BrianSGermain

Spinning Linetwists Malfunction Video

Thanks for posting.

I liked both parts, the mal part followed by a really fun jump.

Cool

I felt I had to soften the blow a bit. It was a pretty intense video to watch without the commentary and fun jump afterwards. Laura makes it all better...
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Brian... I'm new at this and my biggest fear right now is how I'll handle a situation if and when it happens. The most amazing part of this video to me, is not that you regained control, but the visible change in your face from the moment you do, to a few moments later.

You immediately look into the camera and say "WOW!"... because of the rush, but as reality set in and you realized just what happened, you look into the camera again and say "holy shit". That says it all. These two expressions are at opposite ends of the excitement spectrum.

Watching this has really illustrated how much my life depends on me staying cool and "thinking" rather than panicking.

Thanks for that... when I do experience my first incident, I'll remember your cool demeanor and act accordingly.

I wonder how many lives this forum has saved?
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Please watch this video: (7 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-17AHJQQ8fA

--Brian

Heads up, y'all. We are off the Australia and New Zealand for a month, so if I am slow to reply to questions, that's why. Time to teach down under!!

--Bri
+ Stay Positive!

I should probably mention that spinning for this long can result in your cutaway cables getting sucked up into the grommet, increasing the pull force significantly. Would I have been able to cut away after spinning for 80 seconds... maybe.

bg

Agree .. if it spins up and is diving ...I chop it ( 6 so far )... I'd rather go pick my main up from a field than have someone pick me up from lying in a field....

Dont agree with the fight it theme ... it might be ok if you have the ability to recognise that the situation is recoverable ( I certainly dont have that ability )but fucken deadly if you cant ...

Flipper ...

I understand not wanting to spin for a long time, but fight hard at first. That way you will not have to cut away as often. If you expect that you will have to cut away, you are more likely to give up too soon. Remember, after that you are all out of parachutes...

I'm going to out myself as a big geek here, but if you had hit G-LOC, would you have had any chance of not burning in?

It seems like a gyro-accelerometer-altimeter package could be put together relatively easily that would detect a spin where it is not possible to maintain consciousness, and automatically perform a cutaway. Obviously you'd want to have it lock out below 1000 feet or so. Have it look at both the instantaneous G-force and various time intervals of G force (10g for 1 second, 8g for 5 seconds, or whatever) and the rotational speed (more than one rotation per second coupled with the above acceleration threshholds)

I'm going to out myself as a big geek here, but if you had hit G-LOC, would you have had any chance of not burning in?

It seems like a gyro-accelerometer-altimeter package could be put together relatively easily that would detect a spin where it is not possible to maintain consciousness, and automatically perform a cutaway. Obviously you'd want to have it lock out below 1000 feet or so. Have it look at both the instantaneous G-force and various time intervals of G force (10g for 1 second, 8g for 5 seconds, or whatever) and the rotational speed (more than one rotation per second coupled with the above acceleration threshholds)

Sounds like a very complicate risky venture. If the unit malfunctions, it will chop you during the hook turn. That would be a new category of fatality. Yuck...

First off - Awesome vid. I always appreciate the knowledge you give back to the sport.

You mention the possibility of lines melting. Were you not afraid of the damage you might have done to your canopy whilst spinning? Did you make a conservative landing? Would suck to have a line brake half way through your final turn.B|

That was a pretty intense video. Chucky had a spinning line twist cutaway a few weeks ago at the farm, he got video of it, very intense also. Being new to the sport (27 jumps) I haven't had a malfunction yet, I'm just glad people have video cameras so I can see what it will actually look like when its happening. Good video.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

First off - Awesome vid. I always appreciate the knowledge you give back to the sport.

You mention the possibility of lines melting. Were you not afraid of the damage you might have done to your canopy whilst spinning? Did you make a conservative landing? Would suck to have a line brake half way through your final turn.B|

That was a concern, but as I got out of the line-twists by 7500 feet, I had plenty of time to assess the situation, and perform some high G turns to stress out the lines. On landing, I tried to perform a 270 front riser turn as usual, but couldn't hold the riser down because I was too physically exhausted. I switched to a carving harness/toggle turn and got a great swoop anyway. When I landed, I dropped to my knees and couldn't get up for several minutes. Very, Very tired...

That was (subjectively) the longest jump I can remember.
+

Great video, but I most want to know, who sings the song, "trust your cape?"

Thanks for sharing

Great one, isn't it! It was done by an artist named Martin Simpson. The track is called "The Cape"

Inspiring...