autoset

Has any of you experienced a bag lock and..

..was able to miraculously take the canopy out of the bag by pulling down the risers real hard once or twice before cutting away and deploying reserve?

Does this question make sense to any trained skydivers out there?

Me neither...

Email: No email entered.
Jump Profile
Home DZ: No home dropzone entered.
Gear
Container: No container entered.
Main Canopy: No main entered.
Reserve Canopy: No reserve entered.
AAD: No AAD entered.
Forum Activity
Last Logon: Apr 18, 2007, 9:14 PM
Local Time: Apr 19, 2007, 6:16 AM

..was able to miraculously take the canopy out of the bag by pulling down the risers real hard once or twice before cutting away and deploying reserve?

Once.

Last load of the day, rushed pack job, I had about 30 jumps at the time. Hop & Pop from 7k. Pitched the PC about 5 seconds out of the door, it stood me up, looked above me to find a spinning bag. I knew I had a little bit of time to play with it before having to chop, so I yanked on the risers once and it cleared. Main opened with 4-5 line twists which I was able to easily kick out of by 5k. After inspection of the gear, it appeared that a line stow had gotten looped around another stow, and the force from jerking on the risers broke the 2 rubber band stows causing the mal.

Would I do it again? Maybe, maybe not.

If I deploy at normal deployment altitude (under 4k) after a jump and see a bag lock, it's getting chopped immediately because even if the bag does clear, i'll probably have too severe of line twists to be able to clear and end up chopping anyways.

If it were on a high-ish hop&pop or a full altitude clear & pull, then there's a better chance that I would play with it for a little while before chopping.

Picking on? [:/]
This is some strange usage of the term “picking on” that I am not aware of.

Just merely pointing out that many of us here will take such inquiries more seriously by non-anonymous posters.

OK…

Not a good idea as phoenix already pointed out.

If a Baglock stands you up there are some schools of thought that suggest once you loose the drag of your body you may increase your descent speed (perhaps the drag of the trailing PC and BL will compensate?).
If the canopy comes out of the bag at this point (increase rate of descent/poor body position + other factors it would take a physics professor to figure out) then there is a possibility that the canopy may open violently, possibly resulting in pain and suffering to the person suspended under said mess…

Case in point:
A friend experienced a Baglock at 13k after a clear and pull (Hop&Pop) from altitude – he did not want to cut it away at that altitude because he thought he would never find his main after chopping it that high.
At 9k or so the canopy opened violently resulting in a back that was broken in 2 places.
It is not a good idea to take this course of action, althouh it did work for Kris, it is not a chance I would be willing to take (back surgeries suck).
It would have been much more inexpensive, less painful, less hosipital time and less time out of the sport to go ahead and loose the canopy…

In learning the basic fundamentals of dealing with malfunctions, an adequately trained skydiver will understand that any high speed partial malfunction requires immediate action (cutaway/deploy reserve) because with the high rate of descent /adrenaline pumping fun , it may be very possible for any skydiver to loose track of altitude.

Baglock is a High Speed Parial Malfunction:
Cutaway and Deploy the Reserve now.
-

Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Case in point:
A friend experienced a Baglock at 13k after a clear and pull (Hop&Pop) from altitude – he did not want to cut it away at that altitude because he thought he would never find his main after chopping it that high.
At 9k or so the canopy opened violently resulting in a back that was broken in 2 places.
It is not a good idea to take this course of action, althouh it did work for Kris, it is not a chance I would be willing to take (back surgeries suck).
It would have been much more inexpensive, less painful, less hosipital time and less time out of the sport to go ahead and loose the canopy…

Thanks for the case!

You may pick on his/her profile, but he/she just wanted to have some educated answers.

I don't think he is "picking on". Would you give the same anwser to a student with 23 jumps, as you would a jumper with five years in the sport and 1200 jumps?

It is pretty reasonable to want to know who your audience is, maybe a webjumper who hasn't even had a tandem yet, some one just out of AFF, a hundred jump wonder like myself, or an old salt. :D:ph34r:

I want to see if I can find this video that was posted recently for the OP.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

i have had a small case of bag lock but it cleared its self when i looked up and then the canopy opened just fine. Saw the video of this pretty bad bag lock that happeded to someone i know where he tried to fix it then when into line twists when it cleared then he cut away and pulled reserve and at this point his cypress fired. Unless your pulling at like 5000 feet AGL probally a better idea to just cut away.

Once, Twice, Go to plan B

That applies to 'looking at a bag lock'

It also applies to trying to fix a malfunction that may be considered 'minor'

There is nothign that you can do for a bag lock except watch it for another second or tow and hope that it clears. Then you get rid of it, Immediately.

trying to fix high speed malfunctions is like trying to steer the car before going over a cliff, versus simply applying the brakes to stop before you go over the cliff.

You gain nothing by continuing on the same path you are already on.

Saw the video of this pretty bad bag lock that happeded to someone i know where he tried to fix it then when into line twists when it cleared then he cut away and pulled reserve and at this point his cypress fired. Unless your pulling at like 5000 feet AGL probally a better idea to just cut away.

What a great point (worth repeating) about loosing altitude awareness by not following fundamental guidelines.

Baglock is a High Speed Parial Malfunction:
Cutaway and Deploy the Reserve now.

Under no circumstances is it recommended to attempt to correct this problem!
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

On a high hop and pop if you chop it is most likely gone right? And if you try to ride it down it might open like a ton of bricks possibly causing you to be seriously injured.

This is a stupid thought as a disclaimer I am just playing the what if game... but what if you didn't have an RSL and you pulled the cutaway cables enough to chop only one riser, or you held one of the three rings closed so only one side would release. Then if the canopy opened viloently it would streamer instead of whacking you.

Edit: seems way too complicated now that I think about it!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

This is a stupid thought as a disclaimer I am just playing the what if game... but what if you didn't have an RSL and you pulled the cutaway cables enough to chop only one riser, or you held one of the three rings closed so only one side would release. Then if the canopy opened viloently it would streamer instead of whacking you.

Edit: seems way too complicated now that I think about it!

:):):):)

You're right it is a stupid thought.

By doing something like this you are attempting to solve one problem by creating a bigger problem.
By having these "what if" thoughts you could be distrcted from the knowledge and train that WILL result in and better chance at saving your life.
If it doesn't look right. Get rid of it.
A reserve pack job or even a lost main is not worth your lfe.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

I had one, I threw out my main (a Stilettto 135), got stood up, and saw a classic bag lock, as I was reaching for my handles the canopy came out (rather violently) the left riser scraped the side of my head (I was not using a helmet at that time) and I got bloodied up pretty good.

reply]..was able to miraculously take the canopy out of the bag by pulling down the risers real hard once or twice before cutting away and deploying reserve?

A friend who did their AFF course in Russia was taught that the technique for a bag lock to pull down sharply on risers three times to try to bring out main before cutting away. They were also taught to strike the container with elbows three times in the event of a total mal to try to release the bag from the container - not sure that I would be happy trying that but it might make sense... I have no idea whether the guidance is prepared nationally or at a local level in Russia, but the dropzone at which they were taught has some very experienced staff members / instructors in terms of jump numbers (I think up to 18k jumps), for what that is worth.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example