northcave

Birds Vs. Skydivers

"Not including wind-driven rain, raindrops fall between 7 and 18 miles per hour (3 and 8 meters per second) in still air. The range in speed depends on the the size of the raindrop. Air friction breaks up raindrops when they exceed 18 miles per hour. "

If you've ever skied when icy snow is falling, you know the pain at 1/4 the speed.

I know a wingsuiter who collided with an eagle. The skydiver sutained cuts to the fast and I believe the eagle was never seen again.

If he sees this most he may be able to provide a more detailed account.

A link to Fergs' account of it is in the first reply to the thread.

And to Flyindawg, skydivers go much, much faster than rain (and hail)!B|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've never seen any birds higher than 2000', that's just personal experience, but I doubt you'll find many birds higher than that. Well, some you'll find, but not many, the food is mostly closer to the ground. You'll find swifts up to 2000' hunting for insects, and birds of prey maybe even higher.

By 2000', I'm supposed to have an open canopy, and then the risk of collision or any damage from a collision is pretty remote.

One would also think that birds like, say, pigeons would instinctively try to avoid things falling from the sky at 120 mph, because predators, such as peregrine falcons do excactly that.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

hitting anything at freefall speeds hurts, even rain;)

rain even hurt you? What's rain's max speed verse skydiver's speed?

not sure but heard it feels like getting your face sandblasted
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

One would also think that birds like, say, pigeons would instinctively try to avoid things falling from the sky at 120 mph, because predators, such as peregrine falcons do excactly that.

Are pigeons really that good, or do they just get eaten a lot? They're feathered rats - large numbers in cities where raptors are less common.

Are pigeons really that good, or do they just get eaten a lot? They're feathered rats - large numbers in cities where raptors are less common.

Common pigeons or "feral pigeons" are descended from the rock pigeon (Columba livia) that humans domesticated to use as homing pigeons. They are actually very good and fast fliers, but their technique for evasion of their natural predators, falcons, is not so much dodging as flying in a confusing, fast group so that the falcon can't single out a single prey. Still, they are very good. They may be flying rats living off garbage, but try to watch them more closely. Birds have different flying styles, and pigeons use speed.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

A guy I jumped with in Pennsylvania years ago came down from a skydive once with a green splotch on his jumpsuit and a nasty welt on his abdomen. He said he hit a bug at around 2500" just as he was about to deploy. Whatever it was it was big, or at least it made a big mess.

A guy I jumped with in Pennsylvania years ago came down from a skydive once with a green splotch on his jumpsuit and a nasty welt on his abdomen. He said he hit a bug at around 2500" just as he was about to deploy. Whatever it was it was big, or at least it made a big mess.

Yup...I hit a bug at about 4 grand over Elsinore once...cut my face open.

Someone said they get stuck in thermals or something, otherwise they wouldn't be that high...OUCH! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~