jasleegoyne

whats so wrong with a round reserve??

first let me say that I love to dive,but haven't jumped in a long while,this is due in large part to the fact that when I finished AFF and wanted to buy a rig,I had very limited funds due to the fact that I am a single parent,I bought a very lightly used strong rig with a 28' round res.and a 220 cruiselite,the rig jumps awsome,but I've checked and it can't be refitted to take a ram res.,up untill now one of my very good friends has done the proper inspections for me but he's 74 yrs old,and I hate bothering him with my repacks every 120 days,and most riggers I talk to don't want to touch it!,I had another rigger inspect it only to figure out later that he had only "pencil whipped it",and I'm limited in my resources,I'm in north central florida the closest DZ's are williston or palatka both about an hour away,but if anyone knows a GOOD rigger somewhere in this area please let me know,I need to jump therefore I need an inspection BAD!!,and for those that are going to say"buy a newer rig",I just don't have that kind of cash flow,I'd love to get a newer JAV or MIRAGE!
skydiver fall down go BOOM!!

There is nothing "wrong" with a round reserve. It has some advantages and disavantages.

It limits the winds and areas you should jump in.
Many newer seinor riggers don't have the tools, knowlage, or experience to deal with them.
The landing can be less than graceful.

They are more reliable opening in less than perfect body positions.
They are able to take high speed openings better,
They react better with damage.

Keep looking for a rigger, there are plenty in FL. Check with the loft at Z-Hills maybe.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

In order to make your old rig compatible for a square reserve, check out this thread for info on how to add an extra reserve riser.

You'll also need a freebag made for your rig. The mfg might be willing to do it. I got the original mfg of my rig to make it for me.
I converted my Northern Lite II container about 17 years ago. So, it is possible. It will probably cost you at least $250, you'll still have trouble finding riggers willing to pack it, and you can probably find a newer rig for about that much. You'd really have to be in love with your rig to make it worthwhile.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Check with the DZ at DeLand. It's a little farther to drive, but I'm sure they can hook you up with folks who can do the inspection and repack.

Oh yeah, forgot, these guys are in Florida too....

Strong Enterprises Headquarters
11236 Satellite Blvd.
Orlando, Florida 32837, USA
Toll Free: (800) 344-6319

I'll bet they could pack it for ya.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well, the military still uses round canopies.

Seriously, not to be a gear snob, but a round reserve is so outdated in the sport.

I'm not a rigger and I realize rounds can be more reliable under certain circumstances but what good is an open canopy if you have no control over where you are landing?

Seriously, not to be a gear snob, but a round reserve is so outdated in the sport.

I'm not a rigger and I realize rounds can be more reliable under certain circumstances but what good is an open canopy if you have no control over where you are landing?

Well, he's said he has limited funds. Given a choice between jumping an older rig w/a classic canopy and a round reserve, and not jumping at all (which sounds like it may be his choice over the short run), I'd surely choose the round reserve.

Thanks to 2 round reserve rides myself, I was enabled to pass my genes on to the next generation. That's a boon to society right there.

But you do have control over where yo land. Maybe not as much, but you do have control. My first reserve ride was on a 28' Phantom (Thanks, Mark!) and I have 36 round military jumps on rounds. I am stil here and I have never broken any bones. So, I suppose rounds can do the job. After all, the whole world is a Dropzone! ;)

Edit; Oh yeah, and in a dual out scenario, your main and reserve won't downplane you, if you have a round.

You're not a gear snob but you *are* relatively young in the sport. Many of us have been around a while longer and have made loads of round jumps (main and reserve) and loads of jumps without AADs.

We've seen all the modern stuff develop over the years and have a different perspective. While many younger jumpers these days can't even imagine jumping without an AAD, we remember when jumpers were unwelcome on RW loads if they *did* have an AAD.

We've seen rig hardware and handle locations get standardized. We jumped all that outdated stuff before it became outdated, and we not only survived it, we enjoyed it. We used what was available at the time.

We've also seen the demographics of the skydiving community change over the years and have seen it mature as a sport. Along the way, as with all aviation stuff, the sport became a lot more expensive and is out of reach for many. If a guy who was jumping "back in the day" still has his old gear and it's airworthy and he wants to jump but doesn't have the money for new gear, that's ok by me. I'm not gonna talk trash to him like many of today's jumpers will. Chances are pretty damn good that we'll be able to share some good stories from the old days.

You ask a good question: "...what good is an open canopy if you have no control over where you are landing"

The answer is most likely that you would not be able to have control over where you land, but doesn't necessarily to apply to everyone.

Walt

Don't forget low alti canopy transfers.

And Scottjco, you can control where your going to land even with a round reserve! 1. you spot for your reserve and 2. waving off is to tell those in my landing area to move aside, because that low no one will be above you.;)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

A friend of mine ended up in a nasty horshoe high up, and probably if it wasnt for the round reserve managing to snake past that mess I would have one less friend today. So don't bash rounds! And in a funny twist in that nightmare, he was the only one that made it back to the DZ on that load, the rest landed out.

Isn't a round reserve superior to a square in every aspect except that you get less options where to land? You can steer them fine enough so you dont hit those powerlines, and I rather do a tree or waterlanding with a round reserve than a square. They open great for a reserve, more reliable and as mentioned handle blown panels or lines better. Just wondering...now when you see how many saves rounds do have and the problems with squares arises. And maybe there is a reason why army and smokejumpers use rounds instead of PDR-99's...

Hope you get your reserve packed Jasleegoyne! I too would jump the gear you got if I was in the same spot. Haha, only have two cruiselite jumps me, and both where from a bridge at 25 meters. Worked more than fine for that, although no time to flare it ;)

chris

find a rigger get it packed and come jump with us - don't let the yuppie jumper scare you away from you gear - as long as a rigger signs it off as airworthy it is jumpable - seen to many noobs get gear fear from the younger crowd and get talked into new gear and have no money for jumping or just stop jumping because they can't afford new stuff - get out and jump

Of course you have control over where you land a round. It just has to be exercised earlier in the process.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You might mail your rig off to someone who'll pack a round reserve. I'd bet Fred at Lost Prairie would pack it for you. Florida is a long way from Montana though. There's probably many riggers who live closer, who could get it packed.

I've got two reserve rides on 24 foot chest reserves. One I stood up. The other I sprained both ankles in a rock pile.

I'd recommend jumping the gear you have. Buy some newer used gear when you can afford it. It's too bad our sport is becoming a rich man's game....Steve1

I have 8 reserve rides and all but one were on round reserves.

They work just fine but I did have about 60 jumps on rounds as mains before my first cutaway. I definetly prefered the landing I had on a square reserve.

Depending on the spot and the terrain either one will work but nowadays I prefer to go square. I no longer own a round and I doubt I would ever jump one again but I certainly would not discourage anyone else from jumping them. I have enough time under rounds and I am not into nostalgia. (thank you very much!) With todays "green light spotters" I am just more comfortable with two ram-airs on my back.

In my opinion you should still always spot as if you have a round because after all you are really spotting for your freebag and pilot chute, not to mention your cutaway main. If those items land on the DZ then you would likely land a round reserve there as well.

If you were in my area I would pack your rig if it passed inspection. Hell, most of our pilots still have rounds as their emergency rigs.

Sooo.... They must be OK right?

I'm curious to know who told you there was something "wrong" with a round reserve.

If there is nothing wrong with one why do you not have one in your current rig? They are cheaper after all.
I think the main thing "wrong" with a round reserve is the landings hurt more.

A round requires a different skill set from a square for steering and landing safely in a safe spot. Right after a malfunction is generally not a good time to practice a new skill set.

That said, I'm not sure I see the problem with a round reserve either. You don't lose a freebag (i.e. cheaper). If you accept that you're NOT going to land on the drop zone, you pretty much can always find a safe spot to land. Since they don't have as much forward speed, you can actually land in a smaller space than a square can much of the time.

And a good PLF will make the landing quite tolerable.

That said, I have a square reserve. Mainly because some DZs won't let you jump with a round one, and an annual demo here (Ballunar) requires a square reserve. I can see the requirement at demos; it makes some sense that you would want to land back at the LZ on a demo.

Other times, people under reserves land close to their chopped main and/or freebag. So the ability to land back at the LZ is overrated.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)