BrianSGermain

Spinning Linetwists Malfunction Video

"in this case, i'm not cutting the parachute away, because, #1" ... (my own inturpretation) because, I didn't want to have to find the main after it was cut away from 12000 feet. :D:D

On a seriouse note. I'm curious, because I do not fly a HP canopy.. How much altitude was burned while in those line twists? .. Where were you when you finally cleared them?

CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Brian,
Before you unstowed the brakes and started trying to steer out of the line twists it looked like you were trying to twist the risers together into the direction of turn. This is how I get out of alot of tandem line twists. I find it to be very effective. Can you explain why this works so well?

Brian, some years ago you were in the Netherlands for a weekend full of seminars (by you and a couple of others) for (almost all) Dutch instructors, tuning up their knowledge. I recall your saying at that occasion you had never cut away a production model parachute because of linetwists, and stating that most people cut away sooner and more often than necessary when faced with diving linetwists. In this video, I hear you advocating cutting away in this situation immediately.

Did you change your mind, are the situations incomparable, are you different somehow from the rest of us (I mean this in no bad way, really. Most of us don't have 13000 jumps, I know I don't, and I highly respect you), or what else did I not pick up on?

Nice work on the video too. You were fully admitting to being all revved up during and after clearing the twists, but the effect of the calm voice-over was to keep my heart rate down while watching rather radical twists being kicked out of, and that can only help deal with my dealing with my next spinner (if and when ..) and that can only be a good thing. Editing in the good jump after made it complete.

And yes, Laura looks lovely, all blue and performing very well and radiant. (So, when are you going to make an honest woman out of her? :P)

Johan.
I am. I think.

Brian, some years ago you were in the Netherlands for a weekend full of seminars (by you and a couple of others) for (almost all) Dutch instructors, tuning up their knowledge. I recall your saying at that occasion you had never cut away a production model parachute because of linetwists, and stating that most people cut away sooner and more often than necessary when faced with diving linetwists. In this video, I hear you advocating cutting away in this situation immediately.

A number of years ago I nearly bounced due to spinning linetwists. I stopped the spin and got it out at 500ft after having lost altitude awareness. Big mistake. Well, now I have a 1 revolution rule. I'm jumping at a wingloading that I will burn through 1000ft before I know it and the G-forces will be as such that I may not be able to cutaway if I fight it for too long.

Thus I had my 6th cutaway (2nd sport cutaway) last weekend. Hop-n-pop that bounced out of the container and spun up (4 linetwists). I was thrown to my back and spun HARD. I grabbed the opposing riser group and pulled as hard as I could, but it still didn't right the spin. Chopped it. Velo 111 loaded at 2.55:1.

(As a side note a PDr-176 swoops decently).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

***Brian, some years ago you were in the Netherlands for a weekend full of seminars (by you and a couple of others) for (almost all) Dutch instructors, tuning up their knowledge. I recall your saying at that occasion you had never cut away a production model parachute because of linetwists, and stating that most people cut away sooner and more often than necessary when faced with diving linetwists. In this video, I hear you advocating cutting away in this situation immediately.

A number of years ago I nearly bounced due to spinning linetwists. I stopped the spin and got it out at 500ft after having lost altitude awareness. Big mistake. Well, now I have a 1 revolution rule. I'm jumping at a wingloading that I will burn through 1000ft before I know it and the G-forces will be as such that I may not be able to cutaway if I fight it for too long.

Thus I had my 6th cutaway (2nd sport cutaway) last weekend. Hop-n-pop that bounced out of the container and spun up (4 linetwists). I was thrown to my back and spun HARD. I grabbed the opposing riser group and pulled as hard as I could, but it still didn't right the spin. Chopped it. Velo 111 loaded at 2.55:1.

(As a side note a PDr-176 swoops decently).Oh, I've chopped three spinners myself. I didn't agree with Brian then, but that's not what I was asking about. I'm hoping to pick his brain on the apparent inconsistency of those two statements. Or I recalled wrong, that's a possibility. It was more than 15 minutes and more than a couple of beers ago, after all.
Johan.
I am. I think.

I like the way you talk man. Just calm and steady. No big talk, just a classy explanation of what it's all about. Reminds me of Helmut Dähne's commentary to his insanely fast lap of the Nürburgring.

Post production. Post scary chit. A great lesson, however. Thanks for the freebie BG.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

did you find that unstowing the brakes helped in any way?

Ultimately, unstowing the brakes and flying the parachute was the only reason why the spin stopped. Had that not happened, I never would have gotten out of it.

I should also mention that I do not recommend trying this, since the parachute spun faster and dove harder once I started monkeying around with it. I had time on my side. If I had been at 3000' there is no question what I would have done. Hello PD126R.

Further, had the lines been spectra, they would most likely would have melted and become unsafe. My friend had that happen in New Mexico a few months ago. Someone broke his steering line with his bare hands after he landed from a line-twist spin. I had 350 lb HMA on the suspension lines, and 550 Dacron on the mid and lower steering lines. This may also have reduced the friction, allowing me to steer the canopy.

To answer your question directly, though, yes, it ended up being the right choice for me in this particular situation, which is most notably not normal at all.

BG
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

"in this case, i'm not cutting the parachute away, because, #1" ... (my own inturpretation) because, I didn't want to have to find the main after it was cut away from 12000 feet. :D:D

On a serious note. I'm curious, because I do not fly a HP canopy.. How much altitude was burned while in those line twists? .. Where were you when you finally cleared them?

No comment on the first issue... :)

The canopy spun until 7500 feet. That is 6000' of lost altitude. That works out to be 69 mile per hour towards the ground. Yea, baby...

Brian,
Before you unstowed the brakes and started trying to steer out of the line twists it looked like you were trying to twist the risers together into the direction of turn. This is how I get out of a lot of tandem line twists. I find it to be very effective. Can you explain why this works so well?

I was using the only technique that has proven to me to bring the twist down, rather than up. Spreading the risers apart only maintains the canopy's anhedral arc, which will reduce it's roll axis stability. In other words, bringing the risers can help the canopy come out of the spin. John LeBlanc also teaches this.

That being said, this was not working on this prototype. I have successfully kicked out of all the linetwists I have been dealt so far using this technique, (asside from canopies that were not shaped like a parachute)(I had one that turned upside-down at the center cell).

There will always be situations that no technique will be sufficient to prevent a cutaway, as this jump proves.

BG

Did you change your mind, are the situations incomparable, are you different somehow from the rest of us (I mean this in no bad way, really. Most of us don't have 13000 jumps, I know I don't, and I highly respect you), or what else did I not pick up on?

Nice work on the video too. You were fully admitting to being all revved up during and after clearing the twists, but the effect of the calm voice-over was to keep my heart rate down while watching rather radical twists being kicked out of, and that can only help deal with my dealing with my next spinner (if and when ..) and that can only be a good thing. Editing in the good jump after made it complete.

And yes, Laura looks lovely, all blue and performing very well and radiant. (So, when are you going to make an honest woman out of her? :P)

I stand by my original statements that if you fight right from the beginning using good technique, you can get out of many line-twists. However, there are situations that develop quickly, as this one did, and the right choice is to chop it before the "G"s hit you. Cutaway cables can get sucked into grommets, risers can get pinched (I have hard housings in my risers), and sometimes this prevents a cutaway. In such situations, chop it.

If however, you find the canopy in twists after opening, fight hard right away. You will know within a few seconds if this one is irrecoverable or not. Going into it with the expectation of cutting away, however, forfeits the possibility of a recovery. That's what I was trying to get across in the seminar.

BSG

...And yes, Laura looks lovely, all blue and performing very well and radiant. (So, when are you going to make an honest woman out of her? :P)

I agree. I put an engagement ring on her finger at the Thanksgiving table this past November. Thought I was going to pass out from that jump...

Transcending Fear, baby!

To me I see a shoulder low deployment, and then a hesitation, followed by line stretch, and then a partially inflated symmetrical canopy flying into twists.

I can see how you might think that, as the aircraft started into a diving turn as soon as I got out. I have a second camera angle (headcam) that shows that I was stable on this deployment. Mentally, well that's another matter...

I could be wrong, but it appears that it's packed with twists? Intentional?

The linetwists were definitely NOT intentional. I'm not that stupid.

The truth is, I have no idea why it was in line twists instantaneously. It was weird how it was exactly on heading.

No, I didn't pack it.

Nah, didn't think you were stupid, you're a canopy test pilot.;) Oddly enough, I'd just watched Gary Peek's video with the intention line twists this morning.
Add to that the altitude at which you dumped...I assumed you were seeing what might happen re; line twists.
I musta been under the influence of Peeks.

whew.....very excellent presentation...

unique camera angle...

I sometimes:S;);)
find myself with lines twists, though i jump a relatively docile main.....
and as you suggest, I "get on It right away".. and can clear them...

I've only just returned from 9 days at the very airport , over which your footage was created and right from the view of the "green water", when the door opened,,, I knew where it was...B|

to see the runways, and the swoop pond, and the landing area, all over again , after having just experienced them in real time,,,, was a pleasure.....

nice skydive, NICE music..... nice swoop.....

have fun, stay safe, carry On.......

jimmy from frontier:)