve t-shirt under your jump suit. And gloves. Nothing fancy, no big trick to it. You'll be fine. You'll probably be sweating on your way back to the packing shed.

Easy Does It

The jump today was cancelled, snow showers, its April for gods sake. I have a reservation tomorrow morning at 10am as well, fingers crossed altho it is supposed to snow then as well. :(
"Who's your paddy?"

I jumped twice today with ground temperatures of 39 to 43 F and it wasn't too bad. We only went to 9000 AGL because of an overcast, though. I was wearing thermal underwear (top and bottom), blue jeans, an undershirt, a sweatshirt, and a jumpsuit over all that. I just wore a Pro-tec and regular goggles on my head. When the door first came open I thought "Dang that's cold" but then I had other things on my mind for climb-out and freefall. Once I got under canopy I noticed the cold again. I was pondering a third jump but a later load reported snow at 6000 AGL so I decided I was done for the day.

Under Armour is supposed to be nice stuff but they sure are proud of it. A little searching here seemed to say that polypropylene is the magic word if you're looking for the cheap stuff. So far I've been happy with my $20 set of thermal underwear from the sporting goods store: Morgan Mills, 50% polypropylene 50% cotton.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.