Blassiter

New to skydiving....

Ok so I am new to skydiving. I had my first tandem about two years ago and fell in love with it but I have been so busy I havent been able to pursue it until now. Well I have to wait until may of next year to start my certification(in new england so the season is about to end). I am looking to buy my first skydiving rig and I am completely clueless as to what i should buy and what is good or not. If anyone has any information that might help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ive thought a lot about this and the one time I did go I abolutely loved it. This is something I have dreamed about doing my entire life and I am very serious about it. So yes I am going to buy my own rig. Im not saying that I want it for my certification im just saying that after I complete my certification I am going to be looking to buy my own rig but I want to start learning about it now and looking to see how much I want to spend and when

Im not saying that I want it for my certification im just saying that after I complete my certification I am going to be looking to buy my own rig but I want to start learning about it now and looking to see how much I want to spend and when

You'll find loads of information on how to go about choosing your equipment here.

There are a few items you could buy now and use on your student jumps. Having your own pair of (clear, not tinted) goggles and maybe a pair of gloves isn't a bad idea - that way you're only wearing your sweat instead of someone else's. If you've decided where you'll be doing your student jumps you might contact them and ask if you would be allowed to use your own altimeter and/or helmet (most dz's will only let you use a Protec on your student jumps, but Protecs are pretty cheap).

Total agreement with skybytch, again...

Contact the school you will be jumping at and see what they will allow you to use and start with that. My first gear purchases were a pro tech helmet, altimeter goggles and gloves. I got that after my first jump cause I did not want to, as bytch so delicately put it wear someone else’s sweat.

Another option is to take a week off and fly down south to take the course. At Skydive Spaceland (http://www.skydivespaceland.com/stp.html) they have a program for people who do exactly that and can graduate you in a week. People come from all over Canada and Europe to train there and many get graduated in a week, plus there are few DZ’s with a better or even equal program/student gear/LZ/airplanes.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Hi,
I am new to skydiving myself with 31 jumps but as you stated I knew in my heart I was going to persue it and get licensed so after about 5 of my lessons I purchased a used rig from someone at the DZ for $2000.00 and it saved me money since i didn't have to pay the rental fee for the rest of the lessons. I got my license at about 28 jumps and I'm happy I have my own rig now and I figure when I'm ready and when I have more experience I'll get a custom rig for myself that fits better. Good Luck to you! I waited because they started me on a 190 and then moved me to a 170 and thats what I bought. I'm happy with it for now... :)

Whether you think you can or can't
either way you're right!

I waited because they started me on a 190 and then moved me to a 170 and thats what I bought. :)

sorry I dont really know much terminology right now, what is a 190 and a 170?

Its the square footage of the canopy. Youll learn all about that when you go through training. :P
Poetry don't work on whores.

I would say walk around the local dz and get to know the instructors and other fun jumpers. Ask questions about container size, main size, etc. That's the only way you will learn....you won't get a damn thing accomplished by asking on here.

Go and see what the different options are, understand what they do and how it works and then make an informed decision.

We all know you're excited about the sport, as were we, however, get more involved to make sure it is for you and that you want to spend that money on it. I would say, don't worry about getting gear right now. It's not a big deal.

Get the gear when you're ready and you have developed an understanding of how your gear works...

Just my .02
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

I waited because they started me on a 190 and then moved me to a 170 and thats what I bought. :)

sorry I dont really know much terminology right now, what is a 190 and a 170?

Skydiving is not something you buy the gear for and show up and somebody picks you for their team. It's a lifestyle, language, and culture all it's own. Like others have recommended. Go hang out at your local drop zone. Get to know the instructors, get to know the other fun jumpers. Learn the language and culture. The rest will come with time.

Good luck and enjoy!! :)

Ok Blassiter, I gotta go with the "wait" people talking about buying rigs.

I know you are excited about this and want to jump right out there buying stuff. But...

Since you are so new to the sport, you haven't gained enough knowledge about the equipment yet and relying on someone else to direct you to gear may turn out to be not in your best interest now.

Do yourself a favor and wait until you gain some more knowledge about ALL the gear before you buy. By the time you have the knowledge and some experience under your belt, you'll probably find that what you need at THAT time is different than what you need RIGHT NOW and it's almost always a bad idea for students to buy for the future instead of the present.

The above suggestions about buying the accessories now are good ones. You will get major satisfaction out of knowing you have your own helmet, goggles, altimeter and, if desired, gloves (although I do not recommend gloves for students).

I salute you on your quest.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'll second what pops said. I'm new to the sport as well and recently I've been able to try out some new rigs that my DZ bought. One of them has a PD280 in it (different brand of parachute). It flies a million times better than the rig I started with. Without being able to experience this I could have bought a rig that didn't fly quite as nicely and would have never known what I was missing out. Once you have a bunch of jumps under your belt you will be able to judge for yourself. Like buying a car before getting your driving permit.

-Michael

thank you everyone for all the great input. I am going to wait till I have some experience before I buy a full rig, but right now I am thinking about buying some basic equipment that I wont really need to change in the future, like a helmet, gloves, and that sort. I was wondering a few things, are there any specific altimiters(sp?) that anyone would recommend? Also I have noticed that in some of the videos I have been watching that a lot of people are wearing jump suits. Is this neccessary? and if you would recommend it are there any specific ones that would be better?

"Better it is for you to spend your money on jumps right now."

Seriously, welcome to the sky! Here's a (short) list of what you cannot know until you have had your FJC:

What helmet can I buy?
What jumpsuit will work for me?
What goggles and gloves should I buy?
What's the best container, main, reserve?
What audible should I get?

Can I get fitted for a wingsuit here? ;)

Trust me, you don't want to show up for your first jump with gear you'll be told you can't use. Experience talking here.

Have fun and be safe!

Gato
T.I.N.S.

The first things I bought were gloves and goggles, nothing more, and that was after I had 10 jumps.

Yep - here's a list of my bad choices:

Glow-face Galaxy (Nice one!) purchased here on DZ.com for $100. I have to send it in to be calibrated and refurbished (for $61 with shipping), because it doesn't read accurately. LESSON: Buy a new one next time.

Winter ops gloves - the friggin' SEALS use these things. They are too thick, and I'm not allowed to jump with them. LESSON: Neumann.

Beautiful used Bev RW suit - jury's still out on this one. It may work, but if it doesn't, I have to sell it. And I may not make my money back. LESSON: The DZ has jump suits; tear those up before you buy your own.

Enjoy.
T.I.N.S.

hi! im just starting out as a skydiver myself, im at 26 jumps with my solo licence, looking for a first rig; so i have a good idea where youre comming from.

first off dont buy a brand new rig for your first rig; look into a used one that can last you a season or two. pre-loved rigs will mean MUCH more cost effective, and the ability to have a rig without too much financial obligation incase you want to move to a different canopy in a season or so.

dont buy your rig untill youve obtained whatever license youre aiming for in your region. this is sagnificant for various reasons... and goodness forbid you decide 15 jumps in that you really dont like the sport, and thus youre stuck with a parachute. it's happened before.

ask the people around your Dropzone, your mentors and friends, the more experianced people who will get to know your weaknesses and strengths. they will be able to inform you alot more of whats going on spacifically to you then any online help.

when you go to buy a rig, keep a eye on dropzone.com classified section for a rig in your area to your taste in canopy size, style, colour, ect.

um, yes. hope that helps! good luck!! ^_^