yoink

Perris Dust Devil video

I took this short clip on the day I left Perris earlier this month.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=5643

There were several large dust devils that came through that day. The first one crossed the pool area and overturned the deck chairs around there... I'd never thought they could be that big or that strong.

I was glad I was on the ground. ;)

I'd just got a new camera the previous morning, so you'll have to excuse the crash-zooms at the beginning of the video! you get a sense of scale in the second half. :D

I saw a couple of them when I was out there.

Also, it only happened once, but there was a monster dust devil that blew through the parking lot at the DZ in Pell City, AL 7 or 8 years ago. A few tents with metal frames and a couple of windshields were wrecked. Four guys were hanging onto their metal framed tent to keep it from flying off! :o

Not to mention there was a load in the air at the time too, 5 minutes from exit! :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Somebody in the video makes a comment about it being the worst he's seen in 10 years.

Nah. They get much worse than that. Seriously. Not that you want any part of that one, but they do get much, much worse.

Also, that's a very wide diameter one kicking up a LOT of dust. I actually like those because you can SEE them from VERY far away and they're pretty easy to avoid.

In my opinion, it's invisible ones that are really deadly.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>They get much worse than that. Seriously.

Yep. The ones that scare me the most are the tight ones with an almost-invisible core of dust that shoot across the landing area. I've hit them at 1000 feet or so and had my canopy collapse completely.

In my opinion, it's invisible ones that are really deadly.

oh yea.. there is a video of Jeffro getting "DD'd" one moment he's surfing along nicely.. the next moment it looked like a giant hand crumpled up his canopy and tossed it aside...:o

no real indication there was a DD present at all... [:/]

>They get much worse than that. Seriously.

Yep. The ones that scare me the most are the tight ones with an almost-invisible core of dust that shoot across the landing area. I've hit them at 1000 feet or so and had my canopy collapse completely.

We had one 'spin up' in the gravel road beside work, here... maybe 2 feet across, fast enough to carry large pea gravel with it and sounded like a piccolo pete firework...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I often visited Perris 1 or 2 times per year back in 1997 through 1999 and I've seen a several of them. One day was particularly active with dustdevils and manifest kept announcing them as they were approaching the packing and creeping areas so that we could protect our gear. The Ghost Riders CRW team was actually flying their canopies around the damn things. I thought that was pretty damn crazy but they seemed to be having fun. The dustdevils that I saw that day were larger than the one in the video.

Yep, I totally agree.

I haven't been able to watch that video you guys gave the link to, but I got taken down by (a nearly invisible) one last October here in Oz.

IMHO, if you can see them you can avoid them, if you're aware of them you should be able to avoid them, but if you can't see them.... well, let's just say, I'm barely living proof of the outcome.

The one I hit, first affected my canopy at around eighty feet, I tried to use various control inputs to keep my canopy flying, then at around 30ft it collapsed the Right side of my canopy.

Result:
Frac in each foot, serious compound of L Tib/Fib, loss of L calf muscle (they transplanted my R pec to replace), R Tib/Fib, Compound R Femur, Shattered R Hip, collapsed Pelvis (7 fractures), ruptured spleen and other various internals, 3 fractured ribs, collapsed jaw, mandible and cheekbones. 2mths in Hospital. Recovery still ongoing.

People, just stay away from them. IMHO, if you get "taken" by one (that you can't see), it's like a surfer being taken by a shark.

Mine was above grass, didn't see it, first I knew was blades of grass flying past, then canopy started bucking and kicking.
Not fun.

Blue Ones,
Corey.

Somebody in the video makes a comment about it being the worst he's seen in 10 years.

I think "he" *ahem* said 2 years. They were the worst I'd seen at Perris since I started jumping. You can glance at my numbers to guess how many collective days I've spent there in that time. :)
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

should have seen some of the ones out in eloy this week one was about half the size of the parking lot. if i see them or know that the conditions are right for them ill land in the dirt and stay away from the grass.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak