pontiacgtp00

A bit nervous about first 10 second delay

Title says it all. I did my first clear and pull this past saturday. I was dissatisfied although my instructor said I did a good job. I threw the pc and flipped onto my left side and saw the pc inflate and I was like oh no, this is bad. I swear I felt the bridle hit me in the forearm, then I was whipped around by the canopy deploying. My instructor said I went right back belly to earth after the pc was thrown. I was a bit disoriented.

Anyway my 10 second delay is next, probably won't jump this weekend, but next hopefully. Kinda worried about stability. I get fairly disoriented when I let go of the strut, but I'm getting better at it. Anyone else have or had problems with orientation?

Firstly, take a deep breath and relax. That will help you more then you know.

Secondly, listen to your instructor. Doing what your instructor tells you to do along with relaxing will help you more then you can imagine to get past your 10 second delays. Before you know it you'll be at 10.5 and completing the rest of your student progression.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Title says it all. I did my first clear and pull this past saturday. I was dissatisfied although my instructor said I did a good job. I threw the pc and flipped onto my left side and saw the pc inflate and I was like oh no, this is bad. I swear I felt the bridle hit me in the forearm, then I was whipped around by the canopy deploying. My instructor said I went right back belly to earth after the pc was thrown. I was a bit disoriented.

Anyway my 10 second delay is next, probably won't jump this weekend, but next hopefully. Kinda worried about stability. I get fairly disoriented when I let go of the strut, but I'm getting better at it. Anyone else have or had problems with orientation?

Not since GPS ;)

Seriously though, I went through standard progression way back when (very limited access to AFF where I was then). Listen and work with your instructors on the ground. You'll get through the sensory overload.

As hard as it seems, relax and have fun with it.

Good Luck

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Yeah, on the ground and the way up I always visualize the jump, everything from the climbout to the landing. Helps me out a great deal.

I'm going to talk it over with my instructors next time I'm at the dz, do a ton of practice on the ground, and visualize the jump. Then go do it!

Thanks for the luck and replies!

Firstly, take a deep breath and relax. That will help you more then you know.

Remember that this advice does not start in the plane but way before the jump. Hurrying out to the plane is a sure way of over-amping / tensing-up.

Be there early, get your briefing done, do ground practice, walk out to the boarding area as soon as you are allowed, re-think the plan, relax and then just enjoy the drive & dive.

JC

If you woke up breathing, congratulations!
You get another chance.

Good for you going through the proper progression systemB|.

It sounds like you have your head on straight and have the right attitude, so rehearse your drills and enjoy the jump.

The disorientation (from memory) comes from the compressed time period (we have very little time and lots to think about on those early jumps) and does become less quickly as yoy progress - I think that what I'm trying to say is that it's natural to feel that way - it will pass.

Good luck, smile and have FUN!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I found my first real delay was actually easier than the clear and pull.
__

My mighty steed

Baby steps theroy.

Just try to focus on doing your best at one task at a time. If you want to worry about something on the dive, wait until it is time to worry about that part of the dive, Stress out in the order the events will occur.:D

Ok now to your concerns about stability on exit:

Do what your instrcutors tell you. MAKE it look EASY and don't forget to smile.

... I threw the pc and flipped onto my left side and saw the pc inflate and I was like oh no, this is bad. .... I get fairly disoriented when I let go of the strut, but I'm getting better at it. Anyone else have or had problems with orientation?

hiya, 2 things:
- first, when you let go of the strut, where are you looking? we were taught to always look up at the plane - helps keep your arch and keep you on heading - that might help?
- when you say flipped on your side - did your instructor give feedback as to why? ie was it from not arching/generally unstable, or from not pulling your left arm in as you pulled?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

hiya, 2 things:
- first, when you let go of the strut, where are you looking? we were taught to always look up at the plane - helps keep your arch and keep you on heading - that might help?
- when you say flipped on your side - did your instructor give feedback as to why? ie was it from not arching/generally unstable, or from not pulling your left arm in as you pulled?

I always look up at the wing, let go, and keep looking up at the plane for a few seconds, or try my best to, everything gets a bit blurry when I drop. As for turning on my side, I believe I lifted my right shoulder and dropped my left when I reached for the pc, in turn flipping me onto my side. My instructors have said that I have had a good arch on all my jumps except the first and the fourth.

Once again thanks for all the advice!

Deep breath and jump just relax, after all this is supposed to be fun right? albeit expensive but fun.

Joy for fear. Love it!!!

I can also recommend a bit of light reading on the topic as well...
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Glad to hear it went good dude! I'll never forget my first 10 second, it was the first time getting to terminalish speeds....Such a cool feeling when everything gets real loud!

So, that was your first time to terminal....Right?
I got nuthin

Yeah it was, well not counting my tandem atleast. Had a hell of a lot of fun this weekend, got my first 10 second and both 15 second delays on video too.

Dude!!!! You're digging the hole deeper and deeper! Before you type about any more firsts read thesehttp://www.skydiving.org.vt.edu/goodstuff/beer.htm;)

Congrats brother!
I got nuthin

Dude!!!! You're digging the hole deeper and deeper! Before you type about any more firsts read thesehttp://www.skydiving.org.vt.edu/goodstuff/beer.htm;)

Congrats brother!

Hahahaha I guess I'll owe a lot of beer in when I'm 21.....in 3 years....B|:D

Where is Tri-state Skydivers?

It is in South Point, OH, Lawrence County airport.

So, that was your first time to terminal....Right?

Yeah it was, well not counting my tandem atleast. Had a hell of a lot of fun this weekend, got my first 10 second and both 15 second delays on video too.

Lets see these video's!!!
Wanna Hug It Out, Lets Hug It Out..Bitch!

having just quilfied myself, you'v got loads more funky stuff to come soon :D

I found if I became more relaxed and floppy like and kept my head up, instead of riggid in freefall, I could stay on heading better and when it came to turns and so on it helps regaining your arch and position. So I' say just trust your gear and training and relax :)

as for VHS to computer if you have a video card in your computer (pick them up cheap these days) you could plug your vhs straight in computer acting like your tv would or just record iton a video camera while it plays on your TV and upload it to our computer.

Hope you have loads of fun with your freefalling :)

next time, I'm coming back as a Bird that can Dive
-------------------------------------------
I'm on Facebook as "Michael McNulty", drop me a line