floridadiver81

What would you do?

So i bought a rig..as most of you know. I know i cant jump it unless i have an AAD...at least before i get the A. Would you just rent gear until the license is attained or would you just suck it up and buy an AAD?
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

So i bought a rig..as most of you know. I know i cant jump it unless i have an AAD...at least before i get the A. Would you just rent gear until the license is attained or would you just suck it up and buy an AAD?

An 11-year old Cypres which had its 8 year and fresh batteries installed a year ago is worth about $150 of which you'll get $80 back using the standard Cypres pricing model

$trade-in ($80) + ( original price - trade-in) * (1 - age / 12 years) - $4-year ($160) * (1 - years since scheduled inspection/4) - $batteries ($75 from Airtec, $85 local) * (1 - years since replacement / 2)

where original price is arround $900 for a Cypres-1 bought when the dollar was strong versus the Deutsche mark or working back from the $1300 Cypres-2 MSRP less the $400 more a Cypres-1 will cost in battery replacements over its 12 year lifespan.

Other cases of Cypres pricing are more complex. A 10 year old Cypres that's worth $220 for trade-in value and time remaining becomes worthless when you subtract $160 for the inspection and $75 for batteries. That doesn't make much sense, so you might look at it from the perspective of the $140 a year
you'll pay for a brand new Cypres-2 assuming 12 years of life and no trade-in value. In the 10-year old timed out case that would be $80 + $280 - $160 - $75 = $125 to the seller and $235 to AirTec.

A 4-8 year old Cypres which missed its 4-year is especially messy; since getting the 4 year doesn't change when the 8-year is due. In the classic method you'd subtract $160 for the missed maintenance and $160 * (years remaining to 8 year/4).

When you're getting down at the end of a Cypres's life a lot of people don't find them worth selling. You might ask local jumpers what they have floating arround in their closet. You should know up to 46 of them from the cases of beer you bought for graduating from the student program and buying your first rig.

Some DZOs think having an AAD is such a good idea that they'll sell you one at their cost. I've heard of at least one case where the purchase came with interest-free financing, with the provision that the AAD and therefore rig had to stay at the DZ until it was paid off. You might see if deals like that are available locally.

Duh!

I'd buy the AAD. Obviously you need it now, until you get your A, but you should be using an AAD for the rest of forever. Buy the AAD now.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I'm in a similar situation - I have a rig but no Cypres. Personally, I've been limiting myself to H&Ps and solo CRW jumps, taking this as an opportunity to beef up on my knowledge of the new canopy. Nobody's gonna cork and take me out on a CRW jump, but the decision to jump without a CYPRES is a personal one. I'm just waiting for the right AAD at the right price at this point.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I'd learn to pack or mow lawns or manifest for jumps on the rental gear until I saved enough for an AAD. All the while explaining my predicament to any deep pocketed skydivers who might have one for sale cheap.

Hi again,

Buy an AAD. I need one for an event I'm attending in Germany. I paid $100 for one with 10 months left, and had to cough for a new battery, but compared to what I'll be spending on plane tickets, hotels and jumps in Euro's, it's nothing worth mentioning.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

So i bought a rig..as most of you know.

Silly me, I didn't know. Maybe the rest of the world is not following your progress as closely as you think.

Anyway, you imply that an AAD is something that you would rather not have and that you will only acquire if forced to by regulations. I realize that you have 4 whole jumps, and all of the knowledge that comes with that experience. However, the rule requireing an AAD for students is a good one, and the AAD may do more than make a hole in your wallet - it may keep you and your new rig from making a hole in the DZ. ;)

Kevin Keenan

Personally, I've been limiting myself to H&Ps and solo CRW jumps...

What are solo CRW jumps?:S

Every FAA legal skydiving container comes with two canopies for personal CRW :-)

Wow, that can get expensive. Probably cheaper to buy an AAD than it is to have to pay a rigger to repack your reserve after every jump:D:D.

I know i cant jump my rig until i graduated from aff and im cleared for self supervision. It never hurts to have it ready and waiting for when that time comes though!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye