dropdeded

With respect, question about Perris Otter Crash Victims (1992)

I watched the tribute video Nickdg posted and thought I'd throw this out here and maybe get an answer to something I have wondered about. First I'd like to express respect to those both involved and affected by the crash, I mean no disrespect and this personally is out of something more than just "morbid curiosity".

I bought a rig a few years back and have been told by a couple of "oldtimers" that someone "went in" wearing it, in that crash.

None of that freaks me out at all, and to be honest I give a silent nod to the angel on my back every time I jump it.

My question is can I and SHOULD I give that angel a face and a name:|

If anyone is interested in giving me some input, pm please.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Two things~

1, What video? Been off the boards for a couple weeks and I guess I missed something good. Gotta link?

2, I had a similar situation in that I bought a rig 'with history' to it.

The few that knew the story would occasionally kid me....you know that rig doesn't 'always' work...and called it "certified almost bounce proof"...etc.

I knew who's it was, knew them personally ...so it didn't really bother me to have 'em along on the dives.

On the other hand, sometimes it was a bit of a burden to explain the story to someone with questions...and flat out gave some others the creeps.

A rig is a rig for the most part, if YOU want the history as a personal thing that is certainly understandable, but I would keep it to myself, unless asked specific questions...

...making a 'show of it' may cause someone else some distress for whatever reasons, and you don't want to be the cause of any hard feelings / bad memories, just because you bought a rig. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I jumped Larry Fatino's rig for a few years after the Perris crash. He was doing a tandem on the load so he wasn't wearing it. I bought it from his son who needed the money at the time. Never really thought about it while jumping it. Larry was a good guy!

Well... no disrespect intended by me either... but you could look at it this way... if this rig really was with someone on the Perris crash, then the chances of it ever being in another plane crash are astronomical! Kind of like lightening hitting the same place twice. So, if you're wearing it, by induction, your chances of being in an airplane crash are just as nil. ;)

Here is a question, I heard that the fire killed the people on that plane.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now that is a stupid question!!!!!!! Try doing a search and find out!!!!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

>I heard that the fire killed the people on that plane.

Nope. A crash compounded by no seat belts killed them.

Caused by contaminated fuel? Do I remember that correctly?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

At the time we sat on the floor of the Otter facing aft with the person in front of you between your legs. It was the fashion of the day and we also did the same in Beeches, DC-3s, etc. And while some jump planes had seat belts on the floor it was kind of up to you to use them or not, and almost nobody did. But even if they had used them, with the belt around your waist it would only keep you from sliding aft, not forward.

The aircraft nosed into the ground and taking into consideration the seating arrangement I just mentioned the results were horrible to see, or even recount here, so I'll let you figure it out.

After this everyone went to bench seating where a seat belt might actually do you some good by keeping you in place. So in this case even if someone toward the front did survive the initial impact they were crushed under the weight of everyone in front of them.

The four survivors (all badly hurt) were the last ones in the plane and they landed on top of the pile of bodies.

There was no fire.

I'll never sit in an aircraft again with someone between my legs . . .

NickD

>>What do you do in aircraft with no benches now? Or with straddle benches?
With no benches I sit with my legs to the side of the person in front of me. If everyone aboard does the same, and alternates sides, it all works out almost the same room wise.

If they only have straddle benches I'll asked them to roll out the Cessna or go to another DZ . . .

NickD :)

Never know. Check out the attached pic... all 11 on board survived. Seatbelts aren't the only thing that allowed everyone to survive, but they played a vital role. I've seen the seats from that aircraft, set up in a lab where they were studied to understand how each occupant was injured and why some were injured worse than others. Really interesting stuff...

Dave

> I a crash like that I don't think it would matter how you were sitting.

Not true. The people who survived that crash did so because they were not crushed by other bodies. People in well designed seats (even poorly designed seats) are far more likely to survive crashes than people who sit directly on the floor and are free to slide.